Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor
    Thanks Bob,

I upgraded to 2 gb RAM. I see alot of 7800 GTX's and 6800 Ultra cards on Ebay. They are alot cheaper than buying one from Dell. I have an Intel x86 processor. Can that be changed or is it ok?
    Hi Trevor,

That's great you have 2gbs of RAM. Intel x86 doesn't tell me the actual speed of your processor. That's just the generic name of the microprocessor architecture. But you won't notice much difference between the 1.73 GHz Pentium M processor and the 2.0GHz Pentium M processor and I believe you have a processor of these speeds or of a speed in between these two. And if you don't already have one, I wouldn't even consider upgrading to a 2.0GHz Pentium M processor (the fastest.. I believe) since they cost over $300! You should only upgrade a processor if you can at least double the speed. And you need to make sure the processor runs at the FBS (Frontside Bus Speed) as your motherboard. Either 400MHz or 533MHz.

I used to own a Dell XPS R400 and upgraded the processor to an 800. But that was a desktop and for that model I was able to buy a non-Dell proprietary processor for the upgrade. Unfortunately, laptops, especially Dell laptops, aren't that universal. In other words, your video card is Dell proprietary so you must buy any upgrade from Dell. Here's a thread from the Dell Inspiron customer upgrade forum.

Dell Inspiron 9300 customer upgrade forum. Check out ejn63's post. It's the second one down.

The DELL 256 MB nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI Graphics Card with Installation for Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 System is $599.00!!

Plus you may need to upgrade your battery to upgrade it to a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 / XPS M170 System. Another $179.95. At least according to ejn63's post in the Inspiron Video customer forum. This is probably true with the nVidia 6800 GO video card too.

It's written by ejn63 at the Dell Inspiron Upgrade forum:

Originally posted by ejn63
    You can use the nVidia 6800 from the XPS Gen 2 in the 9300, but you need the XPS 2 battery and power supply to to it - Dell's price for the card is $600, to which you can add another $200-250 for the battery and power supply, so it's not exactly an inexpensive upgrade.

The CPU can be any Pentium-M on a 400 or 533 bus, EXCEPT the new Solo and Duo units, which won't work. Note that the high-end Pentium Ms are expensive - the 2.26 GHz unit runs over $500 a unit, so you may want to seriously consider selling the 9300 and replacing it with a 9400.
    I was trying to find the nVidia 6800 GO video card and it appears as though you need to call Dell because they say "Currently this product set is not available for sale online. Please call 1-800-357-3355 to contact a sales rep that can assist you with the purchase.

Maybe they're trying to push the faster, more expensive DELL 256 MB nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI Graphics Card that they probably have more in stock of than the 6800s. Who knows?

Here's how you replace/upgrade your Inspiron video card.

Check out the Dell Inspiron - Upgrade Hardware Community Forum. You can get all your questions answered there. It was a great help to me when I had my Dell XPS R400 and was upgrading it. Those guys can give you the exact information that you need.

But if you want a real gaming computer you gotta get a high-end desktop like an Alienware ALX, Dell XPS (or other gaming computer builders) or build your own monster rig.

Best of luck.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

More research... wanted to be certain of my info

Hi Trevor,

The nVidia 6800 GO is fastest video card you should upgrade to. Anything faster wouldn't give you much more (probably VERY little) performance anyway. You're limited by your processor. As I've written before, a computer is only as good as its weakest link. It's like a 3 legged stool. Processor, video card and memory. To upgrade to anything faster than the nVidia 6800 GO you would need to upgrade the battery kit to an XPS and then flash your BIOS. And since you'll be on your own (no warranty from Dell) it's possible to render your laptop useless if the BIOS Flash goes bad. And you need (MUST HAVE) the additional power the XPS battery kit provides in order to properly and safely flash it.

Now it's possible to upgrade to the 6800 ULTRA or the 7800 but you really need to know your computer "stuff" pretty well. Here's a pictoral guide on how to do it.... and as you can read and see, it's NOT for the computer novice.

You need 6 things to upgrade to a faster video card than the nVidia 6800 GO:

1- Dell 6800 Ultra or Dell 7800 video card
      2- XPS2 Power Brick
      3- 9 Cell Battery
      4- XPS 2 Northbridge Heatsink
      5- XPS2 Hacked Bios Update
      6- BIG BALLS

And as I've said, you'll need to call Dell in order to buy the nVidia 6800 GO. The phone # and ext are written below. They will probably explain to you that you'll no longer be under warranty if you do it yourself. In order to keep your warranty intact (if you're still under warranty) you'll need to ship it back to Dell and have them do the upgrade. I think!? Here's a thread from the Inspiron Upgrade forum that speaks of your issue. In short....

