Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are Quads using for controlling their PC? Looking for better solutions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a Quha Zono gyroscopic mouse with sip and puff switch for left clicks plus the voice control features that now come standard With MacOS Catalina and IOS 13. So I use this with both a Mac and iPad.

https://www.quha.com/products-2/zono/

I never thought I would find an adequate replacement for the great but discontinued Headmaster Plus but the Quha Zono is just that and even better in some ways.

I also have a Quadstick that is primarily used for gaming but can serve as a back up mouse if needed.

-PN
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread to ask what other high quads with no hand and little neck movement are using for computer input these days? Thank you!

Comment

Scaper1 I know the tracker pro headmouse has software that allows you to amplify your head movement, so if you move your neck a bit it translates into a larger cursor movement on the screen.

I don't have one as they no longer sell it, you might be able to find one second hand though.

I do think there might be a way to get the same effect if you use another headtracker like a headmouse and software called Custom Curve https://mouseacceleration.com/.

It is used for adjusting mouse settings for gaming, but I think there is a setting for getting the same effect as the tracker pro with its software.

There is a free version of custom curve, but I don't know if it includes that setting. The custom curve pro license if needed is $14.99.

I have not tried it but it might work.

There is Dragon for voice input and sip puff or dwell clicking for clicking like many have suggested here.

There is also a software called speech productivity http://www.speechproductivity.eu/SPS...html#image2-f8 you can use along with dragon speech recognition that includes a much better speech controlled mouse than the dragon one.

They have a lot of demos on youtube of the different features in speech productivity but not of their mouse grid.

I do use speech productivity and it is good, but I tend not to use the mouse functionality as I prefer to use a headmouse for moving the mouse along with sip / puff switch for clicking or dwell click software.

Comment

Scaper1 Let me know if any of that is of any use.

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
            Does anybody use a QuadStick to enhance their mouse and keyboard capabilities on a PC or Mac? I know that they’re designed for gaming, but I wonder if they might also be useful for productivity.
            Hell yes! I use my QuadStick for productivity all the time. I can't imagine using my computer without it now. I bought a second one just so that I have a spare if my primary breaks.

Life-changing.

C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

Hell yes! I use my QuadStick for productivity all the time. I can't imagine using my computer without it now. I bought a second one just so that I have a spare if my primary breaks.

Life-changing.
              Holy moly, what a strong recommendation! I bought one a while back but haven’t set it up because I do pretty well with a rollerball And don’t want to add unnecessary clutter around the computer. Maybe it’s time to experiment!
              C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Holy moly, what a strong recommendation! I bought one a while back but haven’t set it up because I do pretty well with a rollerball And don’t want to add unnecessary clutter around the computer. Maybe it’s time to experiment!
                I have a trackball too. I actually use it alongside often. Trackball to move the mouse and QuadStick to left/right click while using the joystick to scroll pages up and down. Really efficient! When I'm being lazy or my arm hurts, I use the QuadStick only. I actually underutilize the power of the QuadStick. my favorite part which I need to do more of is configuring hotkeys for different apps to the QuadStick. Trading? How about a puff to sell and a sip to buy! Coding? How about a sip to select all occurrences of the highlighted word! So much power.

Lastly, I don't think the setup is complete without Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

I have a trackball too. I actually use it alongside often. Trackball to move the mouse and QuadStick to left/right click while using the joystick to scroll pages up and down. Really efficient! When I'm being lazy or my arm hurts, I use the QuadStick only. I actually underutilize the power of the QuadStick. my favorite part which I need to do more of is configuring hotkeys for different apps to the QuadStick. Trading? How about a puff to sell and a sip to buy! Coding? How about a sip to select all occurrences of the highlighted word! So much power.

Lastly, I don't think the setup is complete without Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
                  Ahhh… It occurs to me that maybe it is an especially good fit for a Windows PC. I wonder if it is as useful on a Mac…
                  C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Ahhh… It occurs to me that maybe it is an especially good fit for a Windows PC. I wonder if it is as useful on a Mac…
                    Yes, works with a Mac. Macs are limiting for quads. Just saying.

