No announcement yet.

My computer is better than yours!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have scrabble just the board version on my computer. I havent tried playing online with others. I play the Marvin (the computer) in different levels of difficulty. In the highest level, I can't win even with a scrabble dictionary.....LOL

I used to like to play spades online but gave it up because most do cheat and have card counters and the like. I used to like to play spades with some friends too but we havent gotten together to play in a while.

Judge Judy is my idol. I want to be just like her when I grow old!!! LOL

DA---what is an ENIAC?

I used to like trivial persuit....but I was usually the one in persuit! LOL They have the 80's version now...I think I could at least participate fully in that version. We got the 80's version of name that tune and there wasnt but one tune I could name. Apparently they forgot to get the lisencing permission from American bands/singers because most of them I had never heard of. I was music crazy in high school in the eighties so it sucked that I bought that game for nothing...LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Bob, funny how our latest greatest stuff is so-so in a year, eh? I'm kinda partial to the laptop world and my 'kill anything that moved' machine of last year is now a cowering weakling, LOL. The new generation of mobile adapted gpu's are about 1/3 faster . The desktop world, oh man, thats like 50% faster now compared to last year. Speaking of cooling, even after overclocking to 'desktop reference' speeds that my GPU is rated at, the thing still runs cool enough. I just gotta keep the dustbunnies out of the heatsink, with those it WILL get hot. I could flash it to maybe 450/1250 and get maybe 7800 or so in 3d05 and still live, but I dont game as much as I'd like to on this thing, so the added risk isnt really that attractive at this time. Maybe I'll drop another 2K on a box with the Nvidia 7950 that will make this thing look silly without breaking a sweat, LOL.

Speaking of Dell, be it as it may that they are the bargain basement generic computer source, they are also early adopters on the high end stuff too. On this thing (XPS M170), it was the first to have the 7800 GTX, the Clevo boxes (Sager and Alienware) took maybe 5 months before they got this GPU in theirs. Everyone else is dead slow, more geared to the Best Buy crowd. You cant beat the big discounting and relatively cheap prices either with Dell (especially towards the end of the year).

In the end, I think I'll stick with laptops, I do have a monster box (back in its day, but this laptop stomps on it now) connected to my HDTV, but that TV is 1280x720 native, so even so the monster box is total overkill for the display. Maybe someday I'll get one of those 1080 Progressive DLP's and have something totally nutty to play games on, but right now it's not a priority (saves some money too not chasing technology, LOL)

Hey, I see youre running 6800's, I think right now you could move into the 7800 series for cheap, or maybe really go wild and go current tech! Check drivers too, amazing what changes they can make. I did some testing, the 9x.xx series are kinda sucky, I think right now the 84.63 is best, or at least it is on this machine. Good luck!

Comment

Andy, if you want a smoken dell laptop, get an Alienware... yup Dell owns them..

Back on topic my HP zv6000 Pav. Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05. Thats even with an onboard but dedicated 128meg ATI 200M..

Comment

Bob - Many thanks for the explanation I can see why you need a machine that would turn NASA green!

Reading the other posts it strikes me that we should start a Care Cure Scrabble comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
            Andy, if you want a smoken dell laptop, get an Alienware... yup Dell owns them..

Back on topic my HP zv6000 Pav. Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05. Thats even with an onboard but dedicated 128meg ATI 200M..
            Hi Paton,

A few years ago I bought an Alienware and would go to their "private" password protected website. And all you ever heard from the Alienware fanboyz was how bad Dells were. Dell was the official forum whipping boy or so it seemed. Before I bought my Alienware I owned a Dell (XPS_R400 upgraded to an 800) and never had a problem with it. I even gave it to my cousin in Hawaii and it's still kickin' today! And now Dell has bought out Alienware. I wonder what they're all saying about Dell now?!

I imagine some of them are calling Alienware's founder and CEO Nelson Gonzalez a traitor!

