upgrade to quad core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade to quad core?

right now i'm using an intel e8500 dual core on my asus p5q board. ebay has loads of Core 2 Quad Q6600 for cheap prices. would upgrading to the quad really help speed up my pc..
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

According to http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/705...uad_Q6600.html what you have should be good enough for most things.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

Thanks a lot Mr. russianboss. You saved me an unnecessary upgrade, plus time and money.
      Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
      Bob Seger

Comment

Some additional RAM may speed things up.
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Comment

Will help Unix or GNU systems which support POSIX fork(2). On Windows another core can be used for transition effects or could just turn display transition effects off. i.e. optimise display for performance.

I can't see how in normal Windows use more than 2 threads could be used.

Multiple threads per core keeps core well fed which works for POSIX systems.
          I.e. 4 cores 8 threads.
          http://zagam.net/

Comment

I bought a couple of these refurbished workstations off Ebay for around $100.00 each and they work great.

HP XW4600 Workstation Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz/4GB/160GB/FX1700 512MB/Windows 7 Premium
            ^^(A)^^

Comment

Hello,

yes, i think you should do that. Also remember that you computer is as fast as the slowest part, so you also need to upgrade RAM if you want to see greater efficiency.
              If you need any help with that, feel free to ask me via PM.

Have a nice day
              Dave
              Last edited by DavePL; 03-15-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

It really depends on what you're doing on your PC. The e8500 is actually faster than the Quad 6600 for single-threaded applications. I'd probably recommended you don't upgrade.

Edit: Slow pony! Just realised the thread was from last year. The recent reply fooled me

Comment

I have heard that a good way to speed up your pc is to add a solid state hard drive.

Comment

Another tip - You probably know anyways - Is most of us have tons of unnecessary services and applications running in the background. You can d/l a good start up utility from cnet download.com to permanently stop these from loading.

Anti Virus is another HUGE drain. I use to have Mcaffee but each update/upgrade slowed my pc to a crawl. I uninstalled it in favour of paid versions of Panda and Malware. Huge speed return.

Comment

I'll run the exact machine hat you are using, from the cost of the CPU, 8 GB of RAM, SSD drive that would be worth more to just get a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo from Tiger direct It's a dual core but a lot faster then the e8500 CPU
                      http://goo.gl/fDlWZy
                      C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

I installed a PNY 120GB SSD yesterday and I have to say at under $50 (deal of the day at Best Buy) it's the most significant performance boosting upgrade I have done for a long time. Super fast boot up, quick updates (once downloaded), fast loading of programs. So far I am impressed.

Comment

this is true. older ram are more expensive.
                          T3 Complete
                          to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crppled007 View Post
                            I'll run the exact machine hat you are using, from the cost of the CPU, 8 GB of RAM, SSD drive that would be worth more to just get a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo from Tiger direct It's a dual core but a lot faster then the e8500 CPU
                            http://goo.gl/fDlWZy
                            this is true. older ram are more expensive.
                            T3 Complete
                            to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X