X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a tv buying guide:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-8.html

Comment

I'm glad to see that Sharp Aquos gets the good review. I'm off work on VK this week and am going to buy a 20" LCD HD-Ready tv tomorrow for $698 (minus a $50 gift certificate I have). *sigh* My bedroom tv since there's nothing else going on in there .. lol. The 13" is too far to see anymore!
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Jeff - thanks, good points yourself
        It is hard to beat the pic of a CRT, they just have too much downside for bigscreen, tough($$$) to make a tube that big, burnin issue, and heavy as all getout.
        I am a big DLP fan myself, have a 61" Samsung in the living room. I have had it for ~3.5 years so it tops out at 1080i. The Mitsu your looking at looks good.(bigger is better ) 'Chelle is looking for wallmount, so rules out most DLP(some are now only 8" deep and suitable for hanging though)
        OT history: The DLP used to be called a DMD(deflective mirror device), I did the physical CAD drawing for the 1st DMD chip driver circuitswhen I was with TI. It was used in airline ticket printing and only had 610 mirrors. Was really cool to watch those mirrors move under a microscope. Alos kinda cool to see how far it has come, and I was in the history of it.
        From Consumer Reports, the Plasma ED tv's give a "real close" to true HD pic even though it is only 480p, the LCD ED's "not so good".
        I am a 1/2 BOSE fan, think some is real good, some is a lot of hype. I have a BOSE WAVE box I won at a trade show and really like it. Keep thinking about the 3-2-1 system for my bedroom to get surround w/o the rear speakers.

Paton - your DVD player is doing an upconvert of 480p DVD output to mimic a HD picture, kinda like TNTHD does for all their shows. The DVD disc itself has to be encoded in HD for true HD(not too many out yet). Samsung's Blu-Ray true HD player is due out soon. But this is a good stepping stone.

Lynnifer - Bigger is better, especially in the BR It is nice to be able to read the text on the tv again when you go larger. arrgh, older eyes...
        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

I am big bose fan too. I have the little bose in my kitchen and my truck came with a bose system......You wouldnt think those little boxes have much power but my daughter gives me a hard time about being able to hear the thump in the back yard. I didnt know they made surround sound either....

I knew I couldnt go wrong by asking everyones opinion. You all have given me lots of good ideas so a big thank you to all!!!!
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett
            w/ that budget, I'd look into a entry-level home theater HD projector ($1000-1500) + a high-contrast screen ($200-500) + a ready-out-of-the-box 7.1 dvd/audio system (< $1000).

but that's just me... and the screen will (can) be bigger than any 50-60" TV
            hey! everyone ignored me.

check out some of the setup pics here & see if this gives you any more ideas: http://www.projectorpeople.com/homet...-showrooms.asp

Comment

I didnt ignore you scott....I am going to circuit city and best buy to look at all the options.....
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff
                Keep thinking about the 3-2-1 system for my bedroom to get surround w/o the rear speakers.
                great system for a small area, but their best ''bang for a buck'', IMO, is the Lifestyle 12 system. just f.y.i., i bought mine for $1999.00 over 6 yrs. ago and it goes for around $1200.00 - $1300.00 at Sam's.. i have several friends with other surrounds and when they heard mine, they were kicking themselves.. Bose is a well-built, well tested product. downside is $$$ on some products, but you get what you pay for....

no wonder you know so much about tv's McDuff formerly working at TI..

the 73'' Mitsu. i linked is not even the best.. i will inquire about the Diamond DLP 73''... more $$$, but they may discount it some, i sure...?

thanks for your input, i've learned a ton from this thread... and from everyone else too....

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

check out some of the setup pics here & see if this gives you any more ideas: http://www.projectorpeople.com/homet...-showrooms.asp
                  i haven't call the projector ppl. for any quotes yet so jump me, but i don't see a decent set-up as you mentioned b4 for that kind of money... to get picture quality comparable to DLP and plasma tv's, you will run $10,000 +, easily.. but, i realize that you mentioned entry level, so there is that point i believe you are saying that a person can get into an ok setup for less $$$ and less quality....? you may have also found a diamond in the rough with a particular brand(s) of screen, projector, surround...?

i'm solely basing my experience on my buddy's projector room, and one's on display at various locales...