Question: Can you tell me where to upgrade and give me a link? And can i buy he same video card directly from nvidia? Can Dell install them for me if i upgrade? Right now i have the x300 64 meg hypermemory, i want to play intensive games, is the 6800 go enough? Please help.

Answer: You can buy the card only from Dell, which won't support the upgrade - you're on your own.

It is a proprietary format card and no one else makes these.

Dell doesn't sell these online - you will have to call.

Dell Spare Parts 1-800-449-3355 ext 7269937
      You can look around on eBay for a used Dell nVidia 6800 GO but that's up to you. Personally, I don't trust eBay. You could be buying a faulty video card and what would you do then? You'd say it was bad when you got it and the person you bought it from would say that you broke it. Sounds like trouble to me!

Good luck.
      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

I'm not a game player, but I've been thinking of buying an ATI Radeon 9250 with 256 M. I'm currently using a Matrox G450 32 M, which has been fine for eCS-OS/2 and my couple hours a week in Win98SE, but an upgrade probably isn't a bad idea.
        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I have 1.6 GHz 2 MEGB cache
          Last edited by Trevor; 5 Mar 2006, 4:25 PM.

Comment

Wow, all this talk of 7800GTX's, right after I just bought a spiffy M170 with one of those

Check out some of the threads on notebookforums.com regarding the 9300 -> 7800GTX GPU mods, there is a guy there selling those GPU's for something like $270 or something, cheaper than Dell. Add a heatsink, bigger PS, battery, and be ready to rock and roll.

Dont worry too much about the CPU you have in the 9300, it should be ok. I am hoping that you have the 1920x1200 LCD, games running that resolution rock with the 7800GTX. Runs great with everything maxed out, I'd go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patonb
              Tiger works great with the Trackball....... I use it and can make great shots, plus it makes you feel like your playin the arcade version of golf
              Patonb: I downloaded the Tiger Woods PGA 2005 demo and you are right, it does work well with the Kensington Expert (trackball) mouse. I haven't played games in years, and I know that I would spend/waste a lot of time playing this game. I had a little "ring rust" when I first started playing the demo, but after about 45 minutes I boggied the first and second holes and pared the third hole.

Originally posted by bob clark
              I started playing egolf in Win95. I still have MS Golf 3.0 lying around here somewhere collecting dust. I even joined an online egolf team called "The Goodfellas"! We won the ladder Championship. I bought all the following MS Golf games in the series then they merged with "Links" and the game changed so much that I jumped the MS ship to Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 by EA Sports and haven't looked back.
              Bob: I recall playing MS Golf when it only required one click from the mouse to complete the swing from start to finish. I also played on line and this must have been around 1998, at the Internet Gaming Zone. I was an average player and one time I managed to play one game where I pared all 18 holes.
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
              --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
              ––Paul Nussbaum
              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I run ATi x700 pro's on both my Mac and my AMD64 Linux box. Plays everything no problem. I would advice against getting anything SLI unless the newest fastest things get you off. No offense to anyone running those cards, fast cars do it for me

Comment

Originally posted by mattblan
                  I run ATi x700 pro's on both my Mac and my AMD64 Linux box. Plays everything no problem. I would advice against getting anything SLI unless the newest fastest things get you off. No offense to anyone running those cards, fast cars do it for me
                  Hi Matt,

Can you play ALL games and simulators on your Linux box? I would give Linux a try if I thought I could play the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series of games, EA NASCAR racing series but especially UBI's (now ED -Eagle Dynamics from Russia) LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat. See if you can run the demo (128MBs) HERE - right side of page). Lock On will bring that x700 to its knees! It needs a fast processor too because of all the mathematical calculations needed in a combat flight simulator.

What speed is your AMD64 processor?

