No announcement yet.

My computer won't move!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mona, if this has happened suddenly (the slow down) and you can pinpoint when, try doing a system restore to a date previous to that.

this link will explain how if you don't remember, but I think you have done it before one time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
      ALOT OF THIS IS OVER MY HEAD but,,,,,,,,,,

The only thing I knew that I took off start up is my printer.
      Should I left it on start up?

How about this?

IgfxTray (igfxtray.exe)

This page expands upon the information already available for this entry in the Pacman's Portal Windows start-up programs database.
      User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary
      For further information on how to identify and disable startup programs please visit the Introduction page.
      Description:

System Tray access to display settings for Intel desktop and mobile motherboard chipsets with integrated graphics. With this enabled, you can access settings like graphics properties and hot key settings via the icon on the System Tray. Different chipset versions may have different options available. These options are normally also available via the system Control Panel - under Display (XP) or Personalization and Appearance (Vista)
      Think of it this way - how many lights do you want to be on the first switch you flip when you enter the house? True, if you decide you want to go in a room, then it's convenient to have it already lit up. But if you don't need anything in that room, you're paying an energy cost with no return.

Same is true with your computer. There's a lot of stuff that you don't need to have running "just in case" you might want to use it. Having it running in the background slows down your computer. So it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. How much do you mind having to wait for a program to open when you want to use it? How much does it slow your computer down having it ready to use all the time?

Turning things off in your Startup or Disabling them in Tools>Add-ons can be easily reversed. Deleting them from your hard drive means that you would have to reinstall them. That's not too bad most of the time. But use caution when deleting. Truthfully, unless someone has had a specific reason to learn what some of this stuff does, they are as in the dark as you feel. Google is your ally. Try to use sites that aren't selling stuff or asking you to download anything that will "fix" your computer.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423 View Post
        Mona, if this has happened suddenly (the slow down) and you can pinpoint when, try doing a system restore to a date previous to that.

this link will explain how if you don't remember, but I think you have done it before one time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
        Yes I have! lol! I keep messing up.

If it takes everything back to that point it's too late.
        That was like 3 wks & I've done alot of documents & photo work I don't want to loose.

But thanks for reminding me sjean.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
          Think of it this way - how many lights do you want to be on the first switch you flip when you enter the house? True, if you decide you want to go in a room, then it's convenient to have it already lit up. But if you don't need anything in that room, you're paying an energy cost with no return.

Same is true with your computer. There's a lot of stuff that you don't need to have running "just in case" you might want to use it. Having it running in the background slows down your computer. So it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. How much do you mind having to wait for a program to open when you want to use it? How much does it slow your computer down having it ready to use all the time?

Turning things off in your Startup or Disabling them in Tools>Add-ons can be easily reversed. Deleting them from your hard drive means that you would have to reinstall them. That's not too bad most of the time. But use caution when deleting. Truthfully, unless someone has had a specific reason to learn what some of this stuff does, they are as in the dark as you feel. Google is your ally. Try to use sites that aren't selling stuff or asking you to download anything that will "fix" your computer.

Great analogy! My problem is I don't understand what they're saying when I google.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes I have! lol! I keep messing up.

If it takes everything back to that point it's too late.
            That was like 3 wks & I've done alot of documents & photo work I don't want to loose.

But thanks for reminding me sjean.
            System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password. Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last specified password are saved when you revert to an earlier state with System Restore.

System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder.
            http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
            Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Great analogy! My problem is I don't understand what they're saying when I google.
              What it sometimes comes down to is you take an educated guess and fix it if you guess wrong. Or you can post to a bunch of user forums and hope that you get the correct answer from one of them.

Could you try to explain again what your computer is doing or not doing that has become a problem? Is it slow internet browsing? Slow startup? Locking up frequently? You mentioned something new on your desktop? Did you google that thing? Any programs that you downloaded from the internet can be removed, since you can easily install them again if you miss them. Again, there's not a whole lot (relatively speaking) that you need to perform general tasks like browsing the internet or email messaging, creating documents, pictures, printing, etc.

All the "extra" programs that provide widgets, bells and whistles usually communicate with their creators and send information about how you use your computer. That slows things down. Suspect EVERY add-on toolbar.
              Foolish

Comment

System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password. Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last specified password are saved when you revert to an earlier state with System Restore.

System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder.
                http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Everything I'm concerned about is already in my document folders.

Okay I disabled the items I didn't want on start up & rebooted.
                Opening up was alot faster. YEAH!
                But I got a message from system configuration utility.
                I need to ck one of these:

Normal startup (loads up all drivers)
                Diagnostic startup (loads up basic drivers)
                Selective startup (you ck the ones you want)
                sigpic

Comment

Everything I'm concerned about is already in my document folders.

Okay I disabled the items I didn't want on start up & rebooted.
                  Opening up was alot faster. YEAH!
                  But I got a message from system configuration utility.
                  I need to ck one of these:

Normal startup (loads up all drivers)
                  Diagnostic startup (loads up basic drivers)
                  Selective startup (you ck the ones you want)
                  I would select normal, but any of them will work. They do exactly what they say. It's not a permanent choice, you can change it.
                  Foolish

Comment

I would select normal, but any of them will work. They do exactly what they say. It's not a permanent choice, you can change it.

Okay thank you I'll ck normal.

It's running 100% better. Not sure what I'd do without ya'll!

THANKS!!! MONA
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay thank you I'll ck normal.

It's running 100% better. Not sure what I'd do without ya'll!

THANKS!!! MONA
                      Foolish

Comment

Thanks for helping me.
                        But I'm confused adaware gets rid of my spyware.
                        Avg is my antivirus program.
                        Noads stops pops ups!

So why them?
                        Having all three will really slow down your system. If you replace it with one (security_essentals from microsoft) your machine will be protected and you machine will be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                          Having all three will really slow down your system. If you replace it with one (security_essentals from microsoft) your machine will be protected and you machine will be faster.
                          Oh I didn't understand that security essential was a replacement.
                          Okay I'll ck er out! THANKS!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post

Okay I read about it. Is it as good or better than AVG & ADAWARE?
                            Do you use it?
                            sigpic

Comment

I use it. It's from Microsoft, so I figure they know their OS better than anyone. It's seamless and you don't even notice it's running. It's better than both of those imo.
                              Okay I read about it. Is it as good or better than AVG & ADAWARE?
                              Do you use it?
                              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                                I use it. It's from Microsoft, so I figure they know their OS better than anyone. It's seamless and you don't even notice it's running. It's better than both of those imo.

GREAT! I'll switch then! THANK YOU Bob (right)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X