Home Network using public Access Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Network using public Access Point

My family bought me a new Android smart tv for Christmas. I'm one of those tinfoil hat people who loath having to sign-in to google or any other "service" to gain access. The tv connects to the public wifi included in my rent. But it won't run any apps...I assume because it wants me to sign-in.

While waiting on a HDMI cable to connect my spare laptop to the tv I thought I should try to network all my devices so I can share everything including the printer, cell phone, bluetooth speakers, and any home automation features I may have in the future like garage door opener, security cameras, lights etc...

Every networking topology I see uses a hardwire internet connection to a router. I only have a wireless access point available. Trying to figure out what hardware (if any) I need to create my apartment network behind the wifi access point. I'm able to turn on the mobile hotspot on the laptop...but I don't know if that will allow me to use the tv as a wireless display?

Probably more than one specific question here but if any network ninjas have suggestions how to connect it all and still be safe, preferably offline I'd like to hear about it!

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Why would you connect your laptop to the TV? That defeats the purpose of the laptop being portable.

It also depends on what your trying to accomplish are you going to stream content from the TV or use conventional cable or dish equipment?

We got rid of cable years ago so we use streaming only content and we use Firesticks from Amazon much more user friendly

Your smart phone should handle all your automation like lights, cameras etc., I don't think I would tie it to the TV but we can view our nest ring video from any tv in the house though a firestick (Amazon $49)

Also look at equipment like Google Minis to control lights, thermostats, etc even from bed

Also no real need for printers because you can scan and send or receive as attachments by email

Hot spot it not strong enough to run a tv and my guess is you dont have a big enough data plan too

Needing home internet and connect it all via wifi

Comment

Thanks for the help.
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

Working...
      X