No announcement yet.

environmental control unit?voice-activated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found setting up the Google Home (right out-of-the-box) was a little easier than the Amazon Echo. It will require some tech know-how to get these devices to work with your TV/home theater, lights, etc. You can also use it as a standalone device. You can now make calls to cell phones and land lines with the Amazon Echo. You will not be able to call 911. This gives the Echo some parity with the Google Home. To get started with the Amazon Echo or the Google Home, you will need to use a tablet or a smart phone. To make phone calls with the Amazon Echo (iPad will not work) you will need a smart phone for the initial set up. If you do not have a smart phone then you can borrow one. After that, you can start making phone calls through the Amazon Echo. Keep in mind this will be a speaker phone. I see no way to connect a headset to either device. The Google Home automatically syncs with your Google contacts. Therefore, you can use a tablet or a smart phone when setting the device up.

Finally, if you have a question that needs to be answered there is help on the Amazon website. Go to, Customer Questions & Answers. Scroll down to find the Q&A.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

If you look at the contact information on the link that I posted, there is a gentleman by the name of Tom listed. I would not be afraid to contact him, because he may have a demonstrator that could be sold to you at a lower price. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
        I would look at the Amazon Echo Plus. Amazon Prime members can pre-order now. The item will be released on October 31, 2017. Priced at $149, it should not break the bank!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RWFCHB...ods_fs_aucc_sr
        IIs there any way the Echo Plus could control the Comcast XFINITY one cable box?
        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

My Echo controls my cable box by using the Harmony hub remote. I can change the channel, adjust the volume, and pause, play & record by saying "Alexa, tell Harmony to...".

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ente...ds=harmony+hub

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
            IIs there any way the Echo Plus could control the Comcast XFINITY one cable box?
            I was able to get my Alexa coupled with the Harmony Hub to work with Cox cable but I am not sure if the Echo Plus will do the same with the Comcast cable box. Right now my advice would be to hold off on purchasing the Echo Plus. If you cannot wait then take a look at the Amazon Echo Dot for $50.
            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
            --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
            ––Paul Nussbaum
            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
              Amazon Echo is totally hands free... however if you have a mouth stylus, you could control a phone or tablet. I have a tablet that I can work with my homemade mouthstick stylus.
              If I used the Amazon Echo (hands-free), would that allow me to control my TV (power, volume, channels, Netflix, etc.)?

Comment

something that I use is a program on my computer that Works IR equipment is called IRcommand2 which you need to get a dongle like a USB-UIRT IR emitter. Will also need Dragon professional individual for voice controls, and then you can use the Amazon echo to control the lights, etc. between the boat that those they are totally configured easily.

And the annoying thing with Amazon Cuba is when watching TV is having to repeat "Amazon moved down" "Amazon moves right" "Amazon scroll right" etc. etc. they need to have a setting to be able to leave The microphone on It so you don't Have to be keep repeating, plus I found that the remote control is RF which I have Look into more of what dongle's will work with the IRcommand. I have found an IR receiver that does control the Cube with an IR remote.
                Last edited by crppled007; 3 May 2019, 5:08 PM.
                C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
                  I have a Harmony Hub in my living room. Using voice commands with the Amazon Echo in my living room I can turn the living room TV on, off or mute, as well as turning on my Roku player going to Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc. I can also turn on my AVR by voice, as well as my DVD player.
                  I was wondering if you knew whether or not the Echo Dot would also work with the Harmony Hub?

Comment

Echo Dot is no different than the other Echo's. They just have lower quality sound output. It will work as well as other Echo's.

Comment

Originally posted by tinern View Post
                      I was wondering if you knew whether or not the Echo Dot would also work with the Harmony Hub?
                      I'm struggling with setting up my equipment. I purchased a Harmony Hub and the Echo Dot. I have a Samsung Smart TV 43 inch nu 6900 series 2160p 4k and DirecTV
                      I want to access my Amazon Prime Video.
                      I purchased everything at Best Buy. I told the salesman I needed everything to be hands-free. He originally was directed to a Fire Stick. I would love any input. I very technology
                      challenged.

Comment

I've been having a problem getting my TV to turn via voice lately. As soon as I figure it out, I'll try to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                          I've been having a problem getting my TV to turn via voice lately. As soon as I figure it out, I'll try to help you out.
                          I contacted Harmony customer support, and they told me my television did not support any activity for Prime Video. So they want me to give them a step-by-step of the process, with my television remote. They are going to determine if they can create an activity to accomplish this. Fingers crossed!
                          Good luck with your troubleshooting. I appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                          X