No announcement yet.

wireless microphone for Dragon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am C5 C6 complete with weak wrist extensors and no feeling in any fingers including thumbs. Jabra makes high-quality products and this one is no exception, I find it easy to put on an off. It does have some controls on the headset but I prefer not to use them because of my lack of feeling so I either use the LCD display or computer. Having said that the volume control on the headset is fairly easy to use and if you can press the back of the speaker you can answer the phone. I have never been disappointed with Jabra headsets as I believe their quality is 2nd to none with excellent warranty. As I said previously I have the headset hooked up to the Jabra GN 1000 handset lifter for a conventional phone which is fantastic for my purposes. It's an expensive product with good noise cancellation but if you can afford I wouldn't hesitate.

Cheers
    Last edited by takenaback; 02-18-2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I'm a C5 complete as well, and find the headset very easy to put on/off, but the button on the back to answer calls is unusable for me. That's not a problem, because I answer using the Touch LCD or the touchscreen on my cell phone, but it would be more convenient if I could just press the side of the headset like I can with my Plantronics Bluetooth headset. That said, this is by far the most accurate/noise canceling microphone I've used and would highly recommend it.
      I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
      http://www.Quadomated.com/

Comment

The Jabra and Plantronics headset units mentioned earlier don't need a USB sound adapter, it is already built directly into the base station. All they need is to connect a USB cable from your computer to the base station.
        I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

Comment

I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer questions. It's been a number of years since I've taken a look at my Dragon set up. I get mediocre results now and Dragon always seems to cause me to have to reboot after three or four hours. I'm using Dragon version 9.5 with a dell q6600 quad processor, 2.40ghz and 3g ram. Windows XP w sp3.

My current microphone is a Sennheiser corded mic on a parallel arm stand. It's a good vocal microphone, but the Dragon audio quality tool has never given it more than a passing grade.

Got a figure out whether it's worth it to upgrade to the Dragon 12, Windows 8 and a new computer. Dragon 12 seems to have caught up with Gmail and Chrome, which are what I use. That cordless headset sounds like it may be worth it reinvesting.

Allan, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully you find this information helpful too

Comment

No problem, Wesley. Public threads are here for everyone to read and post in, IMO.

I ordered the Plantronics CS50 for $129.99 from Rakuten.com (spending more money I don't have.) When it and the Dragon arrive, I look forward to learning how to use them on the computer I barely know how to use. I know I can get help here. Any tips on what to do first, whether the microphone base needs to be plugged in a specific port (I have a motherboard with some usb 3.0 ports, running XP.)

I don't know if I'll be able to put the headset or ear piece on by myself.

BTW, the two links I posted were both the same item. I called Rakuten.com tech support, and they checked.
            Last edited by alan; 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM.
            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
              I plug the base into a USB powered hub. You can also plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. I have been using this headset since 2008. Accuracy is excellent. Plantronics customer service/tech support is excellent. This headset has accidentally dropped five or six times without sustaining any damage whatsoever. It's like that Timex watch, "it takes a licking but it keeps on ticking."

The Jabra Pro 9470 looks pretty slick.
              I have a powered hub, and the computer ports. Is one option better than the other?
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley View Post
                Got a figure out whether it's worth it to upgrade to the Dragon 12, Windows 8 and a new computer. Dragon 12 seems to have caught up with Gmail and Chrome, which are what I use. That cordless headset sounds like it may be worth it reinvesting.
                Definitely would suggest/say it’s worth it to upgrade to Dragon 12. There have been two rather complete and extensively rewrites of the software since version 9 resulting in significantly improved accuracy, less latency, and far less hangups. I can remember the days of Dragon 9.5/10 with the far too regular lockups/crashes of Microsoft Word/Outlook, having to reboot my computer multiple times per day, etc. Since installing version 12, can’t remember the last time my computer locked up.

I will say all is not perfect in the world of Dragon 12/Google Chrome and Gmail; there is still plenty of room to improve, but it is getting better. As a Google Chrome/Gmail user myself I still find myself going to Microsoft Outlook for my intense email sessions due to the better natural command integration.