Comment

I'm using a sip and puff headset along with a microphone for Dragon. That I can do both typing and clicking.
                      Headset https://www.orin.com/access/sip_puff/
                      USB microphone, I can get the particular model.
                      Attached Files
                      "My financials are just that"

Comment

Originally posted by rob1 View Post
                        Scaper1 Let me know if any of that is of any use.
                        Sorry, for some reason I never get the email notifications that I sign up for, so I'm late to reply.

I have a C1-C2 complete injury, with a full cervical fusion, so by very little movement I really mean a tiny nodding ability. I'm familiar with voice recognition, but being vent/ phrenic pacer dependent, my voice and general speech endurance can get sketchy. My writing brain also balks at thinking about what I want to say beforehand, I like to work out my thoughts *as* I write.

That's why I've always preferred sip & puff inputs. I recently found this explanation by another high quad (Jim Lubin - does anyone know him?) that explains it perfectly.

Morse code has a number of advantages over other alternate computer access strategies. It is usually faster, requires less fine motor control and is less likely to produce fatigue than other methods. Perhaps its most important advantage is its ability to become a sub-cognitive process. After using the code for a period of time, the Morse code user no longer thinks about the code they’re entering. This is the same process as is used by touch typists and it has a significant impact on speed, accuracy and the quality of the work being produced. Morse code is the only alternate access method that can become a sub-cognitive process.

The problem with using sip and puff, at least the hardware that I've been using for 25 years, is that it relies heavily on mouse key protocols, which are rapidly becoming obsolete. I've been stuck using Windows 7 because with any of the newer versions of Windows there's a long lag between what I input and what happens on the screen. Microsoft no longer supports the older versions, so I'm typing on borrowed time, haha.

Anyway, it's really hard to find help with this as it sometimes feels that I'm one of the only people in the world who still uses (quite happily) nothing but sip and puff.

Comment

@scaper so do you use sip and puff switches to move the cursor and to click the mouse buttons?

If you wanted to move the mouse without any neck movement have you tried an eye gaze system along with sip/puff for clicking or using dwell click?

I think this is the main eye gaze product on the market https://uk.tobiidynavox.com/products...37068958793887 not tried it but you should be able to check out reviews online and there are some demos on youtube.

Comment

Hi, thanks. The system I use (Darci) allows me to both type and click (drag the mouse, etc) via one sip & puff switch. It's very efficient and fast. One quick sequence takes me in or out of mouse mode. Hence my hesitation to try any other method.

Comment

• rob1
                              rob1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hey, doesn't sound as fast as the eye gaze system with a sip and puff switch but I have not used either. Have you tried an eye gaze system with sip and puff switch to compare which is faster?

I also use the quad stick almost exclusively as a mouse. Windows has a built-in on screen keyboard you can enable as well. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking as well. I wish I found quad stick years ago it would've saved significant wear and tear damage on my neck and shoulder from sitting at my computer sideways so I could use the keyboard and trackball with my one good arm. That stuff catches up with you over the years.

Comment

• rob1
                              rob1 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hey slynch, have you tried any of the headmouse type systems with a sip and puff switch?

Was just wondering as it would be interesting to know how it compares to the quad stick for general windows 10 or 11 use?

From the videos I have seen of the quad stick it seems you maybe would have to move your neck more than with a headmouse?

Anyway if anyone has used a headmouse type system with a sip and puff switch and a quad stick, it would be good to see how it compares and the pros and cons, as I was thinking of trying out the quad stick?

Thanks,
                              Rob

No I have never used any of the head mouse options. Have you browsed or asked in their forum? There are a lot people in there with different levels of ability and types of disability. I'm sure somebody has. The quad stick is really customizable based on your ability and needs. If you have Limited strength or movement it can be built with softer Springs that make it easier to move it can also be programmed to require les movement to get maximum range. Here's the website if you are interested.https://www.quadstick.com

Just join the forum and post a question.

Comment

Working...
                            X