Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky Keys - Spilled drink on laptop keyboard - UGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Keys - Spilled drink on laptop keyboard - UGH!

I know there must be at least one thread about this, but I couldn't find it, even with the Advanced Search - kept getting the "no matches" response.

In a klutz moment I spilled about half a mug of warm tea - with lemon & honey of course - onto my laptop keyboard. and more The spacebar row of keys and the two rows above it are the most affected. VERY sticky, especially once the computer is warmed up.

I sprayed CRC Electrical Parts Cleaner between and under the keys several times - really gave it several good sprays each time and let it drain out and then dry - but this really hasn't helped.

Anyone know a better product or method? I don't have the dexterity to pry off, clean and re-position the affected keys as I've read can be done.

THANKS for the help.

--Jonna
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

I've done that before and the only solution is to find someone who can take the keyboard off and clean it out. Sorry to hear!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
      I've done that before and the only solution is to find someone who can take the keyboard off and clean it out. Sorry to hear!
      I was afraid of that. *sigh* Thanks for your reply and help. I'll stop by Staples and Best Buy and see it they can pry off the keys and un-stick me.

Comment

Originally posted by citrus
        if you are brave enough, and your keyboard is not too complex. You can open it by easily unscrewing it from the back, when u open it, it will have a board and some contacts that get pressed when you touch press they keys on the keyboard. just carefully put that away and then once there are no circuits on the plastic that makes up the keyboard part, you can rinse it on hot water and let it dry for a while. It also works if you put it on the dish washer. MAke sure there are no circuits on it. Good luck
        Thank you Citrus! This seems easier than prying all the keys off individually. I'll be extra careful about getting the circuits out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonna View Post
          I was afraid of that. *sigh* Thanks for your reply and help. I'll stop by Staples and Best Buy and see it they can pry off the keys and un-stick me.
          They make very thin silicone skins that fit over keyboards. It won't help for this spill, but it might save you next time.

Comment

keyboards are as cheap as 10.00 or so.......probably not worth the hassle in trying to salvage yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ryano View Post
              keyboards are as cheap as 10.00 or so.......probably not worth the hassle in trying to salvage yours.
              It's a laptop keyboard - must salvage or scrap the whole computer. (Or plug in a new keyboard via a UBS port - ?? Awkward to manage but I wonder if this would work . . .).

Comment

Originally posted by Jonna View Post
                It's a laptop keyboard -

oops I missed that part! good luck! your idea of hooking up a USB keyboard will work!

Comment

Unhook the battery or power

Remove the keyboard
                  I used distilled water and rinse the keyboard with the water Using a camel hair paint brush helps cleaning the gook sticky stuff out then I blow dry the keyboard

maybe repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times and then air dry the keyboard

Hook it up and then install your laptop battery and give it a try
                  99% time this works
                  My friend Julie she spilled sticky red wine on hers and I fixed her computer this way

good luck
                  Sincerely ;
                  GL

Comment

Originally posted by GL View Post
                    Unhook the battery or power

Remove the keyboard
                    I used distilled water and rinse the keyboard with the water Using a camel hair paint brush helps cleaning the gook sticky stuff out then I blow dry the keyboard

maybe repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times and then air dry the keyboard

Hook it up and then install your laptop battery and give it a try
                    99% time this works
                    My friend Julie she spilled sticky red wine on hers and I fixed her computer this way

good luck
                    Sincerely ;
                    GL
                    Thank you G Lady.

Comment

Laptop keyboards are pretty easy to remove/replace. Unplug, remove battery and ground yourself to remove static (static is brutal to puters). Then, usually you'll just need to remove the power panel (the plastic strip above the keyboard - or at the base of the LCD). Once removed there will usually be four screws holding the top of the keyboard down (I say usually but all the 15" and 17" I've done (25 or so) have had four screws, a netbook the only exception). Remove those and carefully tilt up the keyboard to disconnect the ribbon cable. Reverse to reinstall. That's it. Clean as GL suggested, though I'd prefer simple air drying. And if it can't be cleaned and needs replacing a laptop keyboard can be bought for $15-$20 on ebay (yes, new depending on model).

Just google your laptop model with remove keyboard and you'll find plenty of turorials. You can search youtube as well, you'll find tutorials there too. And check ebay for a keyboard before you get started, just in case you need one.

Comment

Thanks tumbleweeds. I appreciate the step-by step instructions - sounds like I can manage it.

Originally posted by tumbleweeds View Post
                        Laptop keyboards are pretty easy to remove/replace. Unplug, remove battery and ground yourself to remove static (static is brutal to puters). Then, usually you'll just need to remove the power panel (the plastic strip above the keyboard - or at the base of the LCD). Once removed there will usually be four screws holding the top of the keyboard down (I say usually but all the 15" and 17" I've done (25 or so) have had four screws, a netbook the only exception). Remove those and carefully tilt up the keyboard to disconnect the ribbon cable. Reverse to reinstall. That's it. Clean as GL suggested, though I'd prefer simple air drying. And if it can't be cleaned and needs replacing a laptop keyboard can be bought for $15-$20 on ebay (yes, new depending on model).

Just google your laptop model with remove keyboard and you'll find plenty of turorials. You can search youtube as well, you'll find tutorials there too. And check ebay for a keyboard before you get started, just in case you need one.

Comment

Hi Jonna
                          How are you doing ?

I want to share one more idea

Online computer parts stores sell bottled compressed air I keep a can by my desk to blow off the keys
                          Hope everything is working out let me know pm me etc...
                          Sincerely ;GL

Comment

Working...
                          X