Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Shop

Hi All,

I've been into computer graphics, design things for many years now... but have never gotten too serious about it enough to buy the big programs. And in any case my arm use is limited for drawing with a mouse, I get tired fast and RSI is a problem.

Having said that, I have decided to just do it, try it, so bought a trial from the local newsagent for Photo Shop. Seems many use it, graphic artists. Is it an easy to get program, the other one i cant remember its name now i tried and it was so complicated i gave up!

So if and what are your thoughts on it? Its pretty expensive, so i'd want to be sure it will get used...lol.

Another thing, has anyone had sucess with those pen tablets for drawing on the pc..... i'm finding with my weak arms the mouse to be hard and gets my neck all crooked!

Thanks,
    Pony

Pony,

PhotoShop is a powerful tool capable of wonderous results. For me, it was not very intuitive. I would suggest getting a book or taking a short course to learn the basics.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

I know a few graphic designers who use it for everything, including web design. .... They all use a mouse, hve you tried a trackball? They're great.

Comment

You tell'im Patonb, trackball mice are super. No more sore muscles from moving your arm and trying not to fall over.
        For an idea of photoshop w/o spending money, download a windows version of GIMP, it is absolutely free and does about all that photoshop does.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Track balls

Thanks guys,

Mmm yeah thought so, have looked into my local TAFE [in Australia] to see if i can learn bout photo shop.

Now..... are track balls a reverse of mouse, ie ball on top? I've just always used a mouse, hard as they r.. lol.. crazy i know... well in my early days of computer use i think i did try a track ball, for some reason it wasnt suitable, but then again that was 14 years ago... Tell me, with the mouse you gotta hold button and move it, what do you hold fer track ball, anything?? I hope they have then in Australia, surely, lol.

Ciao Pony

Comment

I have the cheaper and simpler Adobe Photo Elements, which has many more features than I will every use. I took a class...it is NOT an intuitive program (since is was converted from Windows to Mac...not the other way around).

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi Pony

If you want to learn photoshop for free try about.com. They send free tutorials by email.

Comment

You can also download it from the adobe website and try it for 30 days.
                Paralyze resistance with persistence.
                T-12

Comment

I use Photoshop almost daily. There is indeed a steep learning curve, but I've been using PS since v.4 (they're on v.9, a.k.a. CS2 currently). The best thing you can do is get familiar with its environment. If you pursue it, give yourself some simple tasks & limit the tools you use. As time progresses, start working with some other features. I'm considered a power user, but admittedly there are still some things Photoshop does that I don't know about, simply b/c I don't have a need to use every single capability it has. That program has evolved into a monster, but it's worth every penny.

Comment

I would definitely go with Adobe. like the nurse said, if you're not die-hard get the simpler PS Elements. it would more than likely be more than you need.
                    browse a good bookstore, or Amazon, for a good book explaining things at your level(whatever that may be). there are a ton of books out there.
                    it's a great program with LOTS to offer.
                    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
                    - Alan Kay

Comment

Originally posted by Pony
                      Thanks guys,

Mmm yeah thought so, have looked into my local TAFE [in Australia] to see if i can learn bout photo shop.

Now..... are track balls a reverse of mouse, ie ball on top? I've just always used a mouse, hard as they r.. lol.. crazy i know... well in my early days of computer use i think i did try a track ball, for some reason it wasnt suitable, but then again that was 14 years ago... Tell me, with the mouse you gotta hold button and move it, what do you hold fer track ball, anything?? I hope they have then in Australia, surely, lol.

Ciao Pony
                      Heres sorta what I use,

You can set the buttons to do 1 of bout 50 commands. Mine are: Left and right click, Left click and drag, and Exit program.

So to click and hold, It's one button and then click to stop.
                      Last edited by Patonb; 08-23-2006, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
                        . . . The best thing you can do is get familiar with its environment. If you pursue it, give yourself some simple tasks & limit the tools you use. As time progresses, start working with some other features . . .
                        Good advice. I've been using Photoshop since Version 2.5 (back in '94, I think) and I currently use CS2 (Version 9). I love Photoshop, and there are so many things you can do with it as well as so many different ways to do them.

Pony, you might also look into Corel Paint Shop pro which is said to be comparable to Photoshop but much less expensive (under $100 US).

I'm a C-6 quad, and I use a mouse, but I use it sideways. A trackball might be good, and I have a friend who is is C-4 who uses a trackball very well. I also have a Wacom tablet that I keep telling myself I need to use more so I can get proficient with it. If you have full use of your hands, I'd definitely recomend a Wacom tablet instead of a trackball.

You might also look into Adobe Illustrator for more precise drawing capabilities. You can use the Wacom tablet with Illustrator as well.

I use Illustrator and Photoshop daily, though for my comicbook lettering I mainly use Illustrator.

Comment

Wow you guys are so helpful, thank you so much! Useful info that I can follow up cool. Like the free tutorials, very cool.

Cored Draw was it, was the other huge drawing program I tried years ago that nearly sent me MAD... But yes limiting tasks and tools is a good idea, otherwise its way overwhelming.

Ohhhh so thats a track ball.... I think I'd definately have to try before I bought one.

The Wacom tablet was what i had looked into in the past on the net, but without being able to try one in the shops I was weary. I have shoulder use and upper arm, so I hold a pen with both hands to draw or write or type or basically do anything but i get tired my shoulders get tired from suspending then midair when using the computer. I thought the Wacom tablet would be useful for more precise drawing, fine line, as the mouse can be clumsy eh!?

Adobe, mmm yes have heard of it, now are there different versions illustrator others or is it all one.. holding my head, woo weee so many programs!

Many thanks again

Cheers Pony

Comment

the wacom tablets are flat out awesome, but i have problems using them b/c i don't have the fine motor control in my hands & the pens are pressure-sensitive. like scorpion, i just use a mouse... and oddly enough i use mine sideways too.

there's only one version of illustrator, no matter what it's packaged with. you do understand the HUGE difference between illustrator & photoshop, right? adobe is just the company behind them.

Comment

Pony-what platform, Mac or PC

What platform are you using Mac or PC? If you've got a Mac maybe I can help you out. Photoshop is far out, you'll love it. Let me know and I'll send off a care package.{wink, wink}.

Steve
                              Steve C.
                              S. Florida
                              www.sjcaputo.com
                              www.facebook.com/caputo.steven
                              www.gofundme.com/StandforSteve

Comment

Working...
                              X