what are your favorite widgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are your favorite widgets

Just a poll for the mac users out there.
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

not a mac user, but what's a widget? and is it something I want and should feel cheated as a windows user?

Comment

they are cool little programs that live on an overlay of your desktop anything from games to ebay to webcams to wheather trafic. without having to actually open the application. sorry but you should feel cheated ... i love my mac

Comment

Originally posted by chick
        not a mac user, but what's a widget? and is it something I want and should feel cheated as a windows user?
        Don't you know that Mac users are WAY cooler? :P
        Last edited by Scorpion; 19 Aug 2005, 1:18 AM.

Comment

Right now I just have: Calendar, Clock, Weather, Dictionary/Thesaurus, Translator, Phone Book. I'd have my address book up if I'd get it organized with like, addresses and stuff.

Comment

*shrug* my powerbook is still running jaguar & my powermac is running panther.

The software I use on an almost daily basis is expensive enough to keep updated anyway that these almost yearly OS upgrades only get consideration if they're necessary. That being said, my macs do what I need 'em to. And yes, mac users are way cooler... haha.
            Last edited by -scott-; 19 Aug 2005, 9:42 AM.

Comment

I find that I don't use it much because of the extra mouse click:
              • Clock
              • Stock (Dow Jones)
              • Weather (New York)
              • Dictionary/Thesaurus
              • Itunes controller
              • Calculator
              • Calendar

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
                I find that I don't use it much because of the extra mouse click:
                Same here. I think they should make icon versions that are maybe twice the size of a regular icon to sit on your desktop. Or something. Maybe a small menu bar that can be moved. -shrug- I think the Dashboard & Widgets are a good idea, just not fully conceived yet.

Comment

I like the word of the day todays word is: ephemeral = a life span that that begins and ends in one day such as an ephemeral flower. And lets not forget "hot or not" its just funny. Anyway, "more flower power please".

Comment

"Now Playing" for my Tivo.

Comment

Konfabulator free for Windows and Mac.

http://www.konfabulator.com/
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                      --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                      ––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PN
                        Konfabulator free for Windows and Mac.

http://www.konfabulator.com/
                        Yes, very cool!
                        C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

Okay, you guys did it to me. I downloaded a bunch of widgets that just came out and they so fabulous, I have installed them.

• Google Maps Widget 2.1. This beats going to the web for your maps. All you do is type in any city name and it will show you a map of the area and you can then zoom and scroll with your mouse. It is much faster than looking up places on the web. Furthermore, it caches your maps so that once you have looked them up once, it retrieves them instantly.

• Wikipedia Widget. This gives me all the information from my favorite encyclopedia faster than a browser can. It also provides the links so that I can copy it to posts on here.

• Airport Scan. This scans and shows all the wifi networks, ranked in order of signal strength and availability (i.e whether a password is required).

• Flight Tracker. You just type in any two city and it will show you all flights between the cities, their times and their current status.

• Gas Widget. This amazing widget finds all the gas stations within a specifiable radius of your zip code and lists their latest gas prices (regular, premium, diesel, etc.) with their address.

• TV Tracker. This shows the TV shows for your area and provider. If you want to find out more about the shows, clicking the show will take you to the web site and describes the particular show.

• Phone book. I didn't think that I would use this. However, after 5 minutes, I am thinking that this widget sounds the death knell of white and yellow phage phone books. You just type a name and it gives you a listing of all phone book entries (you specify a zip code and radius) with phone numbers and addresses. So, given my propensity for such things, I typed in "spinal" to see what I would get. I got back "Central Jersey Spinal Cord Injury Association, 732-220-0870, 17 Jefferson Ave, New Brunswick, NJ". I accidentally clicked the entry and it automatically pulled out MapQuest and showed the map to the place. I am impressed.

• HKWeather. This is for Suzanne Poon. This little widget gives the current high/low temperatures, humidity, and weather from the Hong Kong Observatory for 14 districts in Hong Kong, as well as tomorrow's forecast. It displays in either Chinese or English.

Wise.

Comment

see....now isn't that worth the extra click Dr, Wise.

Comment

Right now, I have up:

Dictionary, Things To Do list, Phone Book, Weather, and Event Countdown (for school). I use the Sticky notes often too.
                              If there is light
                              it will find
                              you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X