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry Scott, didn't mean too...

I have 2 buddies with FP(front projector) home theater setups, w/ ~110-120" screens, awesome as shit. One is even a new DLP projector. They still do not have the brightness/contrast ratio for a "normal" room. One guy has his in the LR, with windows, even w/ all shades down he can't enjoy it until nightime. He has a 50" DLP RP tv for "normal" tv viewing.

If I had a theater room, I would definitely go that route though.
                    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

Now Now Scotty the Hottie.... I already have a projector for my house...just don't have the screen that I REALLY want(I'm being a fusssy procrastinator ) and we both have surround sound already. so Dad chose the Plasma TV over going to the Father's Day NASCAR race at Michigan Int'l Speedway. SO, now the project is finding the best plasma TV for him. We've been looking at the Phillips one a lot.
                      'Chelle
                      L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Chelle, I went to Amazon to read the customer reviews for the Philips 42 inch Flat-panel Plasma TV. After that I matriculated over to UltimateAV and it looks like they are recommending VIZIO P42HDTV Plasma (I am trying to stay within your budget). After I decided to go to CNet to read the editors review and the User Opinion on the Vizio P42HDTV. If you go over to PC World you will see that the Samsung 42 Inch Plasma TV is getting some solid reviews. I find that in aggregate the customer/user reviews can be helpful.

If you decide to purchase this Phillips Plasma TV (probably need a professional) it needs to be correctly calibrated in your home. Also, you may want to take a look at Costco because of their liberal return policy.
                        Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
                        PN, not sure you have seen this article, but is good info. for 1080i vs. 1080p... agree that 1080p will soon be the standard.. about to upgrade to DLP 1080p..
                        http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html
                        Hello Jeff, just what I need more reading/schooling. Thanks, I finished the article from top to bottom.

Originally posted by roshni
                        Good article and I am glad they covered Extended Warranties and Manufacturer warranties.
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                        --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                        ––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Paul-
                          Thank you so much for the links. I'll read up on them in a few. I think it was Darkeyed_Daisy that had a specific budget stated...wheras we don't want to go crazy spending a TON of money, our objective is to get the best tv for the most reasonable price....afterall, we were gonna kidnap dad to MI for the entire race weekend....he chose the tv over the trip...We are MAJOR fans of COSTCO, and "executive" members, LOVE LOVE LOVE their rebate program so whatever we purchase if they sell it would probably come from them anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
                          'Chelle
                          L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

Originally posted by PN
                            Hello Jeff, just what I need more reading/schooling. Thanks, I finished the article from top to bottom.
                            not sure if sarcastic , but was linked for all interested in the differences...

Comment

Hello Jeff, no sarcasm. I just wanted you to know that I read the article and this technology is moving at such a fast clip it's difficult to stay on the "bleeding edge".

Chelle, sometimes it's Dragon (voice rec) and once in awhile dyslexia. 42 inch top-of-the-line Plasma TV!
                              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                              --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                              ––Paul Nussbaum
                              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PN
                                Chelle, sometimes it's Dragon (voice rec) and once in awhile dyslexia. 42 inch top-of-the-line Plasma TV!
                                I understand that Everyone's version of "top-of-the-line" can be different...hence the question of opinions.... I haven't read the links yet, but I plan on reading the reviews, especially of the Phillips we've been eyeing and the Vizio that you linked. In the past I've always been a fan of Sony, but I've heard a lot of negative in the way of their TVs....I dunno if this is true on their plasma's and if you're really paying for the name there. <YIKES> As long as we get dad's tv by Sunday's race, he'll be a happy camper, he's easy to please and not much of a "shopper" so getting him to go to the store to look at them in person is tough...
                                'Chelle
                                L-1 inc 11/24/03

Comment

Working...
                                X