No announcement yet.

Home Theater Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakey, could you explain how the XDA-2 would fit in my system and what it could do for me?

I take the audio out of my computer using a digital optical cable (if I’m just listening to music) or an HDMI cable (if I’m watching anything with video) directly to my UMC-1 surround sound processor. From there, I have 7 RCA cables going to my amplifier for the respective channels, and one XLR cable feeding my subwoofer amplifier. Trying to wrap around how I’d integrate an XDA-2 into that makes.

Thanks for pointing me toward their new stealth monitors… didn’t realize they had stepped it up to the size/SBL capacity… could be a pretty good set up for my garage?
    I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad
    http://www.Quadomated.com/

Comment

Plug the digital optical cable into the XDA-2 and use RCA from XDA-2 to the stereo RCA inputs on the UMC-1. That takes the internal DAC in the UMC out of the equation. If the UMC has digital outs you could use those to connect then balanced cable from the XDA to your amp.

The owners manual for the XDA is pretty sparse in explanation, and i have no idea what option the UMC can provide. Call them for your best option. Ideally you'll be using the XDA as a stereo pre with balanced connection to your amp, and your UMC would be a 5 channel processor for movies.

I'm thinking abt adding 3 of the powered monitors and a surround processor down the road, but we had a near perfect storm of unexpected expenses last fall, and I need to pay those off first.
      Last edited by shakey56; 16 Jan 2013, 3:30 PM.

Comment

Well I got the XDA-2, but the XPA-200 is on back order. Decided not wait and setup the XDA-2 as pre amp and MF as amp. Within 30 min I lost left channel on the amp. Didn't even get a chance to listen to much. Was checking various sources when it died. All I can do now is give my impression of the headphone - DAC. Can't compare since the MF Didn't have a phone out. I use Grado SR-60i , a surprisingly good budget set. I'm hearing a very detailed yet smooth almost liquid quality. No top end harshness with nice extension. Mids are neutral, and bass is fast. Impossible to tell which sonic signature I'm hearing. Could be DAC, HP amp, phones, or a combo and I haven't listened to much yet.

Amp will ship 2/15, and I'll update when I get it.

Comment

I made a phone call to Emotiva about the differences between the XDA-2 and my UMC-1 handling the incoming optical TOSLINK line. Didn’t seem like the difference would be appreciable enough considering my relatively average listening conditions (lots of hard floors/walls/glass) and the different, but decently good quality DAC built right into the UMC-1. Might as well spend money on what will make the most difference, and for right now that’s paying off my new Braun van ;-)
          I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about Life and Technology through the Eyes of a Quad

Comment

I too called to explore options for surround systems. Talked to a guy who has been selling audio for decades. We connected on many memories like speaker manufacturers being pissed at Lucas for having to dial back their speakers to get a THX certification when it 1st came out.

After abt 45 minutes of exploring options and sharing histories I narrowed it down to two options. Improve my 2 channel system or add the UMC-200, the XPA-3 to drive the fronts and center, and their center and monitors for surround. We were talking $1800 without even mentioning the cost of wiring the house. When I mentioned having to wait to audition the XDA-2 since I lost a channel on my amp and the XPA-200 won't ship til 2/15 he offered me a deal on a pair of the XPA-100 mono blocks. At the price he offered for the pair I can do a nice upgrade on my stereo for 2/3 of what I was planning on spending to replace my integrated amp and this combo should be much better than anything I can find in an integrated for 1/3 more. The amps ship on Monday. I'll soon find out how good this stuff is.

Comment

Uh oh... Sounds like they've got you hooked! :-)

I've been super impressed every time I've called up Emotiva to discuss their products. Not like most companies where they put you on the phone with somebody who doesn't have a clue about the product... They actually get you talking to the engineers/technicians and I've always left feeling more confident and ready to spend my money. Now waiting myself on the XMC-1 to spur the upgrade of my home theater processor and potentially a set of monoblocks for my front channels. Still can't decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on a couple XPA-1s or save my dollars and just be happy with what I've got.

Will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I think you'll like in a big way!

Comment

Not hooked yet, but I very well could be soon.

Comment

So a buddy hooked up the mono blocks for me today. In an earlier thread I said I'd be grinning if the stereo amp was better than what I had. Well the pair of XPA-100 amps driving my speakers through the XDA-2 pre/DAC has me smiling from ear to ear!

Everything is greatly improved! The big sound stage I had before is now huge! The room is a great room abt 30 x 20 with 12' ceiling and the sound stage use to extend a few feet beyond my speakers, but it is now wall to wall. The bass which was impressive before, i have the equivalent of two 18' subs, is amazing now! It's deeper, more articulate and faster. Mids at least as good. Linda ronstadt plays Tucson often since it is her home town. In my 32 years living there I was able to catch her in a variety of venues from rehearsing Tumbling Dice with the Stones in a large arena to unamplified in a nearly perfect acoustic environment. I know her voice very well, and this is the best I've heard her voice reproduced. Much better than I had. Treble depends on the recording more. On a quality recording it is as impressive as the bass.

Considering I only spent $1,000 the improvement is jaw dropping! My system now ranks up with some of the best I've heard. No, it doesn't rival the mega buck system I mentioned earlier, but the difference in sound quality is a very small fraction of the difference in price.
                  Last edited by shakey56; 4 Feb 2013, 7:21 AM.

Comment

Many thanks to Chass. Great tip!

They have me hook line and sinker!

Comment

AWESOME! Glad to hear it!

To be completely honest I'm not all that surprised. They just make dang good stuff for a very reasonable price! Can't understand why anyone would spend the multi-multi-thousands of dollars on the big names when you can get the same performance for so much less!

Comment

Chass, I've been checking out your website. I love the casement window motor. As well as the heat pump write up. Solar was one of my hobbies as well. Lots of reading to keep me busy... thanks!

Comment

Very cool! Glad you’re enjoying it! Which reminds me… time to get busy and write an update about the heat pump. Please send me suggestions of anything you think I should write about!

Great to have a reader from across the US! Only been to Vancouver once, during a quick flight in to work on a ski lift at Whistler. Couldn’t get over how beautiful and forward thinking the city was.

Comment

Now that the amps are pretty well broken in the system is sounding even better. Next step is some of these http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prod...number=TNHFSET to isolate the 2 1/4" maple butcher block platforms I have the amps on, then these http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prod...p?number=TPSET between the amps and the platforms. Will try some mapleshade cables, if this other stuff lives up to the hype.

Comment

See I'm the opposite, I'm on a low budget. And my computer geek skills of given way to other interests. If I took this list to a buddy who builds computers, what what I expect to spend on hardware and software?

Comment

Hey Van Quad,

Guess it all matters what you’re after. If all you want is a Home Theater PC that can play the whole array of content, interface with Windows Media Center, etc. then you can spec the computer back significantly to something that uses a cheaper/lower powered Intel Core i3 processor. For something like that, I’d say you’re somewhere in the $500 ballpark for hardware/software. If some gaming, photo/video editing or heavy voice recognition capabilities is necessary than I’d step up to the Intel Core i5 processor and you’d be more in the $600-$700 range.

If you’re interested in something post your needs and I’ll try to suggest the hardware/software specs that would meet them at the best possible price using online sources.

Comment

Working...
                                X