Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
    Nicole,

You are paying a lot of money for that form factor and the touch screen. I am not that big a fan of touch screen (windows doesn't do it well iMOP) would get a standard tower and splurge on a really nice monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883155176
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824146037

These two combined are about 100 bucks more and much higher quality.

Tom
    but I'd have to buy a webcam and speakers too [I saw no mention of speakers]? Are towers at least smaller than my 4 year old one that takes up too much room on my desk? That monitor does look nice, I dont know the brand but you are the computer expert!

chess your laptop looks good it's tempting. I have a feeling the laptop would stay plugged in most of the time if I get an ipad. rjc I meant I couldnt plug it and unplug at my desk that's up against the wall.

Timaru how is the sound? My current monitor has built in speakers and they sound terrible but my mom's built in ones are crystal clear.

Mac fans, I just dont think I'm ready/ want to make the change from windows.

Texas arent there different types of wireless routers? I noticed one of the computers I looked at says wireless card is an N. But if the other computer in my house has a a/b/g or something is that an issue or no?

ty peeps
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

You should be able to get absolutely loads with 2,000 dollars!

For a super basic computer that can internet browse (which is all of them nowadays) you shouldn't have to pay more than 300-400 dollars maximum. That would still be a pretty good computer though, are you looking for the screen or just the computer tower?

You should get one of those 22 inch high def screens! They're big without being too big and incredible to look at.

I wish I had 2,000 bucks lol.
      Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

Comment

misunderstood NO laptop. This desktop would be a buy at 100 bux cheaper: HP TouchSmart 610-1030f All-In-One Desktop Computer With Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor & 23" Touch-Screen LED-Backlit Monitor $900 http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-1030f-All-In/
        There's
        No
        Place

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
          but I'd have to buy a webcam and speakers too [I saw no mention of speakers]? Are towers at least smaller than my 4 year old one that takes up too much room on my desk? That monitor does look nice, I dont know the brand but you are the computer expert!

chess your laptop looks good it's tempting. I have a feeling the laptop would stay plugged in most of the time if I get an ipad. rjc I meant I couldnt plug it and unplug at my desk that's up against the wall.

Timaru how is the sound? My current monitor has built in speakers and they sound terrible but my mom's built in ones are crystal clear.

Mac fans, I just dont think I'm ready/ want to make the change from windows.

Texas arent there different types of wireless routers? I noticed one of the computers I looked at says wireless card is an N. But if the other computer in my house has a a/b/g or something is that an issue or no?

ty peeps
          Hi Lesch,

It's very difficult to select a computer for someone else. But I can make a few suggestions.

Backlit or illuminated keyboards are really nice. I have a Saitek Cyborg illuminated gaming keyboard and love it. You can type in no or low light. Here are 2 of them- 1 wireless ($89) and 1 wired ($69). They are expensive but you get what you pay for. For the higher price because of the illumination you also get a keyboard that has a good solid feel to it. The wireless one will probably eat batteries like crazy.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ed%20Keyboards top 2 keyboards- 1 wireless 1 wired

Don't get a monitor with built-in speakers. They sound terrible. You can pick up decent sounding computer speakers for cheap. Here are a few 2.1 speakers (the .1 is the subwoofer for your bass lows) in the $30 - $100 range. You can spend up to $500 for a good setup or even $1000 but that's getting a bit ridiculous for computer speakers. Find a pair and then look on the internet for reviews. Amazon and Newegg are good places to look for computers and accessories and good private reviews. Tiger Direct has reviews too... I think. I don't have a webcam for my desktop. My laptop has one built-in. So maybe someone can recommend one to you. I think I just heard that they came out with HD (high-def) webcams. With one of those everyone can see if you have any nose hairs that need trimming!! :-)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=2893 <2.1 speakers