Comment

LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat. See if you can run the demo (128MBs) HERE - right side of page).
                    Thanks for the idea, its been a while since I tried one of those. Ever since EF2000 I havent really found anything that turns my crank in that genre. Downloading it now, I'll post how it works with a PM 2.0/7800gtx. Hopefully it has a Force Feedback driver (got one of those gathering dust too )

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                      Thanks for the idea, its been a while since I tried one of those. Ever since EF2000 I havent really found anything that turns my crank in that genre. Downloading it now, I'll post how it works with a PM 2.0/7800gtx. Hopefully it has a Force Feedback driver (got one of those gathering dust too )
                      Hi Andy,

EF2000 was the first sim I bought for my first PC. I had a Mac prior. It was a great sim, really ahead of its time. Then I got the follow-up TAW Total Air War.

Lock On is by far the best modern combat flight sim out now. Although those Falcon 4 diehard fans might disagree.

Lock On has a few forcefeed back drivers in its database for the most common joysticks. TM HOTAS Cougar, Saitek, MS Sidewinder etc. But it's been so long since I flew the demo I don't remember much about it.

Just make sure that in the "Config" folder that forcefeedback is set to "true". If it's set to "false" just edit it using (open it) "Notepad". The path is: C:\Lock On\Config\producer\ForceFeedbackEnabled = true;

I have my hard drive partitioned so it's located on my E:\ partition but yours will probably be installed by default to C:\ .

If you have any problems let me know. But the General Forums on the download page is very helpful.

You may have to reduce the default graphic settings in the "Options" to run it on a P4_2.0 because it's pretty CPU intensive but give it a try and see how it runs. I had everything set to medium with a little AA and AF... set to 4X each in the video card Control Panel on a P4_2.6GHz, ATI 9700 Pro and 512mbs of system memory. If you set your graphics card to "Application Preference" in your video card Control Panel it should run better... but of course look a little worse. Your 7800gtx should handle everything fine. 512mbs of system RAM is the minimum you should have. 1gb is preferred. I just upgraded my new rig to 2gbs and noticed a slight improvement but I have the full retail updated to Flaming Cliffs v 1.12a and it's much heftier than the demo.

I hope you like it. The learning curve is kinda high so read the Read Me file and write down the key commands on paper. They're different than most sims. For example S=Pause and W=Landing Gear etc. Don't get discouraged... it took me a long while to get pretty good at it. And I only know about 10% of everything it's capable of. Especially the full retail and the updates/patches.

The demo only has the A-10 Warthog in it and only one simple mission. But there are plenty of missions that you can download even for the demo. If you can't find them I probably still have a few in my old backup hard drive from a couple years ago when LOMAC was first released. If you can fly it (the first mission you start off in the air) and land it and take off you're off to good start!

Have fun and watch your 6!
                      Last edited by bob clark; 8 Mar 2006, 8:52 PM.

Comment

Transgaming/Cedega

Bob,

Lock on and TigerWoods 2006 are listed in the Transgaming database as working so they will both run on Linux. My amd64 is the 3000+ model, I forget what the clock speed on it is. I've been studying for the RHCE exam so I don't even have Xorg running on it right now. I'm sick of studying for my Physics test so I think I'll get that and cedega running tonight. I'll test those demo's and let you know how they go.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattblan
                          Bob,

Lock on and TigerWoods 2006 are listed in the Transgaming database as working so they will both run on Linux. My amd64 is the 3000+ model, I forget what the clock speed on it is. I've been studying for the RHCE exam so I don't even have Xorg running on it right now. I'm sick of studying for my Physics test so I think I'll get that and cedega running tonight. I'll test those demo's and let you know how they go.

Matt
                          Hi Matt,

That's cool they both run in Linux....I wonder if they run any better without all the XP overhead? Best of luck getting RHCE certified. I'm all for more Open Source stuff... let Bill Gates cry a little. I have a spare partition (even an extra hard drive) that I could add Linux on for a dual boot system. One of these days I'll have to give it a try.

There isn't a Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006... or even 2005 demo. The cheap EA Sports bastards! The latest demo EA Sports released was 2004. I have both the 2004 and 2005 retail versions of the game and as I said in an earlier post, I prefer 2004 anyway. I was gonna give 2006 a try but just paid off my Visa card today (ouch) so I'm gonna be a little more careful about all the stuff I order from Amazon. Those small $25 and $50 orders sure add up quick!

And 2004 is probably a little less stressful on anything less than the latest high-level top of the line gaming computer if you want everything set to high... for the best eye-candy possible and fluidity. It's amazing that a simple golf game can put pressure on an average or even above average computer. They keep adding crisper and more detailed graphics and wind in the trees and animated galleries etc. 2004 was the first year when they introduced "growing grass".... the grass (especially the rough) gets taller as you play from the first hole to the last. And it blows in the wind etc.

