Best Voice Recognition Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Voice Recognition Software

I need to have this kind of software installed ...any tips? Preferences? Freebies???LOL I am not proud and you never know who is looking...I have to have this technology to complete an important project.

Thanks.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Ahoy-Hoy, Mary!

Windows 7 and Windows Vista comes with built in speech recognition (freebie). Otherwise, the only game in town is Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Mary, I have to agree with PN: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the best voice recognition software, hands down. I'm an attorney and I rely exclusively on DNS 11.5 professional legal on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The preferred version sells for about $100 and performs about the same as the professional version. You do not need to pay the extra $500 for the professional version if extra features like a specialized legal or medical vocabulary and the ability to program your own voice commands isn't something you absolutely need.
      Good luck!
      -Josh

Comment

Thank you both! I am also thinking about changing computer technology. Maybe to Mac. Lyme does funky things to a body. My brain moves faster than my fingers can, and there is this blasted brace now..when I wear it..heh heh....Can I use that Dragon with Mac Book or Ipad?

PN, regardless of the advancement of my technological abilities, I still make it a habit of kicking my printer...
        1FineSpineRN

Comment

I tried using Dragon for Mac many years ago. Total fail. I think you may find this person's recent experience somewhat helpful. http://www.salon.com/2012/02/15/when...ility_to_type/

Comment

Originally posted by eulogy96 View Post
            Mary, I have to agree with PN: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the best voice recognition software, hands down. I'm an attorney and I rely exclusively on DNS 11.5 professional legal on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The preferred version sells for about $100 and performs about the same as the professional version. You do not need to pay the extra $500 for the professional version if extra features like a specialized legal or medical vocabulary and the ability to program your own voice commands isn't something you absolutely need.
            Good luck!
            -Josh
            Ditto on this. I was thinking of 11.5 pro (I run a site for attorneys and deal with many legal terms) and glad I found someone to validate my potential desire.

I got the one up from the bottom tier - the second tier. It works better than I thought. The microphone that comes with it looks nice but is medicore. Get a good USB based microphone and you'll be happy and in business. Good luck.

Comment

Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word "Dragon" on its own so you have to say the whole phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on me at least daily, and technical support is disgustingly useless. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forget what it was I tried to say before it got mangled. I have no more vitriol for anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of a van seatbelt was an extraneous expense. I would support awarding the Nobel to anyone who can design a better program.

This unedited (and I have pretty good diction):

Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word drive and on some sleep up to single phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on the at least daily, and technical support is disgusting these. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forgot what it was. I tried to say before, manual. I have no mortgage. All were anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of the Van she felt was an extraneous expense. I would support wording the Novell to anyone who can design a better program.

And editing takes a finger or at least another hour filled with countless occasions of "spell that" and "delete 'him.'"

And rumor has it that the Mac version is even worse.

Comment

i happened to see Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.0 for $31.99 on amazon.com while looking for other things. 11.5 is the newest version. That price is tempting.

What kind of microphone do you use, Random? I'm sure my standard gooseneck mic wouldn't be good enough, considering background noise here.
                Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

@Adam-I use NaturallySpeaking 11.5 and find it to be very user-friendly. I'm an RN and it seems to pick up my vocabulary very well. Even without having the medical version. I also live by a four-lane highway and my computer is right beside a window. I use a desktop Buddy Desktop Mic 7G without too much interference.

Comment

This is why I still use the old, obsolete DragonDictate. It's discrete speech, so you have to talk a bit like a robot, but so much more accurate than continuous speech like NaturallySpeaking. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the newer versions of Windows, so I'm still using XP and keep a backup computer at the ready! I did hear that DragonDictate is included in the Professional versions of NaturallySpeaking, but I'm not sure if it's the fully usable version or just there for the scripting features.

I hope that something better comes along. Why can't they offer a discrete speech product again?
                    NYC Disability Forum (@DisabledNYC on Twitter)

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                      ...What kind of microphone do you use, Random? I'm sure my standard gooseneck mic wouldn't be good enough, considering background noise here.
                      I use the Yetti freestanding that someone – maybe Scott – recommended. But there is very little background noise in my house to blame for the problems, and I previously used a very good wired headset with no better results.

Comment

i have dragon v11 with the 11.5 update. costs $12 for 2 cheap microphones i purchased off ebay. program is excellent. the first time i tried dragon was years ago and was probably v4-6. terrible. room had to be totally silent. and basically a waste of time.
                        went to my doctor 3 months ago an noticed all the patient rooms had computers and wired headsets hanging on wall. everyone in office waiting to see doctor was complaining how much an ass the doctor was and usual blah, blah, blah. when i was called in the nurse asked me not to speak when dr came in unless he asked me a question. so after about 30 minutes he comes in puts the headset on and starts dictating my chart. then he asked a few questions and started dictating again. i started to ask him about the software and the nurse abrubtly jumped in and said SILENCE! he quickly said it was ok and we had about a 15 minute chat and a demo off Naturally Speaking 11. he was using it on xp.
                        when i got home immediately downloaded it to a sony vio laptop i3 windows 7 and a very poor microphone. THIS is PIRATE software (GuidoZ version) so followed instructions and program loaded great. i had niece and nephew coming in and out plus tv going in the room plus tv in adjacent room. mic is on top/lid of laptop. even with all this i had decent recognition. plus the more you talk the more it learns. i also downloaded it to my hp dc7100 desktop pentium4 running xp. bought a 2 for 1 package deal $12 boom mic off ebay. this program works super. i am laid up now nursing a small sore. when recup i'm going to spend some time learng dragon 11.5. donnie - software thief
                        Last edited by rollin' man; 24 Jul 2012, 5:55 PM.

Comment

I just got notification this morning of a new version 12, $99. They owe me for the waste of the equivalent of weeks of my life, and I'm going to demand that they give it to me for free. Dish me luck.

To clarify – $99 is the upgrade cost. It's more if you're starting from scratch.
                          Last edited by Random; 27 Jul 2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Make sure you have the h/w required. Quad 4 and 2GB with a quality mic is essential.

Comment

I feel inspired tonight to note that the thing does not even have the sense to register corrective urgings when offered. All sorts of things tend to happen if I forget to turn the microphone off before I get weak and let the fury get to me.

Tonight's translation:
                              you mother Fokker

Although I will note in all seriousness that learning how so many here suffer pain beyond my comprehension has prompted me to contain my explosive moments of venting and center myself in true appreciation of how lucky I am. The new exclamation I try to stick to is "I don't have central pain."

Comment

Working...
                              X