Help with buying a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with buying a laptop

I haven't bought or researched computers (processor speeds etc) for around 4 years. I need a new laptop because the one I'm using isn't fast enough.
    My current processor is a 1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron B820.

I don't play computer games (aside from simple web-based games) but I want to multitask and use voice recognition. I don't want to spend more than $500 but want one that will do me another 4-5 years.

Any suggestions?

I found this laptop and wondered if its a good buy and would do everything I need?
    I'd appreciate any feedback...
    http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-e5-772-54pz-notebook

Comment

I have an Asis laptop and its great but a little more money than what you are talking about. The only issue is the battery went bad and had to be replaced after about a year.

Comment

I keep my laptop on my overbed table and plugged in, so battery duration isn't important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
          I found this laptop and wondered if its a good buy and would do everything I need?
          I'd appreciate any feedback...
          http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-e5-772-54pz-notebook
          It won't do 3D Google Earth as far as I can tell if you care.
          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I'd upgrade the the sdram from 8 to 16, depending on what's already in it, it should run you between $32 to 58 if you can get a friend to put it in for you (easy to do) or if ACER offers it with 16, it's worth going for, it'll improve the multitasking performance.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
              It won't do 3D Google Earth as far as I can tell if you care.
              I've never used 3D Google Earth, is it worth spending 100 or so bucks more?

Originally posted by Moongazr View Post
              I'd upgrade the the sdram from 8 to 16, depending on what's already in it, it should run you between $32 to 58 if you can get a friend to put it in for you (easy to do) or if ACER offers it with 16, it's worth going for, it'll improve the multitasking performance.
              I was planning on doing so... I usually max out the computers I use. I haven't bought that laptop yet, but will likely do so, soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                I've never used 3D Google Earth, is it worth spending 100 or so bucks more?
                3D google earth is not an essential. Google earth works in 2d and panorama on my old computer long enough for me to see what I need to know. But 3D on a fast new capable computer is fun and gives an amazing drone like perspective.
                Here are the mins that I now find: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/shv/G...tall_guide.pdf It is the graphics that I questioned about your prospect. When I upgraded the mins included "with direct X". I don't see that now. Maybe it's redundant, but that graphic card seems to be consistently required.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Have you upgraded to windows 10 yet via free upgrade?

If not, I would do that after running a backup. I did that on an old laptop that we thought was hopeless and was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance.

I then replaced the HDD with an inexpensive SSD for around $60 and it is so quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyy View Post
                    Have you upgraded to windows 10 yet via free upgrade?

If not, I would do that after running a backup. I did that on an old laptop that we thought was hopeless and was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance.

I then replaced the HDD with an inexpensive SSD for around $60 and it is so quick.
                    I've considered doing so... thanks, I might just try that.

Comment

Well, I installed Windows 10 and I noticed a significant startup and shutdown speed. However after I did so, I got a popup message telling me my hard-drive is damaged. I ran a few tests but couldn't find anything wrong, so I clicked the "stop notifications". Today I got a crash screen and I turned it off. After a few minutes, I turned it back on and it booted up. I backed up my files and I'm going to do a system backup tomorrow morning. Hopefully an inexpensive new hard-drive will allow me to continue using this laptop for a while longer. By the way, other than my HDD crashing after installation, I like Windows 10. I'm not sure if I like everything better compared to Windows 7, but it doesn't suck. Unless it caused my HDD crash...

Comment

I put a new hard-drive and everything is working okay. The startup and shutdown speeds are significantly faster but it still bogs down. I guess it'll do until I decide on a new laptop.

Weird thing though... since my Windows 10 install, my laptop seems to have better/louder sound.
                        Last edited by Scott C4/5; 1 May 2016, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Have been evaluating, recommending computer system since the early 80s. Unless you're looking for something very specific, just Go to Dell.

You can go to their refurbished and return site and save money there.

Get your specifications in order and just find the best price. Computer are just a bunch of parts and all computers use the same parts by the same manufacturer.

Dell just gets lower prices with economies of scale.

However if you want to go a different route is always a Macintosh.

Comment

I was mainly wondering about motherboard options. AMD vs Intel, and if Intel, I3 or I5. I need one that will multitask while running voice recognition without bogging down.
                            I'm pretty tech savvy but I'm not up on the new processors and their capabilities. Macs are out of my price range.

Comment

Intel i5 is the sweet spot IMHO. AMD has great value but bogs down with multimedia especially any transcoding. If you don't game the integrated gpu on Intel is fine and anything Skylake generation (aka sixth generation) will be stellar for battery and staying cool. The Dell XPS 13 is my favorite computer lust object now... Way cheaper than a Mac but a damn fine bit of kit.
                              T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X