I don't know how many of the extra goodies are included in the 99.06MB download though.

You can get the Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 demo from ZDNet Downloads without the registering bullshit that most of the other download websites insist upon HERE.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
                          Play three holes from the 2004 iteration of Tiger Woods PGA Tour.
                          File Size: 99.06MB
                          Tee it up and give it a test drive. Fore.......

Comment

There isn't a Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006... or even 2005 demo. The cheap EA Sports bastards! The latest demo EA Sports released was 2004. I have both the 2004 and 2005 retail versions of the game and as I said in an earlier post, I prefer 2004 anyway. I was gonna give 2006 a try but just paid off my Visa card today (ouch) so I'm gonna be a little more careful about all the stuff I order from Amazon. Those small $25 and $50 orders sure add up quick!

And 2004 is probably a little less stressful on anything less than the latest high-level top of the line gaming computer if you want everything set to high... for the best eye-candy possible and fluidity. It's amazing that a simple golf game can put pressure on an average or even above average computer. They keep adding crisper and more detailed graphics and wind in the trees and animated galleries etc. 2004 was the first year when they introduced "growing grass".... the grass (especially the rough) gets taller as you play from the first hole to the last. And it blows in the wind etc.

I don't know how many of the extra goodies are included in the 99.06MB download though.
                            Hi Bob,
                            In an earlier post I wrote that I downloaded the Tiger Woods 2005 Demo, but as you stated, it is not available and I should have written that I went to downloads.com and installed the Tiger Woods 2004 Demo.

I have not seen any growing grass or wind in the trees with the 3-hole Demo version. I do enjoy playing this game but I am trying to limit myself by only going to the links after all my work is done. It would be fun to play with other CC Members. I am doing ok on the fairways, but at times I'm a little shaky when it comes to the putting. I recommend downloading the Demo and it plays seamlessly on my PC. I will wait for you to write a review on Tiger Woods 2006 before I make any purchase.
                            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                            --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                            ––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PN
                              Hi Bob,
                              In an earlier post I wrote that I downloaded the Tiger Woods 2005 Demo, but as you stated, it is not available and I should have written that I went to downloads.com and installed the Tiger Woods 2004 Demo.

I have not seen any growing grass or wind in the trees with the 3-hole Demo version. I do enjoy playing this game but I am trying to limit myself by only going to the links after all my work is done. It would be fun to play with other CC Members. I am doing ok on the fairways, but at times I'm a little shaky when it comes to the putting. I recommend downloading the Demo and it plays seamlessly on my PC. I will wait for you to write a review on Tiger Woods 2006 before I make any purchase.
                              Hi Paul,

I imagine the demo is kinda basic since it's only a 99mb download. The retail is a 3 CD set. I just looked in the Properties and it's almost 2GBs installed. You can buy 2004 new for 10 bux at Amazon and used for 4!. I can't find where it says that the grass grows as you progress through the 9 or 18 holes but I know I read it somewhere! Perhaps it's included in the Game Features below under "Grass and vegetation effects". It's no big deal since I haven't really noticed it when I play. I have both 2004 and 2005 and I don't know if I'm gonna get 2006 since I prefer 2004 over 2005 anyway.

But I'll play you online if you get 2004 or 2005. I don't have 2005 installed right now but can do that in half an hour. Or if you get 2006 I'll order a copy of it if you want to multiplay. The newer the game the higher your system requirements need (or should) be. Or you'll just be turning off all the goodies that you payed for so you can get a decent, fluid swing. V-Sync should be turned off in your graphic card Control Panel too or you may get a jittery swing. Or maybe it's just my computer.... and it doesn't like SLI very much so I usually end up turning off one video card. Maybe 2006 has fixed this or nVidia has finally fixed this in their newer driver suite. I sent a complaint in once but never heard back from them.

The one thing that pissed me off when I was playing on a team online years ago with MS Golf 3.0 and 3.1 was that players could use any type of swing they wanted to and it wouldn't show up on the opponent's screen. Including the TrueSwing type. The "cheatin' swing" where you pull the mouse back and push it forward. Ya just knew that the guys who used that swing had a straight edge and were using that so they always had a straight drive. In effect cheating. I'm a 3 clicker. Click once to start the swing and again to stop the swing at the top for distance and again at the bottom for accuracy. Hopefully with TW2004 everyone multiplaying knows what swing type everyone else is using. It's a lot harder to 3 click than it is to shove a mouse along a straight edge!!

