DLP vs Plasma TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLP vs Plasma TV

Do any of you folks know about DLP vs Plasma technology. I have been seeing some beautiful large screen DLPs at very competive prices versus plasma so I was wondering what I should buy. Any thoughts?
    mike

Originally posted by mike
    Do any of you folks know about DLP vs Plasma technology. I have been seeing some beautiful large screen DLPs at very competive prices versus plasma so I was wondering what I should buy. Any thoughts?
    I've just been looking at them in the showroom like yourself. I'm very impressed with DLP and I think if the depth of the set is not an issue, that's what I would buy. I keep seeing fast motion blurring in all of these high definition technologies. LCD still seems to be the worst, with plasma and DLP being markedly better.

DLP is a very new technology, so its reliability is still unknown.

Comment

2007 Samsung DLPs... no lamp!

I'm waiting to see the 2007 Samsung DLP's. Instead of a lamp they are using LEDs! Less power consumption, longer lasting, less heat, only around 13-15 inches of depth, and a wall mountable rear projection TV.
      Here is a thread on them:
      http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30
      I just hope the price isn't outrageous. These should bring down the prices on last years Samsung models.
      Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Plasma seems to be a passing fad, the DLP and LCD projectors are getting up there as far as thinness, image quality and black levels go. Unless you really need to hang it on a wall or something.

Samsung using LED's as the light source, that is cool. I hate hearing the fan cooling the lightbulb in my Sony LCD projector. TV's sure are getting cheaper and better compared to 2 years ago. I know I want to get something like a 60" LCD or DLP 1080 Progressive, and that will cost maybe 2/3 or less compared to my 55" 720P native LCD I bought 2 years ago. Good TV buying times indeed. Maybe I'll go apeshit and blow a wad on a 70" unit...I'll bet that will be really cool with the new 'gaming' computer I built. Who wants to give me some money? LOL

Comment

Myself, PLASMA is the ONLY one. Best gaming monitor for a computer for also. That's the main reason I have one.
          Been many a thread here on this. I think this was the most recent...
          /forum/showthread.php?t=71017

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Andy, spoil yourself and go BIG!! I did and love my 71'' Samsung DLP 1080p. I salivate at the thought of a 102'' or 103'' plasma or LCD. Can you imagine?

I go to a local BrandsMart store that is quite a bit lower in prices and deal mostly with Samsung. I have yet to see anyone compete with them. It seems that plasma and DLP's are declining in price and LCD's are on a slow incline. Probly bc of the popularity..

My fan on my DLP only runs after turning the unit off and not for long, like 1 minute or so. Or atleast I don't notice it as it's very quiet. I am thoroughly satisfied with it.

The LED technology sounds great on the '07's, but I won't hurry out and buy one. Let them get any kinks worked out.

OMG, check out this cool pic of the 102''...

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/P...50901img_l.jpg
            Last edited by 2jazzyjeff; 01-14-2007, 08:50 PM.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
              OMG, check out this cool pic of the 102''...
              That is one BIG tv set!

Hmm, that 1080 Progressive TV might be sooner than later in my future, seems the sort-of gf might want to buy this one for her leaving me project, no TV might be quite the incentive to actually buy one.

Comment

Personally, I love the Sony Bravia X-Series. A true HD LCD panel is as crisp a panel as you can get - but they're still pricey at the high end.

In 5 years time, LCD will be it. DLP and plasma are a stop-gap until then. Want proof? Look for a 20" monitor for your PC - LCD is the only game in town.

Chris.
                Last edited by Zeus; 01-15-2007, 12:08 AM. Reason: Damn typos
                Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Originally posted by cspanos
                  Personally, I love the Sony Bravia X-Series. A true HD LCD panel is as crisp a panel as you can get - but they're still pricey at the high end.

Chris.
                  I'm with you. LCD is the only way to go. Among other reasons, I don't like the glossy finish on the screen of the plasmas which is a reminder of old tube. Burning is still an issue with the plasmas. I have the 32" sony xbr bravia and the resolution is outstanding. $1800.00 but well worth it. I'm sure in three years the price will come down and I will be getting a 40"+ sony for the price I paid for this one. Then this will go in the bedroom and the other in family room.

