Gaming Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Addiction

I heard this from a movie trailer, Stay Alive, I think: "There are 100 million gamers in the US, one fourth of them are addicted."

I've tried, halfheartedly, to get into some of the more complex games but have always quit pretty quickly; the games wouldn't play after installation, etc., etc. Now I just kill time with the a few of the simple games like centipede and pinball.

I do wonder though, how many of the CCC are playing and how much of their time is being devoted to gameplay; how many consider themselves addicted or close to addicted? How many believe they were addicted at one time?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Juke

I've been mildly addicted to about 4 games in the past. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I mean I would pick up and play whenever I could, get up at 6am on Saturday to get some hours in before I had to do stuff, play bleary-eyed until 4am.

I barely play games any more because they're too complex for my hands. Bit of Sims 2 on the PC.

The games I got obsessed with always had a great filmic quality, strong scripts, characters, well-fleshed out worlds - they drew me in, like participating in a movie.

I read recently that the revenue generated by games has exceeded that of Hollywood for the first time. I'm not surprised - the two industries are consolidating, games will be an increasingly important media in the future.

Games like Gears of War on Xbox 360 look incredible. Very atmospheric. I could become addicted to that.

I want my hands back!

Halo 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65wUV6XlUM

MGS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4_ErTqn94

Zelda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6nxU_d6iWY

Gears of War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnsjDDnLck
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

I have this saying...so many games, so little time. That said, it is easy to get sucked into a game and play for hours on end, sometimes I kinda wish I had more time to play. I can remember in the past where I was in between jobs and the day would be spent playing a game, and those were some rather crude games by today's standards as well. I can imagine how today's games could attract all one's attention.

Comment

Oh yeah, one last thing...if they are currently addicted, do you think they will be taking the time to come to CC, read your post, and reply?

Comment

TIGER WOODS 07 nuff said cya lol

Comment

Originally posted by air ohs
            TIGER WOODS 07 nuff said cya lol
            Hi Air Ohs,

Do you play online?

I've got the Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions '04, '05 and '06 installed. I guess I'll have to spring for '07 pretty soon but they're all so much alike that I'm not in any great hurry.

Is there anything in particular that stands out in '07 from the earlier releases (if you know) that makes it worth buying? Except that you need more of a monster computer to max out all the Options in an e-golf game!

The latest nVidia driver suite finally allows me to play '04 in SLI mode. But V-sync still needs to be turned or forced off or the Swing Gauge (I'm a 3-Clicker) will stutter.

Have you tried any of the third party add-on courses from the Course Downloads website yet? They already have 54 new courses there for '07. Some are "real" courses and other are "fantasy" courses. No one has written Augusta for '07 yet but they have for '04, '05 and '06. There are hundreds of courses written (architeched) for each of the earlier Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions.

I really like the Nicklaus North Golf Course for '06. The scenery is great and it plays well. I think I have it for '05 too. Not available for '07, at least yet.

The CLSetup program makes installing the necessary "library" add-ons and courses easy. Click on the "Tiger Woods Course and library installer" to download it. You need to install different library add-ons like bridges, clubhouses and pin flags etc. for the different courses. Then you add the golf course last. You need the correct version of CLSetup for the particular version or year of Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

Downloads:

CLSetup v1.0 for Tiger Woods 07
            CLSetup v1.0d for Tiger Woods 06
            CLSetup v1.0 for Tiger Woods 2005
            CLSetup v1.2b for Tiger Woods 2004
            CLSetup v1.5 for Tiger Woods 2003

Fore! That's transmemberfied!

Bob.
            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
              Hi Air Ohs,

Do you play online?

I've got the Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions '04, '05 and '06 installed. I guess I'll have to spring for '07 pretty soon but they're all so much alike that I'm not in any great hurry.
              Bob.
              Bob and Air Ohs, does this mean that your're both addicted? Or that, in you opinions, you're close to addicted?

I ask this next prefacing it with the admission that I'm addicted to CC: if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?

Jukester (only for the Christmas season)
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

maybe some are just addicted to flax seed i was addicted to checkers,,never got into the nintendo stuff online,,used to spend hours searching for new programs checker cheat's used to beat me with, i would download pragram & practice against them until i could draw or beat them. but then hackers started taking my points even when they were losing, kind of lost interest.

intetresting the checkers game even with all the super computers out has not been perfected, while the supposedly more sophisticated chess game was perfected back in the 80's. havnt played chess in several years because it screws with checker's strategy but im up for a challenge in checkers or chess anytime

and theres one person here i really want to give a few dominoe lessons

Comment

omg.... I was so bad that I would miss work "sick" to play. that was 10 years ago all text based on a dialup connection. I don't play now because the gaming is so attractive to me.

My son and hubby play Neverwinter Nights and Battlefield and are trying to get me to play. I've watched Boog play from a safe distance and know just sitting in front of that screen would get me sucked right back in again.
                  http://official-linerider.com/index.html

Comment

Jadis, finally, what sniffs out an honest answer.
                    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                      Bob and Air Ohs, does this mean that your're both addicted? Or that, in you opinions, you're close to addicted?

I ask this next prefacing it with the admission that I'm addicted to CC: if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?

