My computer is possessed and I am desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My computer is possessed and I am desperate

Files just evaporate. Programs close. Once I saw them do it right before my eyes. Even if my router is not so secure, I can't imagine anyone bothering, and having sustained enough interest, to torment me since April. Certainly nobody who knows me has animus or interest enough to have lifted my passwords and torment me.

I have speculated that it could be Dragon, which has proven to be at the root of most evil in my technical life, which was ruthlessly slow in Word for months at least before I quit using Word in April, because those are the files that disappear, or perhaps revert to older version, or just generally mess with me.

I will note that I think this all started when I started using Onedrive and Carbonite.
    My goals now is to find a computer guy who knows enough to help me. Over the years I have found numerous experts in hardware, about which I know little myself, but few who knew more than I about software (which is no more than I have picked up using the basics), and nobody here knows anything about Dragon, really.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Otherwise I have the geek squad coming Wednesday, and when they presumably have no idea I expect we will just wipe my program section of my hard drive and reinstall programs. I think it's possible my original computer guy partition my hard drive into sections. I'm not sure if operating system and programs are or could be separate, but if they are separate, should they wipe both or only one?

Tell me about your system configuration; what kind of CPU, RAM, OS version and DNS version? Bring up task manager and sort by memory or CPU usage and see what program(s) are using up your resources.

Comment

With a solid-state drive accessing a different partition or drive letter should be no different in seek/read/write time

Comment

Working...
      X