Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mac does have built-in speech recognition (Source) but it is not the same level as Dragon Naturally Speaking which is generally acknowledged as the best such software. I use a MacBook Pro with Parallels that runs Windows in a window. It is a very fast computer.

There are several third party voice recognition software packages for the Mac. I had bought IBM ViaVoice once to try it out but IBM did not upgrade the software for the newer systems. Most reviews say that MacSpeech iListen 1.7 with Pro Xpress USB Headset and microphone is the best speech-recognition software for the Mac. According to reviews, it is not as accurate as Dragon but works well with OSX (Source) and it is reasonably cheap at ~$100 (Source).

I know that the OSX system is very flexible and you should be able to get the software to control virtually anything on your computer. By the way, I am a Mac user from the beginning and have never used a PC (more than an hour or two). I use a Mac not only because i think that it is a better computer and has a better operating system that is not as susceptible to viruses. I use it because I have to look at the screen of a computer 8-12 hours a day. If I had to stare that long at a Windows computer screen, it would be horrible. The Mac is just so much better from that perspective. But, then that is all subjective.

Wise.

Comment

Is the best/cheapest place to by a Mac at Apple.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim
        Is the best/cheapest place to by a Mac at Apple.com?
        Or an Apple store. But I have seen some deals at MacConnection where you can get $100 or so off, plus a free copy of Parallels and a free photo printer. So you can sometimes find them cheaper, but generally I think you'll find the same prices with other retailers (CompUSA, etc). It's worth looking around though.

Wherever you buy a Mac, you can always take it to an Apple store for service.
        Last edited by Scorpion; 02-19-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
          As for your lack of software argument, the only area this is true is in regards to games.
          Serious questions - what types of databases and can a Mac run? What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
            I use it because I have to look at the screen of a computer 8-12 hours a day. If I had to stare that long at a Windows computer screen, it would be horrible. The Mac is just so much better from that perspective. But, then that is all subjective.
            The aesthetics of the MacOS have always been a plus for me, and OSX blew away anything that came before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho
              Serious questions - What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.
              Programming languages are OS independant. You just need a comipler of said OS to make a program.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho
                Serious questions - what types of databases and can a Mac run? What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.
                I'm not really familiar with database stuff, but the MacOSX is UNIX-based, if that helps give you more info. You can run OpenSource XCode programs such as OpenOffice.org, for example (I have it on my iMac). You can find Developer info on Apple's site, too.

Here's a list of database software available for the Mac [From Pure Mac] (there may be more)...

Database Editors/Managers
                Aqua Data Studio
                CocoaMySQL
                Navicat MySQL
                Navicat PostgreSQL
                phpMyAdmin
                SQLEditor
                SQL4X Manager
                SQLGrinder
                YourSQL

Database Programs
                AppleWorks
                EagleData
                FileMaker Pro
                4th Dimension
                FrontBase
                iData
                iList Data
                MySQL
                OpenBase
                Panorama
                Papyrus
                PostgreSQL
                REAL SQL Server
                Valentina

Also from Pure Mac, here are programming resources, etc.

Scripting
                Affrus
                FaceSpan
                F-Script
                Komodo
                Locomotive
                Pashua
                Platypus
                Python
                Script Debugger

BASIC
                Chipmunk Basic
                FutureBASIC
                Metal
                Omikron BASIC
                REALbasic

C, C++ etc.
                CodeWarrior
                Xcode

Java
                Java
                BlueJ
                Eclipse SDK
                JJEdit
                WebObjects
                Xcode

Miscellaneous
                Dreamcard
                Fortran
                Macintosh Common Lisp
                PRC-Tools
                Revolution
                Scratch
                Squeak
                SuperCard
                Unity
                XGP
                XL Fortran
                XLogo

Web Programming
                BasaOne
                ColdFusion
                Lasso
                PHP
                Ruby
                Ruby on Rails
                WebObjects
                Zend Studio

Debuggers, Etc.
                AppKiDo
                Bugzilla
                CHUD Tools
                Eggplant
                iota-calc
                MacsBug
                ResCompare
                TestTrack Pro
                Editors

Editors
                BBEdit
                HexEdit
                ResEdit
                Resorcerer
                skEdit
                TextMate

Installers
                Iceberg
                InstallAnywhere
                Installer VISE
                StuffIt InstallerMaker
                VISE X

Version Control
                Cross VC XXL
                MacCVSClient
                Perforce
                SmartSVN
                Subversion
                Surround SCM
                VOODOO Server

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                  Programming languages are OS independant. You just need a comipler of said OS to make a program.
                  What Patonb said.

Comment

Thanks Scorpion... your 'best of both worlds' argument was helpful for me. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the MB PRO with Parllels in order to run Dragon. I only use DNS about 20% of my computer time and so I shoulde be able to manage.

Question: Is now a good time to get the MB PRO, or are they going to be releasing a new laptop or OS soon?

I love the debate my little ? started!
                    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
                    Isaiah 40:29-31

Comment

PN -- Thx 4 the graphic of parallels! Do you know of anyone who isusing this daily? Any kinks/probs? I want to useDragon via this... what ya think?
                      "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
                      Isaiah 40:29-31

Comment

Originally posted by SurfCat
                        Question: Is now a good time to get the MB PRO, or are they going to be releasing a new laptop or OS soon?

I love the debate my little ? started!
                        I'd wait. Til Leopard.
                        Meow.

Comment

I just bought my 11th Mac...I now have only a laptop. I listened to the advice of others and ended up with the lowest grade of the current laptops with maxed out memory and a bigger hard drive. I decided I could get a better dvd burner than the one included and not add to the weight of the laptop. I also am going to get a flat screen monitor that is enormous compared to my little lightweight laptop. I'm spending my money on the extras instead of the basic laptop,

I love Macs because they are intuitive and beautiful and they do everything I need a computer to do.
                          Susan
                          Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

Comment

I was curious (and too lazy to look) about .NET since Office will run on a Mac. I also wondered about the ability to play with SQL Server and Oracle.

Comment

I'm a Mac and PC user, currently. I've had my PowerBook G4 for a year and a half for work and pretty well love it. However, I did just get it back today after having it in various shops for two weeks with a hardrive crash and losing all my data.

Even after that, I plan to have my next upgrade be a joint machine and toss the PC to the curb.
                              C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Hmmm.. Question.. Can you run DNS in Paralells to control the OSX, or am I missing your guys idea.

I wouldn't think it'd be possible to do that.... but i've never did any emulating

Comment

Working...
                                X