Computer protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer protection

My Trend Micro is up for renewal in a while.
    Any suggestions on better, cheaper, smoother running protection?
    Thanks

I'm increasingly hearing advice to avoid antivirus software, particularly with MacOS or Windows 10. See a Wirecutter opinion here.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

• Oddity
      Oddity commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm definitely in this camp. Regular backups work fine. Less effort to reimage a disk than deal with managing 3rd party antivirus software IMO.

I'm pretty sure this is gonna jinx me, and all my stuff is doomed now, but...

...I haven't used anything but what comes with the OSes for over 10 years and haven't had issues. I'm more of a "back it up often enough" than a "run a bunch of protection" software kinda guy.

I only have 2 Windows and one Android system to keep track of though. The rest are Unix/Linux based, or iOS, so that inherently reduces risks. One Windows (gaming) machine has been unprotected and online (with regular full images) since 2017. It's still clean.

I also use OpenDNS filtering to block many many many thousands of known troublesome sites (and advertising) so that probably helps too. (Until my kids figure out how to use a VPN...assuming they're haven't already!)

I'm also not spending anytime on 420xxxfreemoviesfromRussiaxxx69420 dot com.

That probably helps too

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Just recently had to replace my hard drive on my desktop Mac, and the repair shop (best in the area) found several malware programs on my hard drive. They recommended and I had installed Malwarebytes (Premium). Premium is better than their free version, and they are having a discount sale right now.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Just recently had to replace my hard drive on my desktop Mac, and the repair shop (best in the area) found several malware programs on my hard drive. They recommended and I had installed Malwarebytes (Premium). Premium is better than their free version, and they are having a discount sale right now.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

(KLD)
        I totally agree. About $40 a year, doesn't slow system like Norton and McAfee. Also allows Windows Defender with no conflicts. I've used Malwarebytes for 6 years. It has caught Trojans and malware when trying to open PDF's for power chairs (you'd think that is safe stuff, NOT). This year it has blocked 12 issues and I only go to supposedly safe places.

Firefox is safest browser and even better when you add these free extensions; Duck Duck Go search engine, Ad Blocker Plus, Privacy Badger, and Facebook Container (if you use FB). Facebook can track you in so many ways it would take too long to explain. Google has gotten real bad about tracking too. Browsers want you to add your phone number "in case you get locked out of your account" they tell you. That's total B.S. They want to sell your number to telemarketers.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Another endorsement for Malwarebytes. I used their free service for a while then switched to premium which is pretty inexpensive since it covers three devices, in my case 2 PC's and a phone. That in conjunction with Windows Defender seem to do a pretty good job. I have not tallied up the total but Malwarbytes stops me fairly frequently from going where I should not go, also in conjunction with Firefox and DuckDuckGo.
          Last edited by endo_aftermath; 26 Jul 2020, 12:35 PM. Reason: added "not"

Comment

I have been running Kaspersky antivirus for several years now with no problems. I also run malwarebytes. A virus and malware are not the same thing.

Comment

Last days and Trend are offering late 50% discount on 6 devices over 2 years.
              So, the previous offer came with a 100% loading. Devious rats.

The council levy rates(taxes) with a discount for early payment. Another dodgy practice of smoke and mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
                Another endorsement for Malwarebytes. I used their free service for a while then switched to premium which is pretty inexpensive since it covers three devices, in my case 2 PC's and a phone. That in conjunction with Windows Defender seem to do a pretty good job. I have not tallied up the total but Malwarbytes stops me fairly frequently from going where I should not go, also in conjunction with Firefox and DuckDuckGo.
                May I ask what the annual cost is for the three devices?
                Last edited by slow_runner; 7 Aug 2020, 4:21 PM.

Comment

• endo_aftermath
                  endo_aftermath commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm grandfathered in on a plan no longer available. Their current offers are one device for $40us or five devices for $80us.

