Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new laptop ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new laptop ?

    this might sound dumb but are the laptops at walmart just as good as the same brand at bestbuy

    and can you just bring it home plug in and its ready or is there a lot of setup stuff to do im not very good at tech stuff just want something for internet usage

    thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

  • #2
    Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    this might sound dumb but are the laptops at walmart just as good as the same brand at bestbuy

    and can you just bring it home plug in and its ready or is there a lot of setup stuff to do im not very good at tech stuff just want something for internet usage

    thanks
    If all you do is browse the web and email I would recommend a chromebook. They have them at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=&wl8=&veh=sem

    And to answer your question the only difference between a laptop at best buy and one at walmart will be that the walmart one will be cheaper.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you are not in a big rush, you might want to check out woot.com They often have great deals on laptops (sometimes new, sometimes refurbished).

      (KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

      Comment


      • #4
        A lot of laptops found on Walmart's website are the same models that are on Best Buy's. I was about to buy one from Best Buy and found the exact same model on Walmart and the extended warranty was cheaper too.
        I got the following model: Acer Aspire E5-575-54E8 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i5-6200U Dual-Core Processor, 6GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive
        I bought an extended warranty and bumped the ram up and so far is doing what I need.

        Comment


        • #5
          cool thanks yall
          to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by t8burst View Post
            If all you do is browse the web and email I would recommend a chromebook. They have them at walmart: https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=&wl8=&veh=sem

            And to answer your question the only difference between a laptop at best buy and one at walmart will be that the walmart one will be cheaper.

            a chromebook is the same thing as a laptop aint it or it looks the same anyway
            does that mean it uses google chrome browser
            how about any kind of setup is it all ready just bring home and plug in
            to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
              a chromebook is the same thing as a laptop aint it or it looks the same anyway
              does that mean it uses google chrome browser
              how about any kind of setup is it all ready just bring home and plug in
              Sure it's a laptop but it doesn't run Microsoft Windows, so it won't run software made for windows. But, they are fairly cheap and are fine for browsing and emails. Before you can make a good decision of what and where to buy, you must first know what you want to do. And yeah, all you have to do is bring it home and plug it in. You will have to answer some questions it's all fairly simple.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
                a chromebook is the same thing as a laptop aint it or it looks the same anyway
                does that mean it uses google chrome browser
                how about any kind of setup is it all ready just bring home and plug in
                Setup is two things:
                - setup your wireless (basically choose your wireless network and enter the password)
                - if you have a gmail account enter the email and password

                If you don't have a gmail account you will have to set one up, but that is just choosing a username and password.

                The other guy is correct, it wont run word, excel but google docs has excellent version that are similar and if some emails you a microsoft word file google docs can read it (and if it has a virus it wont work).

                You said all you did was internet stuff, which is browsing and email, you do more than that (like play graphics heavy games) you need a windows laptop.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know this may not be a practical choice, but I'd recommend an Apple computer in the future. I've had mine for 8 years, and it still runs better than my 3 y/o PC.
                  Don't call me Barbie, my name is Jen!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Whatever laptop you get, make sure you get one with an SSD and not a hard drive. Just type SSD vs HDD on youtube.
                    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, I want at least 500 SSD even better 1TB, 14" or 15.6" (non touch) OLED screen, very fast i-7 6770HQ or similar CPU,
                      16 GB RAM, Illuminated Keyboard, good graphic card, long life battery... how much could be...where to find?
                      www.MiracleofWalk.com

                      Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
                      to what we know about nature
                      Saint Augustine

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you are a new user with simple needs, starting with Apple might be okay. But switching from PC to Mac was the worst and most tragic decision of my technological life, with repercussions that have yet to end.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by comad View Post
                          Yes, I want at least 500 SSD even better 1TB, 14" or 15.6" (non touch) OLED screen, very fast i-7 6770HQ or similar CPU,
                          16 GB RAM, Illuminated Keyboard, good graphic card, long life battery... how much could be...where to find?
                          Newegg is a decent place to shop online... https://www.newegg.com

                          You can filter a search by all the specs you listed and more. Tough to get the machine you described for less than $1,000. Unless you build it yourself.
                          "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                          T5/6 complete

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by McLaren87 View Post
                            Whatever laptop you get, make sure you get one with an SSD and not a hard drive. Just type SSD vs HDD on youtube.
                            so this wouldnt be a good one


                            https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-ay0...Drive/51397788
                            to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post

                              For what you need, its not bad. It has a hard drive so its going to be loud and slower than a SSD. 1 TB (Terabyte) is 1000 GB (gigabytes) that's a lot of storage. Do you need that much ? If you downloaded a high quality movie from Amazon video, it would be around 2ish GB, just to give you an idea.

                              CPU (central processing unit). This is the brain of your computer, everything you ask your computer to do - its the CPU doing the tasks. You want at least an i3. That is intel's cheaper CPU of their core series....i3,i5,i7.

                              MEMORY, or RAM (random access memory). This allows you to have multiple application running at once, so your CPU doesn't have to keep repeating tasks you asked it to do. Example, the more website tabs you have going at once, the more RAM will be used. If you don't have enough RAM, your computer will be slow. You want at least 8GB of RAM.

                              Storage - SSD or HDD. SSD is faster and has no moving parts. Usually comes in sizes of 128gb, 256gb, 512gb and 1tb. I would recommend at least 256GB. Laptops with SSD are going to be more expensive

                              So its sort of a balancing act of what you want/need vs how much your willing to spend. If your not willing to spend more than 400, then I think that computer is fine for you.
                              Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X