Calling all mathematicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all mathematicians

I'm seriously terrible at math maybe some here can figure this one out. I took a middle number of spinal cord injury people living in USA right now at 300,000. Our current population is 331,000,000.
    So my question is. What is the percentage of SCI per AB's in the in United States.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

300,000 / 331,000,000 = 0.0090634 = 0.09%

Corrected. I should not do even basic arithmetic late at night!

(kld)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 28 Dec 2020, 3:59 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Sorry KLD, I have to differ...
      300,000 / 331,000,000 = 0.00090634
      0.0009 * 100 = 0.09%
      T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
        SCI-Nurse commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for catching my error. I fixed it. (KLD)

Originally posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
      Sorry KLD, I have to differ...
      300,000 / 331,000,000 = 0.00090634
      0.0009 * 100 = 0.09%
      So does that mean we are less than 1 per 100 people?

Bob Seger

Comment

Originally posted by tvot View Post

So does that mean we are less than 1 per 100 people?
        Yes. Actually less than 1 per 1000 people. It is also estimated that there are about 10,000 new injuries annually in the USA.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Yes. Actually less than 1 per 1000 people. It is also estimated that there are about 10,000 new injuries annually in the USA.
          That's what I thought after but I didn't wanna edit it. Any who isn't there more paras and quads?
          Bob Seger

Comment

You can get some statistical information from the SCI Model Systems Database here:

https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/Public_Pages/FAQ

and here:

https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/Public/20...%20Version.pdf

and here:

https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/Public/Fa...res%202020.pdf

There is also some statistical information on the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Foundation webpage.

Model System Data only follows those who went through a Model Systems SCI rehab center, and also excluded Dept. of Veterans Affairs data, but they extrapolate their data to include estimates of others.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
            X