Comment

Y'all might want to wait a few months for the new Laser HDTV..
                    Soon-to-be-listed Australian company Arasor International and its US partner Novalux unveiled what they claimed to be the world's first laser television in Sydney today, with a pitch that it would be half the price, twice as good, and use a quarter of the electricity of conventional plasma and LCD TVs.
                    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20556847-2,00.html

Many big playas are into it including Mitubishi

Comment

Originally posted by cara_m
                      I'm with you. LCD is the only way to go. Among other reasons, I don't like the glossy finish on the screen of the plasmas which is a reminder of old tube. Burning is still an issue with the plasmas. I have the 32" sony xbr bravia and the resolution is outstanding. $1800.00 but well worth it. I'm sure in three years the price will come down and I will be getting a 40"+ sony for the price I paid for this one. Then this will go in the bedroom and the other in family room.
                      I run my plasma round the clock except for when I sleep. Did the same with my first one. NEVER had a hint of burn in. Not sure what you mean by glossy finish. All I see is the picture. I have many channels which show their 'icon' in the bottom left corner full time, which would be the most likely object to cause burn in, i guess.

I still wouldn't have bought any of the other types. Their picture sharpness and contrast/brightness levels don't hold a candle to it. And I run my brightness/contrast/color at <40 % of the levels they are capable of. I am in a BRIGHT room with big windows and no curtains.
                      Once again, it is all about the end users satisfaction, not my opinions. I suggest as usual, for the money you are going to spend, go look and compare in store, side by side. You won't be dissapointed whichever way you go. A big screen sure is better than the 13inch B&W tv that we had til we got our first used color tv when I was in 7th grade. But again I never spent a lot of time watching tv then.

I'm curious about the laser, it is STILL rear projection, but we will soon see. Unless ED sends my big check in the mail, I won't be buying another anyway.

Comment

Hey Capn, what is the native resolution of that plasma? I do like the black levels those are supposed to have vs the LCD's and I want top notch image quality for my por...general business uses. As I am too lazy to reasearch...are plasma's able to do 1080 progressive?

Change of plan again, I posted earlier in this thread that I'd be unloading my HDTV, but now I'm keeping it. I came to the realization that trying to read 1920x1080 from across the room wouldnt work too well at times. Rearrangeing the room wouldnt be too slick either. Now the plan is to save a big chunk of cash and fullfill the resolution wants via a 24" 1920x1200 LCD on a swivelboom arm next to my lazyboy type chairs. It can move aside to transfer, able to use the surround sound from the home theater system still, and be easy to see as the screen would be directly in front of my noggin. Moves out of the way for uncluttered appearance when not in use. Now to find what sort of monitor arms are out there...

Comment

Mine is 720p. Yes there are 1080p plasmas and have been for a while.
                          Your business viewing pleasure will be greatly enhanced by the plasma experience,lol. I personally don't do business usage, but all my photography portraits look lifelike. Looking into an eyeball from a 3000 x 2000 photo on a 42 in screen is a TRIP! Puts new meaning into 'window of the soul'.
                          I have an LG, can't think of the model offhand.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                            I run my plasma round the clock except for when I sleep. Did the same with my first one. NEVER had a hint of burn in. Not sure what you mean by glossy finish. All I see is the picture. I have many channels which show their 'icon' in the bottom left corner full time, which would be the most likely object to cause burn in, i guess.
                            Let me first say that I am not tech savvy so I hope you are able to follow what I am saying. When the plasma's and lcd's are side by side in the stores the plasmas definitely show greater resolution. However the plasmas have a more crtstal brite screen as opposed to the flat liquid crystal display. The resolution on my lcd is still phenominal that if they weren't side by side you would never know. As you said it is user preference and I believe that if the plasma tv were to be placed across the room from a picture window you would be more apt to get the glare from the light from outside. Actually I had a similar discussion with someone whom I was considering buying another laptop from. I personally like my flat finish screen on my laptop that I have now and not the "glossy" crystal brite screen that he wanted to sell me. We actually went back and forth on which we thought was better.

As far as the burning you are probably correct. The technology has advanced that it probably isn't a problem for occasional viewing, and from what I understand the visual for gaming is much better. Who knows, as technology advances I may move to other than lcd since my next major purchase will be in about 4 years. Hope I was able to explain my personal preference and didn't confuse you to much.

Comment

Yes I understand what you are saying. My nephew is like you and uses an lcd instead.
                              My plasma has several 'tools' that prevent burn-in from happening. The one I use is called 'orbiter'. It shifts the entire picture, 1 pixel, in a circle, over a period of time. My old one didn't have it but it still never had any burn-in issues. I basically had that thing on round the clock for over 2 years. I had a channel called 'Worship' on satellite that I played all nite while I slept. Beautiful, scriptural music, with video of nature scenes, national parks etc, from around the world. I still haven't taken down my dish an installed it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X