No announcement yet.

Windows Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automation is right. The scan you did is a picture that you are trying to use in a text editor. You need to do what is called an OCR conversion to change that image into an accessible PDF file or simply mark it the image. You can try the process Automation posted or just use Adobe Acrobat....you probably already have it installed. Here's an old-ish video on how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DbnQ4CLPgo

If you have an iPhone you can take a picture of the hard copy and mark it up right on your phone.

Comment

Ok thanks everybody! I will try it again this afternoon and see if it will work. Oh and auto it is all different stuff I have to fill out. Not the same. Wish it was. I have to fill out 100’s of different stuff from government forms to bank and crop services type stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
        Windows 10 is the worse piece of crap ever so far. I won't even use it. Its that bad. Windows 7 works great so does my windows 8.1. But windows 10 is nothing but a nightmare to say the lease. Widows 10 may work better if you have a high speed connection. But were I live lucky you get 2 mg. Downloads when you want to use it....then you can't use it while it updates which is at least 4 hours at a time. Wish I could update when I wanted like all the other rather than this windows 10 crap.
        You might try WSUS Offline Update (http://download.wsusoffline.net/). It uses information from MS to determine the updates that would be applicable to you, downloads them from MS and stores them on a disk (or a DVD, etc.). At some later time, you tell it to install them for you.

I used to use this with XP but now run 7even on all of my machines ("No, thank you" for 10!). None of my machines (save this one) are connected to The Internet so its simply not practical to do updates any other way. (and, I wouldn't want every machine to have to download its own "copy" of every update!) This lets me update individual machines as I have time without connecting them to the outside world.

Note that as I don't run 10, I can't comment on how well the process works, there!

(For 7even, I only apply the monthly rollups. But, again, as my machines aren't exposed to "outside threats", I can safely skip most of the "security updates")

Comment

Originally posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
          A little late to the party, but later versions of Adobe Reader (Version 11 and above) allows you to type on a document and save the changes.
          Does Reader save the text as individual "objects" on a different "layer" above the image?

For example, if you "type whatever you want", and then go somewhere else and "type something else", can you THEN go back and "edit' the "typed whatever you want" to say "type something you need"? Likewise, can you drag the typed text around the page after you've "gone somewhere else"?

(I.e., does the text become part of the image after you "go somewhere else" to do something else? Or, does it retain its independence?)

Acrobat "behaves" so I would hope that Reader does as well (Reader is free but Acrobat costs)

Comment

I found the fix for windows 10 update. You can turn it off and it works. Computer works much better now thank god. If you want to update it you can turn it back on. It would update every 3 days and took forever. My cell phone has updates every night. Am so tired of updates on android. Seems like facebook and messenger once a week would be good but every other day with that crap is driving me crazy then I got to move the app after to storage. Why cant it just save it to storage once you do it then all the downloads could go there to. But ohhh no that be to dam simple. When you add up puter,cell phone tablet its gets to be a real pain in the azz. Sorry for the vent but my shoulders have been killing me as of late and simple things piss me off. Pain can do that I guess. Shoulder been hurting for 5 years now and getting worse. Doc said he would not touch my shoulder with a 10 foot pole since I got full movement. Between my shoulder and my back now my elbows even. Daytime is the worse. Sometimes everything hurts then just some parts then from 1 shoulder to the other in no time. Its like a bouncing ball you never no were it will stop and hurt like hell then move on to another spot. Don't know what the next day will bring so you cant plan a dam thing. Doc says its tendonitis and some arthritis. Sure is getting on my last nerve and I take medicine for it but it does not seem to work sometimes. Wish I just go asleep and never wake up would be fine by me. Sorry folks I just needed to vent for what good its gonna do me.
            Art

Comment

Originally posted by automation View Post
              Does Reader save the text as individual "objects" on a different "layer" above the image?

For example, if you "type whatever you want", and then go somewhere else and "type something else", can you THEN go back and "edit' the "typed whatever you want" to say "type something you need"? Likewise, can you drag the typed text around the page after you've "gone somewhere else"?

(I.e., does the text become part of the image after you "go somewhere else" to do something else? Or, does it retain its independence?)

Acrobat "behaves" so I would hope that Reader does as well (Reader is free but Acrobat costs)
              Once you have pressed enter after typing your text it becomes part of the image. You cannot edit it afterwards.
              T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
                Once you have pressed enter after typing your text it becomes part of the image. You cannot edit it afterwards.
                Oh, that's unfortunate! That's the problem with the "paint" kludge I suggested upthread -- "bearable" if you only rarely need to do this sort of thing.

Acrobat has a "typewriter" tool that lets you type on a layer (floating) above the image. And, each thing that you type becomes a separate entity. So, I could type "this stuff", then position the mouse above the quoted "paint", above, and insert "er" after the final 't' (e.g., painter).

Additionally, I can drag that word to some other place on the page, change the font (without retyping the text), etc.

It sounds like LHB might be wise to explore something like Acrobat (I use "Acrobat 9 Pro Extended", FWIW). It has provisions whereby it will automagically add "fillable fields" to a document that you've created (or scanned). So, you can tweek the position, size, font, etc. of those fields ONCE and save the document as a "master template" of sorts. Then, each time you need to fill out another copy/instance of that form, all you have to do is click in the appropriate field and start typing -- you don't have to "move" text snipets around the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by automation View Post
                  It sounds like LHB might be wise to explore something like Acrobat (I use "Acrobat 9 Pro Extended", FWIW). It has provisions whereby it will automagically add "fillable fields" to a document that you've created (or scanned). So, you can tweek the position, size, font, etc. of those fields ONCE and save the document as a "master template" of sorts. Then, each time you need to fill out another copy/instance of that form, all you have to do is click in the appropriate field and start typing -- you don't have to "move" text snipets around the screen.
                  I did a "screen snapshot" of the login dialog for this website (as a TIF file -- similar to what you'd get from a scanner). Then, created a PDF from this in Acrobat and told the "form wizard" to identify the likely fields in that "image". In the attached login1.pdf, you can see that it screwed up and created four fields instead of the obvious two! I then manually deleted the two superfluous fields to create the login2.pdf document.

Unfortunately, I forgot to save them with "permission" for YOU to save them after you've filled them in! But, you can, at least, see that they are easy to fill in and you can print them before you exit Reader (you don't need Acrobat in order to fill the forms in). Note that you can go back and edit the contents of either field as often as you wish.

Comment

Windows Help!

Take the red pill next time.

Microsoft doesn't use standard ASCII codes for punctuation.

Use nothing but letters and/or digits in username and password.

The strongest passwords are 4 random words separated by a single space. Only use a capital letter with a proper noun.

I use a different 4-word passphrase on each service. If the service has silly limits then I use a very weak one.

The worst ones have silly characters and are usually based on a single dictionary word with one or two extra characters. The Crack software targets these silly William E. Burr passwords very quickly.

outhouses umpires incendiary devour
                    haggard jaguars prescriptions underdogs
                    passports faithfulness customise reputation
                    iceberg commended otters haywire
                    downright yesterdays microorganism convalescence
                    totems lusts confiscates chunkier
                    http://zagam.net/

Comment

Working...
                    X