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                Thanks
                Your the best protection...basic cleaners work fine (free) and just dont be clicking on random links, dont respond to junk mail, and watch your social media account for hacks.

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Have never had a virus, broken computer or hard drive...

Comment

I do computer security for a living (but not really PC security) and I've got a bit of experience. For one thing, I met Eugene Kaspersky at their office outside Moscow. I've seen a bit how they do what they do under the hood. I think their technical capabilities are among the best. Back when my mom used a Windows PC, Kaspersky was what I installed on it. I use a Mac now. And my rule for friends and family is that I will be their tech support all day long happily if they use a Mac, and they can find someone else if they use Windows. (I'm all thumbs on Windows. I really am no help at all) I don't run any anti-virus or anti-malware on my Macs. I do 2 important things, one of which Oddity mentioned above: backups. I use Time Machine and backup religiously. Most of the damage a virus or malware does can be undone simply by restoring from reliable backups. Time Machine is reliable and free (costing you no more than the hard disk you buy for your backups).

The other thing I do religiously is blocking advertisements. I use a thing called a "pi-hole" (https://pi-hole.net/) which is free, open-source software. It's amazing at blocking ads on mobile, PlayStation, iPads, laptops, you name it. It blocks ads on the whole network in a really clever and transparent way. Other good choices are Ad-Block Plus (which is a plugin for Firefox and Chrome) or "Better" which is a content filter on Macs and iPhones.

Why do I talk about ad-blocking when you're talking about anti-virus and anti-malware? Because the #1 way that viruses and malware get onto your computer is by clicking on malicious ads. Things that are meant to look like error boxes or look like useful software or scare you into thinking you have a problem and you have to click a button. They're in front of you because they're a paid advertisement, either on Facebook, or Google, or some web site you're visiting. And when you click, you invoke the bad software and it installs itself. If you never see ads at all, you won't see malicious ads.

If you do NOTHING else, and you just want a totally free way to protect a little bit against malware, follow the instructions at Quad9 (https://quad9.com/) to start using them. It's a free service that offers reliable DNS that is WAY better than the DNS your internet provider offers. And they do a lot to prevent your computers from contacting known malware sites. So even if you DO accidentally click on that virus or malware, your computer won't succeed in contacting them and downloading the software.

Comment

Big thanks.
                    Time running out fast so I am closing down all applications(correct term ??), clearing the screen and running a full scan.
                    Then to apply myself to the advice offered.

Comment

Update:
                      I have AdblockPlus now and what a difference. No more invasion(?) and in my face from unsolicited interests.
                      Such a relief - even when I am out shopping for items I object to the sales person who swoops down with their 'sincere' welcome. If I need to know or be given direction, I will ask. Grumpy? Perhaps but my first after school job was in menswear where we we taught the mechanism to extract every potential sale. Totally insincere and foreign to me.

Trend have a limited offer- Trend Micro Maximum Security for 6 devices/24 months NZ$143 total with NZ$50 cashback deducted.

Now looking at what Kaspersky and Bitdefender have on offer.

With reference to Facebook, I have avoided that place like the plague. Generally because I see it as bad as Twitter and all the other sites that 'utter'.

Our local spinal support agencies are on Facebook, so to keep up with what is current, what is offering, requesting and offering assistance and items/stuff, I may have to compromise myself and use the damn vehicle.

I am a dinosaur, I know that
                      Last edited by slow_runner; 10 Aug 2020, 5:01 AM.

Comment

Update:

With reference to Facebook, I have avoided that place like the plague. Generally because I see it as bad as Twitter and all the other sites that 'utter'.

I am a dinosaur, I know that

I try to avoid Facebook too, this is not the best place

Comment

Thanks
                          If you pay for protection your throwing your money away. I worked from home 10 + years and our It used free protection...AVG free etc.

Just dont click on email links sent to you and dont pay ransom companies if your browser gets hijacked Control Alt Delete!

Comment

Working...
                          X