flat panel TVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat panel TVs?

It appears they've really come down in price over the last 18 months or so ... what seems to be the best value these days? What about the LCD vs. Plasma debate?
    Daniel

Originally posted by dan_nc
    It appears they've really come down in price over the last 18 months or so ... what seems to be the best value these days? What about the LCD vs. Plasma debate?
    Smaller sets = LCD. Bigger sets=Plasma. I like the Panasonics and Pioneers in plasma. I've had a 50" Panny plama for almost a year, love it.

check out http://www.avsforum.com/ more than you'd ever want to know.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

If the TV set is going to be in a room with lots of sunlight then it is better to go with the LCD and I think the largest screen you can purchase is 47 inches. LCDs cost more per square inch than plasmas and therefore you get more bang for your buck with a plasma TV (and they do look good). Plasma is now 60,000 hours until half brightness or eight hours a day for the next 25 years.

I would recommend that you read the customer reviews over on Amazon because in aggregate the opinions can be helpful. Costco is another place to consider purchasing a TV because they usually have good prices, along with a very liberal return policy. UltimateAV is an on-line magazine where the professionals rate the products and ths is another good resource if you're considering purchasing a new TV. The "HD" nomenclature is now named 720p & 1080p. If I were to purchase a new TV today, that was under 42 inches, then I would stay with 720p (progressive scan) and I would want at least one HDMI input and probably one DVI input.
      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
      --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
      ––Paul Nussbaum
      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

MMMM Telllllivissssssionnnnnnn

Ok i have a 19 inch regular ole TV but i can dream....
        Myrtle Beach Spring Break Download Movies

Comment

Originally posted by Chaptcheex
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000F6SR0O

Ok i have a 19 inch regular ole TV but i can dream....
          Chaptcheex...... why do you have amazon product links in ALL your posts?..

Just curious.
          Last edited by Patonb; 24 Oct 2006, 4:53 PM.

Comment

NOTHING can touch a plasma. I've been using mine for 3 yrs now and use it as a monitor for my computer.
            If it is going to be in a bright room, BETTER go with a plasma, LCD's can't compare, not bright enough.
            Ever use your laptop outside? My nephew has a LCD for a tv in his room, doesn't compare.

Paton, 2 easy places to buy just about anything....ebay and amazon. And if ya use the USED item links, you save a fortune on some types of items. I check there before I buy anything.
            Last edited by CapnGimp; 25 Oct 2006, 2:22 AM.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

I'm a bit apprehensive about purchasing used consumer electronics. Do you guys have good experiences buying used TVs and so-on?

~dan
              Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                Paton, 2 easy places to buy just about anything....ebay and amazon. And if ya use the USED item links, you save a fortune on some types of items. I check there before I buy anything.
                All 16 posts have a hidden product link in them, spread through out all forums.

Kinda of fishy to me.

Comment

I could use a new plasma TV. The one from 2003 is not cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
                    All 16 posts have a hidden product link in them, spread through out all forums.

Kinda of fishy to me.
                    I suspect something's turned his default search engine to Amazon dot com.

My livingroom LCD from July 2005 is old and tired and ready to be retired into my bedroom. I'm thinking of a plasma for the livingroom.
                    Daniel

Comment

My livingroom LCD from July 2005 is old and tired and ready to be retired into my bedroom. I'm thinking of a plasma for the livingroom.
                      I wouldn't think that an LCD TV from 2005 is ready for the retirement home/bedroom!?
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                      --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm a bit apprehensive about purchasing used consumer electronics. Do you guys have good experiences buying used TVs and so-on?
                        dan
                        I want a full one-year warranty on a new TV and sometimes this will include on-site repair.
                        --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I have a 26" Sharp LCD, almost a year old. Diggen it imensely... Made my last year in bed pleasent...

P.s. I'm running Slax right now... with a Broadcom card

Comment

Hey Dan, I meant used items like books, cd/dvd's etc. NOT tvs Almost every item I have bought 'used' is actually a new item, old stock. THAT is why I check used on such things.
                            LG is the brand of plasma I have now. It carries a FULL 2 yr warranty, no one else gives more than a year. I sat in Best Buy in Spartanburg, SC for over 2 hours and IN Knoxville,TN for almost 3 hours comparing every tv they had. I had 3300 dollars of in-store credit to replace my old plasma that they couldn't get a power supply for as it was no longer manufactured. I wanted PIP or split screen so I could compute AND watch tv at the same time. It existed in a 30 inch LCD but the picture just wasn't what I was accustomed to from my plasma. I looked at every lcd, rear projection and plasma under 3 grand. I wound up taking the 42" LG plasma. It has all but the PIP or split screen, but the picture is the best of any I have ever laid eyes on. It was 1000 dollars less than my in-store credit which I did not get a refund for, store rule is spend it or loose it on the warranty. (4 year extended bought at time of my original purchase). Think about it, I tossed a grand to get the tv I have now. It MUST be a great picture.
                            My suggestion is go to a few places and saee every tv you can. Check all the functions and warranties and get your best shot. Don't go by what other people say, let your eyes speak for you. When ya get it home, gimme a shout and I'll tell you how to best adjust your picture ballpark, and you can go from there.

Paton, is that SLAX as in Linux? I have a 54 meg footprint system in mini disc I use to troubleshoot other folks computers. See whether it's hardware or windows failure.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp
                              I sat in Best Buy in Spartanburg, SC for over 2 hours and IN Knoxville,TN for almost 3 hours comparing every tv they had.
                              My suggestion is go to a few places and saee every tv you can. Check all the functions and warranties and get your best shot. Don't go by what other people say, let your eyes speak for you. When ya get it home, gimme a shout and I'll tell you how to best adjust your picture ballpark, and you can go from there.
                              I couldn't agree more strongly about going to the stores to look at these TVs before you buy. Robert Heron stated a few months ago on TWIT that stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City (they are all guilty of doing it) turn the brightness levels all the way up and this makes the picture stand out more but after viewing for an hour you will end up with eye strain, headache or both! I would suggest that you look at the remote control and see how they have calibrated these different settings.
                              --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X