Answering a cellphone with your voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answering a cellphone with your voice

I bought a Google Pixel 2 after reading about its voice control.
    I assumed that I could initiate calls and answer them by voice but I can't answer an incoming call without touching the screen.

Anyhow, are there any cellphones or apps that allow you to make and receive calls with your voice?

There is an app for android called Voice Access by Google that claims to do this. I have not tried it, but it is free and might be worth having a look at. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
      I bought a Google Pixel 2 after reading about its voice control.
      I assumed that I could initiate calls and answer them by voice but I can't answer an incoming call without touching the screen.

Anyhow, are there any cellphones or apps that allow you to make and receive calls with your voice?
      Pixel 2 has voice answer blocked sorry but some headsets like BlueAnt have it avail.

You can make out going calls by setting up Google Assistant and just say "OK Google call Aunt Mary on Speaker phone" and call begins.

Good Luck

Comment

Not a lot of help for you with an android, but the new voice control feature in Apple's IOS 13 will allow you to receive calls with your voice. Comes out sometime in September.

Comment

I downloaded Vysor which allows me to control the phone with my laptop and since I'm doing bed rest, that solves the problem aside from when I turn everything off and go to sleep.

Comment

The Motorola Moto Z works very well for answering and initiating calls by voice. I forget now because it’s been a while, but you have to set up carefully – – call them and ask be elevated to level II or III assistants. I had to set up another way, not using the Google stuff. If you have trouble let me know and I will try to find my notes. It announces my call and I say answer, hey [whenever you name your phone] – – call mom – call 800-555-1212 on speakerphone – – call on speakerphone (who do you want to call on speakerphone) – mom

My computer guy is setting up an iPad for me for calls also and something came out Thursday or Friday that will make the voice stuff better. Maybe it’s a new phone OS (iOS?). If you don’t know what I’m trying to say let me know and I’ll ask him.
            Last edited by Random; 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              My computer guy is setting up an iPad for me for calls also and something came out Thursday or Friday that will make the voice stuff better. Maybe it’s a new phone OS (iOS?). If you don’t know what I’m trying to say let me know and I’ll ask him.
              Yeah, Voice Control comes out on September 19 with the release of IOS 13. Here's the release video, I was stoked to be featured in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoXFCCTfm4

Comment

Originally posted by Ambisinister View Post
                Yeah, Voice Control comes out on September 19 with the release of IOS 13. Here's the release video, I was stoked to be featured in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoXFCCTfm4
                Awesome video! I can't wait to try it out. Sounds like there are a lot of commands to learn. Is it similar to Dragon Dictate?

Comment

IOS13 voice control is flakey at best, I've almost given up with it until Apple improve it. It is not reliable and sometimes responds and other times does nothing. Battery drains really quickly on both iphone and ipad with it switched on, I've had to fit a USB socket to my chair to keep the phone powered from the chair batteries. I bought a new ipad pro because of the voice control feature and now use it with an R Net mouse module as Apple finally added bluetooth mouse support. Use chair joystick and occasional voice control and it is almost usable. Mouse might be not as usable on a phone.

The most annoying part is if you leave voice control on it'll react to any conversation you are having so you end up switching off and having to use Siri to start it. It just hasn't been thought through fully.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with voice control. There were some issues with the earlier beta versions where response times were slow and a restart would give improvement. Have had no problem with it in the past few weeks though. Battery drain can be a problem, though I'm in a power chair and can pretty much always have my phone plugged in. I just use the "go to sleep" command to make it not engage/listen when I'm having a conversation.Then use "wake up" when needed. Using Siri to turn VC on and off can be useful if you're having power drain issues.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm quite impressed with the dictation accuracy and editability, as well as the ease of controlling most all features on my phone with just voice. I'm a C2 complete with only head and neck function and have previously used switch control and Siri to interact with my phone. Voice control is a huge leap forward in my world.

Comment

I've tried using bluetooth mics because my speech isn't great with the vent. They seem worse than the inbuilt mic but I can't get phone to a position where I can read it and be close enough for the mic to always hear me. Latest beta doesn't seem much better. We'll see what the final version is like but I am not confident that it'll be reliable, Nuance struggled with Dragon for Mac for years and never got it right. Mouse control via my chair joystick is still the best thing in IOS13 for me although a little difficult on a small phone screen.

Comment

Currently voice control is not supported with microphones. I thought the same thing when I started by using a Bluetooth mic, it was picking up worse than the built-in mic. I don't think you can even use air pods as a microphone for voice control yet. They will be implementing microphone support soon. Once I realized I needed to directionalize my voice more towards my phone, it improved significantly. It certainly works best in a quiet room, but I've been successful with it lately in a pub environment. I'm usually only on the vent at night, and haven't done much testing while on the vent. I'll give it a try. If I had any hand function to use a joystick, or if I drove my chair with chin drive I would probably be all about mouse control. However, I'm a sip and puff user and mouse control via sip and puff is pretty bad. I've also been having fun with their new head tracking feature. It allows you to move a mouse/pointer with just subtle movements of your head. I don't have quite enough neck movement to make it viable on a daily basis, however I really appreciate the various options for inputs that Apple is offering for people with limited mobility.

As far as your phone position goes… Do you have it mounted on your chair? RAM Mount is making a lot of great very sturdy options for us. I guess my phone is mounted ~50 cm away from my face, right above my hand on the armrest. I have a fairly quiet voice, maybe my success is just because of the short distance between my mouth and phone.

Finally, just peeked into your profile and we have a fair amount in common. I was also injured in a cycling accident, and still a huge advocate for the cycling community. I do lots of ridiculously long rides in my chair, my way of continuing bike touring in the way I can. Today was my 1051 consecutive day out on a bike trail. Here's my site/blog if you're interested. https://www.iansride.com/

Comment

I was at a cycle Show last week and played around with voice control on the ipad pro passing time in the hotel lounge. Pad and phone are mounted with a Ram mount same position as you but my support workers held it close to my mouth. It still wasn't reliable, reacting to some commands ignoring others at some points suggesting I use the same phrase I just had! Possibly my accent but as per my previous post Nuance dropped Dragon after years of trying and being unable to get it reliable.

Sip and puff would be difficult for mouse, tongue control probably the other option or possibly a Now Technologies gyro headset which requires very little head movement and can control a chair.

I'm still heavily involved in cycling, currently running a brand developing mountain bikes, use a Boma off road wheelchair to get out with riders.Not as much as I would like the job is time consuming and riding is secondary to real work. One on my off road chair if you are interested https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/michael-bonneys-boma-7

Comment

Originally posted by mrb View Post
                            I was at a cycle Show last week and played around with voice control on the ipad pro passing time in the hotel lounge. ...

I'm still heavily involved in cycling, currently running a brand developing mountain bikes, use a Boma off road wheelchair to get out with riders.Not as much as I would like the job is time consuming and riding is secondary to real work. One on my off road chair if you are interested https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/michael-bonneys-boma-7
                            The Equal Adventure site is exciting and I know your involvement will be a Godsend for a few individuals, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                              The Equal Adventure site is exciting and I know your involvement will be a Godsend for a few individuals, Michael.
                              I've stopped work with Equal Adventure, they have their own ideas. Weirdly just got approached by another off road wheelchair company this week so might end up doing some work for them

Comment

Working...
                              X