Computer protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer protection

My Trend Micro is up for renewal in a while.
    Any suggestions on better, cheaper, smoother running protection?
    Thanks

I'm increasingly hearing advice to avoid antivirus software, particularly with MacOS or Windows 10. See a Wirecutter opinion here.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

• Oddity
      Oddity commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm definitely in this camp. Regular backups work fine. Less effort to reimage a disk than deal with managing 3rd party antivirus software IMO.

I'm pretty sure this is gonna jinx me, and all my stuff is doomed now, but...

...I haven't used anything but what comes with the OSes for over 10 years and haven't had issues. I'm more of a "back it up often enough" than a "run a bunch of protection" software kinda guy.

I only have 2 Windows and one Android system to keep track of though. The rest are Unix/Linux based, or iOS, so that inherently reduces risks. One Windows (gaming) machine has been unprotected and online (with regular full images) since 2017. It's still clean.

I also use OpenDNS filtering to block many many many thousands of known troublesome sites (and advertising) so that probably helps too. (Until my kids figure out how to use a VPN...assuming they're haven't already!)

I'm also not spending anytime on 420xxxfreemoviesfromRussiaxxx69420 dot com.

That probably helps too

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Just recently had to replace my hard drive on my desktop Mac, and the repair shop (best in the area) found several malware programs on my hard drive. They recommended and I had installed Malwarebytes (Premium). Premium is better than their free version, and they are having a discount sale right now.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Just recently had to replace my hard drive on my desktop Mac, and the repair shop (best in the area) found several malware programs on my hard drive. They recommended and I had installed Malwarebytes (Premium). Premium is better than their free version, and they are having a discount sale right now.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

(KLD)
        I totally agree. About $40 a year, doesn't slow system like Norton and McAfee. Also allows Windows Defender with no conflicts. I've used Malwarebytes for 6 years. It has caught Trojans and malware when trying to open PDF's for power chairs (you'd think that is safe stuff, NOT). This year it has blocked 12 issues and I only go to supposedly safe places.

Firefox is safest browser and even better when you add these free extensions; Duck Duck Go search engine, Ad Blocker Plus, Privacy Badger, and Facebook Container (if you use FB). Facebook can track you in so many ways it would take too long to explain. Google has gotten real bad about tracking too. Browsers want you to add your phone number "in case you get locked out of your account" they tell you. That's total B.S. They want to sell your number to telemarketers.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Another endorsement for Malwarebytes. I used their free service for a while then switched to premium which is pretty inexpensive since it covers three devices, in my case 2 PC's and a phone. That in conjunction with Windows Defender seem to do a pretty good job. I have not tallied up the total but Malwarbytes stops me fairly frequently from going where I should not go, also in conjunction with Firefox and DuckDuckGo.
          Last edited by endo_aftermath; 07-26-2020, 12:35 PM. Reason: added "not"

Comment

I have been running Kaspersky antivirus for several years now with no problems. I also run malwarebytes. A virus and malware are not the same thing.

Comment

Working...
            X