No announcement yet.

web site creation - beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know i might be going backwards here, but why couldn't I just use something like Yahoo's PageBuilder or one of the free site builders that sometimes come with your hosting services. Are they not sophisticated enough for creating a website like mine? http://www.chromehorserentals.com. I swear this topic should be over soon.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Comment

I thought you were looking for a way to update the content of an existing site, not do a site redesign. Maybe I misunderstood your overall objective...

Properly designing/developing an elegant appealing functional site requires a broad knowledge of concepts, tools and languages. It's a lot more involved then updating web content. The free WYSIWYG tools are ok for personal or family web sites, but not for a business.

Comment

Originally posted by LooseCannon
        I thought you were looking for a way to update the content of an existing site, not do a site redesign. Maybe I misunderstood your overall objective...

Properly designing/developing an elegant appealing functional site requires a broad knowledge of concepts, tools and languages. It's a lot more involved then updating web content. The free WYSIWYG tools are ok for personal or family web sites, but not for a business.
        I actually hadn't made my decision, I could either find a way to edit my existing site in DreamWeaver or just totally redo it myself. So all information was very helpful. I checked out the Antenna Web Design program by www.stormdance.net that Jeremy suggested and I loved it. This seems familiar with what I have done in the past and way more easier and creative than a CMS. In the meantime though I am having Trainman do changes to my existing site. Thank you all for your knowledge.
        Cindy Waters
        injury march 2003

Comment

Originally posted by waters3
          I actually hadn't made my decision, I could either find a way to edit my existing site in DreamWeaver or just totally redo it myself. So all information was very helpful. I checked out the Antenna Web Design program by www.stormdance.net that Jeremy suggested and I loved it. This seems familiar with what I have done in the past and way more easier and creative than a CMS. In the meantime though I am having Trainman do changes to my existing site. Thank you all for your knowledge.
          I think (not sure and without trying to cause any trouble), that you are a little confussed about the kind of website you want to build or re do, true that a website without CMS can be more creative and versatile but it's harder to improve and update, you'll need plenty time for working on it and making changes.

On the other hand, there are many CMS that offer WYSIWYG (Postnuke has included it into the features,also they offer wiki), Geeklog doesn't have WYSIWYG, though there is a plug for it (I use an editor for it),also if you know the basic codes it's easy to use them, you can edit any CMS from it's "config.php" and add your own info (like banners, or settings).

When you buy hosting, most sites give you the Cpanel, this helps for uploading files and controlling your site better.

Good luck!
          Wheels for Independence

Comment

Originally posted by Salimacatwoman
            I think (not sure and without trying to cause any trouble), that you are a little confussed about the kind of website you want to build or re do, true that a website without CMS can be more creative and versatile but it's harder to improve and update, you'll need plenty time for working on it and making changes.

On the other hand, there are many CMS that offer WYSIWYG (Postnuke has included it into the features,also they offer wiki), Geeklog doesn't have WYSIWYG, though there is a plug for it (I use an editor for it),also if you know the basic codes it's easy to use them, you can edit any CMS from it's "config.php" and add your own info (like banners, or settings).

When you buy hosting, most sites give you the Cpanel, this helps for uploading files and controlling your site better.

Good luck!
            I went to WordPress to try it out and absolutely HATED IT. My site once up will only need occassional text changes. Antenna uses CSS so I thought that if you did a change to design content it would change it throughout.
            Cindy Waters
            injury march 2003

Comment

Waters3

You might like to try 1st Page http://www.evrsoft.com/ 1st Page 2000 is free and has CSS they also have a beta 1st Page 2006 version which I haven't tried yet but I've down loaded it to check it out.

Jeremy
              "I QUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT OF RATS, BEFORE THEY TRY IT OUT IN HUMANS. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy
                You might like to try 1st Page http://www.evrsoft.com/ 1st Page 2000 is free and has CSS they also have a beta 1st Page 2006 version which I haven't tried yet but I've down loaded it to check it out.
                I used this years ago in my pre-mac days. It's a solid program & I can only assume it has improved over the years.

Comment

Hi,

If you want/need help redesigning your site, e-mail me at info@polett.com
                  I'll be more than happy to help out.

I know it's late in the thread but my 2 cents are that any WYSIWYG software you use is only good as a tool. HTML knowledge always comes handy to keep your coding clean and simple but, if you ONLY change minor text contents, I would go for FP.

Anyhow, like I said, if you'd like help, just yell.
                  Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Comment

For what it's worth - I just found an interesting site -
                    www.lynda.com
                    that provides tutorial videos on a long list of software titles - I signed up for Flash training.
                    $25 / mo gives unlimited access.
                    Recommended By Kevin Kelly at his Cool Tools website - he used to write for Whole Earth Quaterly.

Comment

hey thanks alot. I actually had Trainman redo my whole site and will be doing changes in the future. I'm glad I could give someone on this group my work and he did a good job. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to take over in the near future here. Full-time caregiver and all ya know.
                      Cindy Waters
                      injury march 2003

Comment

Lynda.com is a good source for books.

I try my best, just glad to help.
                        C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Working...
                        X