A couple years ago Dell got into the gaming computer market to compete with Alienware (and Voodoo and Falcon Northwest) with their special XPS gaming series of computers. Dell is so big that they have their own components specially designed for them... (proprietary hardware) at least some of them like their motherboards and video cards. And they cut some corners in cooling etc to keep the prices down so you can't overclock anything... they have their motherboards locked so they won't get a bunch of unnecessary tech calls and product returns from idiots trying to eke out a few extra cycles of processing power by overclocking and burning them out. I don't blame Dell for doing that.

I have no idea how they design their gaming computers now and what type of components they use. But they were the first to put 4 graphics cards in their gaming computers.... I think there's actually 2 dual GPU video cards in them. But the processor would probably bottleneck out before you could put any stress on 4 top-end video cards!

Originally posted by Paton
            Lappy, scored a killer 736 on 05.
            Wow, that would even be kinda slow using 3DMark 2006! But if it isn't used for intense gaming then that's probably all anyone needs anyway.

I was gonna get a Sony VAIO® laptop a few years ago. But laptops are always a year and usually 2 or 3 behind desktops as far as speed and gaming capabilities are. They are run on batteries and a new top-end video card runs at 12 volts and that's a lot of power and heat so you'd probably get a half hour of gaming time on one battery charge. And they have special energy efficient processors in them too... the "M" series if they use Intel. By the time I "configured" the VAIO the way I wanted it, it cost well over 5K. That was a lot back then compared to a comparable desktop. Laptops have come down a lot in price in the last couple of years. But I had it so loaded with all the fastest and biggest components and with the largest screen that I probably couldn't have picked the damn thing up anyway. An unportable portable.

Alienware started their own line of laptops and at their forums I heard lots of complaints about them. And you had to use their prorietary BIOS too and they sent out a lot of their laptops with badly written BIOS' and it took 'em months to get another one written that would work. Quite a disaster at the time for those who bought them.

Bob.
            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru
              Reading the other posts it strikes me that we should start a Care Cure Scrabble comp.
              im in...
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru
                Bob - Many thanks for the explanation I can see why you need a machine that would turn NASA green!

I think the "computers" that landed Apollo 11 on the moon had about 64kbs of storage capacity in them. That's the size of small jpg now!

But the computer overloaded and gave out a warning and it was landed by hand controls anyway.
                "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy
                  im in...
                  Having suggested it I haven't a clue how to go about it

Any ideas?

Comment

I did a little upgrading today on my 2 year old computer hooked up to my tv set with one of those new NVidia 8800 series cards, specifically the 8800 GTS. I wanted to go with the GTX version for the total overkill effect...but my power supply was too small for it at 460 watts, so I got the declocked and some processing ability disabled GTS model to be able to feed it alright with the PS I have in that box.

P4 550 3.4, 2 GB, 8800 GTS

3d05 8311
                    3d06 5608

I'm pretty much CPU limited at this point, maybe I'll get a Core 2 Duo CPU machine eventually, but for what I use this machine for now it will do well.

Comment

Heck, I was bored today so I reflashed my laptop GPU to 440/1250 from 430/1200 after changing that gpu/heatsink interface tape with some Arctic Silver paste (adds 150 horsepower, LOL). Prime95 and ATITool running show ok with temps a-ok still.

3dMark05-7262
                      3dMark06-3703

I'd say a decent improvement from my previous numbers:

3dMark05-7106
                      3dMark06-3634

Come on guys, jump on in to this 'who's got a bigger dick?' competition!

Comment

Wanna see my clit?

whips out her Core 2 Duo

...throws it over shoulder as she leaves thread.

Comment

Originally posted by chick
                          whips out her Core 2 Duo
                          Lucky.

Wanna see my clit?
                          Is that a trick question?
                          Last edited by Scorpion; 12-12-2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

whips out her Core 2 Duo

...throws it over shoulder as she leaves thread.
                            Yeah, but I'm allergic to fruits. What sort of GPU does that thing have?

Comment

Mine is way behind from your PC specs.
                              I still have

Intel Celeron 1.7ghz
                              64mb GForce VGA
                              256 MB DDRAM
                              17" LG Flatron
                              80 GB Seagate Baracuda HD

Comment

3DMark05 = 11695
                                3DMark06 = 7415
                                2.4 GHZ