quads go wiiiiiiiiii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quads go wiiiiiiiiii?

Have any of you quads tried playing the new Nintendo Wii? It looks like it wouldn't be difficult to strap the nunchunk to your hand, so the sports games shouldn't be hard to control. Some of the games like ExciteTruck look impossible to control. Here are some videos of the controller in action.
    http://us.wii.com/experience_gallery.jsp

I'll probably wind up getting one of these. If I do, I'll report back.
    c6/7 complete

Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that.

Comment

The Wii and an injured gamer — a happy follow-up

The Wii and an injured gamer — a happy follow-up

By Mike Antonucci
      Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 at 1:33 pm in Gaming, Mike Antonucci, General.
      A little more than 13 months ago, I wrote a front-page story about a young man named Travis Taft, an avid gamer who had suffered a spinal cord injury affecting his arms and legs.
      Here’s an excerpt from that story, which focused on Taft’s excitement about the one-hand controller Nintendo had described for its upcoming console, then code-named Revolution:
      ”(Taft) has tried to call national attention to the unintended benefits that the gadget will offer for people with a variety of physical disabilities.
      “Like many people with spinal-cord injuries that affect all four limbs, Taft retains some use of his arms and hands. But it’s not enough for effectively operating the typical two-hand game device. He’s confident his relatively strong right hand will be able to manipulate the new controller, which is part of the Revolution game system that’s still under development by Nintendo.
      ‘’Video games have been a major factor in my life,'’ said Taft, who has resolved to take the most optimistic approach possible to his rehabilitation. ‘’I was eagerly hunting for some way to get back into it.'’
      So what happened when the Revolution became the Wii and actually reached the market? It’s nice to report that Taft’s condition has improved and that he’s more than enjoying his Wii.
      Here’s one of the e-mails he sent me today:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...follow-up.html
      http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

I was going to ask if anyone had this. My brother tried it at a friends house and felt I could do it. I can sort of grip certain objects, but he thinks I may need to add my own strap. My brother tried boxing, tennis, bowling and something else and thought I'd be able to play those games. People also claim if played hard enough you can get a cardio workout.

Comment

I can see where some quads could have a problem with the button on the back on the controller (b i think).

But for tennis, golf, boxing, and certain parts of baseball it is not used.

The boxing game can give you a workout. I was sore for the first few days.

Comment

Have you tried the playstation eye toy? Cisco gets an amazing work out from it and you don't have to use any buttons.

Comment

I miss gaming!
              Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/weeee.php

Comment

lmfao
                  "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Comment

I haven't tried it, but my kids got one for Christmas. They love it. Looks like Nintendo's the winner in this year's console wars.

This commercial is hilarious.
                    www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

What about using a different type of controller?
                      www.x-arcade.com/solo.shtml
                      C 5/6 Comp.
                      No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

another injured gamer.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1Gh4kH-o8

Comment

Let me know what you find out Justin... I want to get one too but need some feedback from c5/6 +.

Thx!
                          "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
                          Isaiah 40:29-31

Comment

I am a C6, no triceps and tried playing tennis with my nephew's Wii a few weeks ago. No problem and quite funny, it would have been even easier if I had put something sticky around the controller. Boxing was also possible and was getting me out of breath, but not as funny as tennis.
                            Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

I'm a c5/6 quad and we bought the Wii for our daughter, but I think I play it more than she does now. It's totally doable for a quad, let me break it down a little.

The sports package that comes with it has tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, and boxing. Tennis is probably the easiest of them all and boxing the hardest, but they are all doable depending on your level of function.

Tennis: There are no buttons to push in tennis during play, so just swing away. It's very intuitive, just swing forehand or backhand and it mimics your arm motion, and it's sensitive to your swing path (lob vs. line drive). If your timing is right on your serve you can hit a really fast serve and a smoke trail appears behind the ball. If you have trouble with your grip you could use dicem or something to build up the remote or lash it to your hand with a strap or rubber band. Also a velcro strap around your hand and a piece glued to the remote might work well. Definitely use the wrist strap so the remote doesn't go flying across the room, that goes for all the games.

Baseball: For batting, just swing, no buttons needed and timing is the key. For pitching it's a little more complicated. If no buttons are pressed the pitch will be a fastball. If you press A, B, or A+B when you pitch, it will throw a curve, splitter, or a screwball. To accomplish this I use a hair band or rubber band and double it up around the remote so that it's relatively tight. Then I push the band over the A, B, or A+B, button(s) before pitching to get what pitch I want. It's not necessary to do a full arm swing to pitch, just a flick will work. The harder the flick the faster the pitch.

Bowling: There is a couple of adjustments to make prior to bowling. The directional buttons will move you left or right and if you press A the directional buttons will adjust your aim. The challenging part is actually bowling. You have to press the B button and hold it thru your swing and release the button on your follow thru. Again a full swing is not needed. I hold the remote with both hands in front of my chest, the left one around the remote and the right one under the backside where the B button is located. I press B with my right hand and drop both of my hands together towards my lap then come up quick while releasing the B button. You can spin the ball by twisting the remote as you come up.

Golf: I use the same hair band trick. To do practice swings, just swing away. Again a proper golf swing is not needed. To address the ball, slide your band over the A button and then swing. The rest is just paying attention to the distance, type of club, the wind, etc.

Boxing: This one requires the remote and the nunchuk. Put one in one hand and one in the other and punch away....exhausting.

You can make your own characters called Mii's. It's hilarious. You can specify whether to be left or right handed for the sports games. There's so many more details but I couldn't write them all. It's definitely worth the money.

Some of the other games require more mixed uses of the remote and nunchuk. I've found some doable and some not so doable.... at least for me.

Anyway hope that helps.......

Comment

Working...
                              X