There's a website where TW PGA Tour golfers create their own courses using the course Architect. There are over 390 for both 2004 and 2005 and about 200 for 2006 already. It's called The Course Source.

They're really good courses too... and you can even download Augusta National there. It's a little complicated to install them at first because you need to have a few extra things (you download them there) installed in your library (depending o the course) and use an installer program (also downloaded from the site) to install them. So if you ever tire of the 18 included courses you can always download an additional 394!!

Let me know if you wanna play sometime. We can play computer to computer via our IP addresses. I won over $16,000,000.00 from my neighbor playing it. I settled for him mowing my lawn all last season! We're real close skill wise but he tends to choke under the pressure at the last couple of holes! I usually play in "Intermediate" mode from the Pro teebox but I can adjust to any settings you want.

11. Game Features - System Requirements 2004
                              -----------------------------------------

Enhanced Full 3D Rendering Engine with the following features:
                              - Full Land-Plot Courses
                              - 3D Animated Golfers
                              - 3D Animated World and Trees
                              - Full 3D Camera Movement
                              - Bump Mapping on Golfers and Golf Ball
                              - Course Life System - falling leaves, flying birds, and more
                              - New Animated Water Effects and reflections (GeForce3 and up feature)
                              - Flying tees and divots
                              - Animated Galleries
                              - Real time shadowing
                              - 3D model self shadows
                              - Reactive commentary and analysis
                              - Object collision
                              - Grass and vegetation effects
                              - Shot trajectory camera
                              - Terrain Imperfections

Other Features Include:
                              - Interactive TrueSwing(tm) that delivers the feel of a true golf swing
                              - EA SPORTS(tm) Game Face - put yourself or anyone you can imagine in the game
                              - 18 Challenging Courses including: The Old Course at St Andrews, Sahalee Country Club, TPC at Sawgrass, and Pebble Beach Golf Links.
                              - 15 PGA TOUR pros including: Tiger Woods, Vijay Singh, Jesper Parnevik, Notah Begay III, and John Daly (plus 1 LPGA pro)
                              - 19 Game Types including the new Career Mode and EA SPORTS(tm) online.
                              - Commentary by David Feherty and Gary McCord
                              - Online Play (Internet, DirectIP & LAN)
                              - 3-Click & 2-Click Swing Interface

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004 System Requirements:

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION
                              OS: Windows XP/Me/2000/98 (Windows 95 and NT are not supported); CPU: 333 MHz Intel Pentium II or 500 MHz AMD Athlon processor; RAM: 128 MB; CD-Rom/DVD-Rom Speed: 8x; Hard Drive Space: 1.3 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved games, Windows swap-file, and DirectX 9.0b; Video: 4 MB video card with DirectX 9.0b compatible driver; 3D accelerated mode requires a 16 MB supported Direct3D capable video card; Sound: DirectX 9.0b compatible sound card; Input: Keyboard, Mouse; SUPPORTED CHIPSETS (3D ACCELERATED MODE): NVIDIA: TNT, TNT2, TNT2-Ultra, TNT2-64, TNT2-Aladdin, Vanta, GeForce SDR/DDR, GeForce 256, GeForce 2/2 MX/ 2MXR/Ultra, GeForce Quatro, GeForce Quadro/Quadro2/Quadro DDR, GeForce 3/Ti200/Ti500, GeForce 4 MMX/Ti 4200/Ti 4400/Ti 4600, GeForce 2-go, GeForce 4 MX 2-go, Nvidia NV-17, GeForce FX 5200/5600/5900. ATI: Rage 128/Rage Fury/Rage 128 Pro/Rage Pro Ultra/Rage Pro GL/GL2, Radeon 7000/7500/8500/9000/9200/9600/9700/9800/VE, ATI All-in-wonder

*Note: Software Rendering requires a 500 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM, and 4MB of VRAM

Gotta go.... my washing machine is about to break through the wall and vibrate down the street. Uneven load! I hate when that happens.

Comment

Hi Bob & PN,

I have Tiger 05 and would love to play u guys online.

Comment

Working...
                                X