Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 computers I want to work w/1 mouse, 1 keyboard, and 2 monitors (extended display)..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 computers I want to work w/1 mouse, 1 keyboard, and 2 monitors (extended display)..

Hi...I have heard of VGA switches, but I want to do the following and aren't sure how:

I have a Lenova M700 computer for work (which has Rear: 4 x USB 3.0, DisplayPort? + DisplayPort? 1 x Punch Out (VGA / HDMI? DisplayPort? / Serial)
    1 x LAN
    1 x Audio

I also have an HP 8100 large Desktop (which has: Video Input: VGA Port-, Display Port-, DVI Video Port-, HDMI Port-
    Additional Ports: USB 2.0-, USB 3.0-, Serial Port-, Parallel Ports-, Digital Card Reader)

Basically, I want to have 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 2 monitors (which I want EACH computer, when booted up to use the "dual screen" mode where the cursor goes between each screen). I DON'T want one monitor for one computer, and one monitor for the other.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by kovyfan1127; 03-20-2020, 10:52 PM. Reason: mistake

I think you want a KVM switch. Keyboard, Video, Mouse. Not sure about the dual monitors though. Edit: dual monitor KVMs are available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch
    Last edited by Joe-MN; 03-21-2020, 01:20 AM.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-CKL-.../dp/B07KN4J2XD

Something like this probably

Comment

I've decided I'm going with a single monitor for other reasons. My monitor has a VGA connection. One computer has an HDMI and/or VGA connection, and my work computer has just a Displayport connection and USB connectors. So, I guess I would need a display port to VGA adapter plus a KVM switch that has VGA for 2 ports?

I should note too: my work computer won't allow any software to download on it, but reading about these KVM switches, it looks like they don't require software.
        Last edited by kovyfan1127; 03-21-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kovyfan1127 View Post
          Hi...I have heard of VGA switches, but I want to do the following and aren't sure how:

I have a Lenova M700 computer for work (which has Rear: 4 x USB 3.0, DisplayPort? + DisplayPort? 1 x Punch Out (VGA / HDMI? DisplayPort? / Serial)
          1 x LAN
          1 x Audio

I also have an HP 8100 large Desktop (which has: Video Input: VGA Port-, Display Port-, DVI Video Port-, HDMI Port-
          Additional Ports: USB 2.0-, USB 3.0-, Serial Port-, Parallel Ports-, Digital Card Reader)

Basically, I want to have 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, 2 monitors (which I want EACH computer, when booted up to use the "dual screen" mode where the cursor goes between each screen). I DON'T want one monitor for one computer, and one monitor for the other.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by kovyfan1127 View Post
            I've decided I'm going with a single monitor for other reasons. My monitor has a VGA connection. One computer has an HDMI and/or VGA connection, and my work computer has just a Displayport connection and USB connectors. So, I guess I would need a display port to VGA adapter plus a KVM switch that has VGA for 2 ports?

I should note too: my work computer won't allow any software to download on it, but reading about these KVM switches, it looks like they don't require software.
            maybe a bit late but my new logitech trackball has a 2 computer function, its pretty cool
            just hit the button. https://www.logitech.com/en-au/produ...l-mouse?crid=7
            survivor of beijing oeg transplant

Comment

In terms of future-proofing, I wouldn't buy something that uses VGA or DisplayPort. Those are older technologies that we are slowly moving away from. If you can manage to do HDMI, this little $43 gadget looks like it does what you want.

I haven't used it before, but it looks like it will work. If all you've got is Displayport somewhere, you can get a Displayport to HDMI adapter for another $10. (You can probably find it cheaper on eBay). That would get both monitors going HDMI into this KVM switch via HDMI.

I hope I understood what you were after.

Comment

Working...
              X