Originally posted by alan View Post
                I have a powered hub, and the computer ports. Is one option better than the other?
                The computer port is always the best way to go if you can. Just one less thing in the chain of electronics that can fail or mess up the signal.
                Last edited by Chassmain; 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Turns out I bought the wrong thing. I bought the Plantronics CS50 Wireless Office System. The Firefox add-on Shoptimate showed me different prices for the same item elsewhere when I clicked on PN's link to the Amazon page. The lowest price was at Buy.com, so I clicked on that. As I've now discovered, it wasn't the same item, so I have to send it back, and order the right one. <sigh>
                  Alan

Comment

Alan, sorry for the snafu. The Amazon customer reviews in aggregate can be helpful when making a purchase. More than one customer is using the Plantronics CS50-USB Wireless Headset with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Lesson learned.
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                    ––Paul Nussbaum
                    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chassmain View Post
                      Definitely would suggest/say it’s worth it to upgrade to Dragon 12. There have been two rather complete and extensively rewrites of the software since version 9 resulting in significantly improved accuracy, less latency, and far less hangups. I can remember the days of Dragon 9.5/10 with the far too regular lockups/crashes of Microsoft Word/Outlook, having to reboot my computer multiple times per day, etc. Since installing version 12, can’t remember the last time my computer locked up.

I will say all is not perfect in the world of Dragon 12/Google Chrome and Gmail; there is still plenty of room to improve, but it is getting better. As a Google Chrome/Gmail user myself I still find myself going to Microsoft Outlook for my intense email sessions due to the better natural command integration.

The computer port is always the best way to go if you can. Just one less thing in the chain of electronics that can fail or mess up the signal.
                      I have to disagree with you. DMPE 11.0 (the most recent available version) should never have been released. It has been plagued with a 5+ second latency when using the spell/correction box that never occurred with prior versions. This is a well-known problem that has been discussed on KnowBrainer forums. Accuracy also is worse. Nuance has turned a deaf ear to complaints and has no plans to rectify this.

Comment

Well you are comparing apples and oranges without offence and I don't want to defend dragon too much because there has never been a version with out numerous faults. Granted DMPE 11 has received some horrible feedback with many practitioners reverting to the previous version. As you know it has been constant whilst reading the Knowbrainer forum. However as far as Dragon 12 goes I think it is an improvement, but not so much in accuracy, more so in speed for me. One of the sad things about Dragon 12 is that while using 3rd party utilities such as ShowNumbersPlus, Freesr, Knowbrainer, voice computer etc. There is horrible latency but this is only when using BestMatch V which unfortunately Dragon defaults to when you are setting it up. So I was a little slow in upgrading Dragon this time and even had a trial run, but things are quicker only because I am using a BestMatch IV profile. I really don't think I would be too disappointed if I was still stuck on dragon 10.1 as it was as fast as 12 but not quite as accurate. Anyway for your sake let's hope the next release of DMPE is at least somewhat of an improvement over the last release. It's a shame because you guys have to pay a fortune for that software and it makes my professional upgrade look insignificant.

Comment

Hi,

I have been using Ipod touch and Iphone 4 with the wireless mic app for Dragon, and have fond it to work flawlessly.

They may have an android app also.

Comment

Hello, I was just going to post this question but see this thread! What is the best wireless to use with a laptop? Do you use it bluetooth or plug something in to your USB? Thanks everyone!

P.S. I still use my vxi wireless at work all the time with a "zoom switch" to switch between phone and dragon and love it!

Comment

Okay, I purchased and installed the Dragon 12 (and updated it to 12.5), along with the Plantronics wireless microphone. I'm getting somewhere with web browsing, but I haven't managed to post any emails with Thunderbird. If someone using Dragon with Thunderbird successfully? How about with OpenOffice? Can I post to web boards using Dragon? Any advice and tips and other programs that can be used with Dragon are greatly appreciated as I try to learn how to do all this at my advanced age <grin>.

Thank you.
                              Alan

Comment

I use Dragon with OpenOffice (no issues) but not with Thunderbird.
                                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                                ––Paul Nussbaum
                                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X