Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's a good PC for graphics, layout software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're sticking with a laptop then building a system is much less realistic.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ has good bang for the buck.

For Creative Suite to keep up with you, you do need lots of RAM, and a fast chip won't hurt. An SSD (fast) disk would be great, with a regular HD (large) external disk. If you already have the software, I hope it will run well on a 64-bit Windows 7. If not then running it inside a 32-bit virtual machine is an option, although slower. Maybe go with the biggest laptop screen you can find, or attach a nice big external flat screen. After using my 17.5 inch CRT monitor for many years, my next monitor will be 21 inches.

Cloud computing depends too much on the Internet connection speed, which is frequently the slowest part of any system. Even with 15 MBPS FIOS cloud services from Google are not fast enough for me. And paying for that? No thanks, I can get encrypted cloud backup for free, and that does not need to be fast. Zoho cloud services are about as fast as local computing, but that's because my laptop is too slow.

Cleaning out Auto-starts and unnecessary services can go a long way toward prolonging the useful life of an older system. Unfortunately, the paid services to do this do not have the best reputation of unqualified success.
    Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.

Comment

Get on Staples rewards mailing list. From time to time they put out a $100 off coupon that's good even on sale prices. I just picked up the Lenovo H430 desktop for $379. It has 3GHz i5-3330, 8GB RAM, & 1TB drive. Extreme bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by MSspouse View Post
        Lenovo H430 for $379. 3GHz i5-3330, 8GB RAM, & 1TB drive.
        OMG, that is a sweet deal!
        Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.

Comment

if I were you, you didn't plant going to school, I would build my own. You have no idea how easy it is. I'm sure there is lots of video online on how to do it and I know there's lots of books. All you do is follow prompts, it's really easy. Here is a great site for the best prices, lots of customer and even videos, and even installing the operating system is relatively easy. The hard part about doing it is customizing your installation

http://www.newegg.com/
          C-5/6, 7-9-2000
          Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Working...
          X