Jukester (only for the Christmas season)
                      No. I only play e-golf when I'm drunk and usually only with Dave, my ex-neighbor (he finally moved outta his parent's house.... again.... but "he'll be baaaaaaackkkk!") and shopper friend. So that's about twice, maybe three times a month. He now owes me $150,000.00! Once we get playing we'll play for a few/several hours. Last week we played until 2AM. I drank too much whiskey with the beer and had quite a hangover the next morning. Ouch.

I've only played it (Tiger Woods PGA Tour) online half a dozen times or so. But I used to belong to an online golf team called "The Goodfellas Golf Team". I think that was between MSGolf 3.0 up until they merged with another company (I forget the name) after releasing MSGolf 99. I played online a couple/few times a week against other teams... we almost won the championship ladder tournament... we came in second amid charges that the winning team cheated. I don't know if they did or not. But I don't like being forced to play a pre-determined number of ladder games per week as my busy schedule doesn't permit such luxuries! And the team would get together and practice too.... not on a regular schedule but whenever we saw each other online at the golfing forum. I don't like being "tied down" so to speak.

I try to combat flight sim every day to "stay in shape" but it's usually only a half hour mission... perhaps up to an hour each day. Nothing that I would consider an addiction.

I spend a lot more time reading and writing here at CC than I do e-golfing and combat flight simming combined. I'll combat fight sim online maybe once a month.... again, only after I get drunk and it becomes more fun!

The drunker I get the better I e-golf... I guess the drinking relaxes me and I can control the left mouse button/swing gauge better. At least up until a point. And that point comes sooner if I'm downing the whiskey too fast or if I take a hit or two of reefer that Dave is trying to "force" on me. The only way he can win is if he gets me totally zoned out! Actually we're very close skill-wise.... he just seems to lose it under the pressure of the last couple of holes. Hahaha.

Actually that's not totally true about the reefer. Sometimes it will zone me in and I'll play even better. I need the right combination of beer and whiskey chased with just a "taste" of late night reefer.

Originally posted by Steve
                      if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?
                      What's the extra "C" stand for.... "Community"?

I don't have an answer to your question..... I enjoy them both. It's like asking a mother to choose between her children. Well, with my brother's latest DUI ($300 for towing and impound fees paid for by Mom) plus defaulting to the tune of $16,000 on his car... (Mom was the co-signer!) and in essence throwing away (due to his latest DUI) about $3,000 in fees, fines and re-certification etc. trying to get his nursing license back.... I think my brother would probably get thrown overboard first! He might go to prison (not just the county jail) this time. You'd think that someone would learn after their 4th or 5th DUI and sentenced to 90 days (he served 60) of jail time. And they only count the DUIs he has in FL.... if they counted all the States he's gotten DUIs in he'd probably never see the light of day.

At least no one was hurt and the car can be sold for around $10,000. He won't be needing it were he's going... and I'm sure his driver's license will be suspended for years. I'm gonna try to find a drug rehab center for him but it doesn't look good. The rehab thing usually only works for wealthy movie stars etc. He needs long-term rehab treatment and has no health insurance. We need to find him a rehab "bed" that Medicaid will cover but that probably isn't in the cards. We have 'til the 4th, his court date, to find out. He hasn't even contacted a lawyer or public defender yet. I don't know what to think... or do with him.
                      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Bob, I sorry to hear about you brother's looming problems but I find it ironic that he's facing what societal sanctions he is while your x-neighbor ("but he'll be baaaccckkk", and I'll bet he will as I know the type) still skates free with the fairly plush free ride he enjoys at the taxpayers expense.

Thanks for answering my questions so candidly; I thought you'd ignore or evade. Honestly, I enjoy and spend so much time at my solitaire, pinball ( two PCs = two screens/games) and centipede (same as pinball) that I'd be loath to give them up almost as much as the CCC (carecure community), but CareCure would win. Gotta chuckle at your two kids analogy; you gotta way wit words.
                        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Games are too addictive. I was introduced to the world of online games when I was in sci rehab. Pre sci I was an arrogant twit who considered it the domain of nerds and social outcasts .

I loved playing RTS games like Age of Empires, then Age of Kings. Even with quad hands I could more than hold my own. Then a friend suggested I try mmorpgs, (multiplayer online role playing for the technopeasants ) and that was really fun. Ultima online was my favourite and the last one I played was world of warcraft. I havent been playing much in the past few years though, real life and work has intervened. Its too time consuming to be competitive because I cant stand losing or even not being the best.

I would have loved to play some of the FPS titles out there but I cant compete with functioning hands .
                          _____oOo_____
                          Phil C6
                          "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by CLC379
                            maybe some are just addicted to flax seed i was addicted to checkers,,never got into the nintendo stuff online,,used to spend hours searching for new programs checker cheat's used to beat me with, i would download pragram & practice against them until i could draw or beat them. but then hackers started taking my points even when they were losing, kind of lost interest.

intetresting the checkers game even with all the super computers out has not been perfected, while the supposedly more sophisticated chess game was perfected back in the 80's. havnt played chess in several years because it screws with checker's strategy but im up for a challenge in checkers or chess anytime

and theres one person here i really want to give a few dominoe lessons
                            that would be checker cheats, CLC,

Flax rules. I could go for a little chess.
                            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Hello, My name is Brent, and I'm an addict.. But then again i have nothhing else to do. Countless hours wasted/enjoyed playing Bf1942, Medal of Honour, Americas Army.. Now, NWN 1 &2.

Hey, AO, you should check out Voice Buddy

It really helps with keys.

Comment

Working...
                              X