Don't buy a Touch-Screen monitor. I think it would be difficult for a quad to reach all the way to a monitor's screen anyway. The keyboard is a lot closer. Plus you get fingerprints all over the screen. If anyone puts a finger on my monitor I'll chop it off. Point but don't touch! Here's a nice size monitor. I have a 24 inch Samsung but for what I paid for the extra 2 inches (a couple years ago they were a lot more) I wouldn't do it again. 22 inch seems to be the sweet spot for a desktop monitor... of course IMHO!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...026&CatId=2775 Samsung B2230 22" Class 1920X1080 LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 70000:1 Dynamic, VGA, DVI ** No HDMI

And get a mouse or trackball of your liking. I have both a wired and a wireless mouse (Microsoft brand) and like them both. For some reason I like MS' mice. I used to play a lot of e-golf and you need a good mouse for that and found that the mouse buttons are very accurate on them. Things are constantly changing so who really knows.

Just a few more things. You want to get at least 4GBs of RAM/memory. I see there's a lot of DDR3 memory out now. It was really expensive just a year ago so I guess the prices are coming down because it's very common now.

Get a 500GB hard drive if you don't already have a set size in mind. That should be plenty of space. I see quite a few computers with 1TB (tera-byte) HDs and that's an awful lot of space for the average user.

Well that's my input. Hopefully someone else can use what I suggested and "build" you a complete computer package.

Oh, "N" is the latest version in routers. And it's backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about it.

Second "Oh". Make sure you get at least a dual core processor in your computer. A quad core is even a bit better (I have an Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 in my desktop... it's getting old now) for going into the future. And get a computer that has at least 1 PCI-E slot in it so you can upgrade your video/graphics card in the future. Don't get a computer that only has video on the mainboard unless you really need to keep the cost down.

Take care,

Bob.
          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

The sound's fine Les, easily as good as my sister's newer 24" iMac.

Comment

Comment

I found that once I got an iPad, I was hooked on Apple products. Consider the iMac and an Airport Extreme router for WiFi (mostly for the iPad), which works great with Comcast. These Apple products are just so reliable. I bought Window for iMac as a crutch but don't use it. The router let's me go wireless with the comport and printer so my work area is clean. $2000 should about cover it brand new. Not sure about refurbished.
                2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

thanks people. I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to 2. I do want an all in one and thanks to further lobbying by my bro am considering the 'basic' 21.5 imac or the hp 610 1065qd because it's the top rated all in one and it's $300. off with great upgrades plus I could hook up a cable box to it to watch tv. I just need to research th graphic card options on the hp to see how they measure up against the imac's amd radeon hd 6750m. I tried out the hp 610 1030f and liked the touch screen, I think I would use it much. The imac is sleeker tho. oh decisions decisions!

Comment

Les, I'm a big fan of the Macs and have the 21.5" iMac with 8g RAM for graphics/art (will eventually max it out at 12). The iMac is certainly very sleek and very cool looking, and the operating system beats Windows (but I understand Windows 7 is a good OS).

I say all that to tell you, buy based on how the computer suits your needs best. The HP may very well be the way to go. But have you used your brother's Mac at all? You should see how you like it. And you don't want to buy the iMac and then be pissed because it's so foreign to you (though, it is very user-friendly and not a huge adjustment for a Windows user).

I really like the new 21.5" iMac compared to my 4+ year-old 20" iMac (gave that to my Dad--he loves it). And I do like the changes/improvements in Lion... I'd love a 27" iMac, but can't justify the cost.

Comment

Good Luck

Finding the right computer is personal

A good laptop is nice for it's portability and touch pads etc... I find them so handy especially traveling hotels , hospitals .

I own and use all types of machines but 99% time I will be noodling on a laptop so like I said it is a very personal choice .

Leshinsky I wish you the best

Sincerely GL

Comment

That HP Touchsmart is plenty powerful, looks good on a desk, and competes very well dollar for dollar. Honestly, you would be hard pressed to find a middle-of-the-road solution that looked that good. The Apple mini equivalent will cost you more and chances are you will have to learn new software.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have used my mom's macs Scorp, and didnt like not knowing how to do everything but I can remdy that by getting a good manual. I probably would get it with windows 7 tho as swh reminded me i can do, unless it costs much more.

I checked consumer reports this weekend, which gave a hp touchsmart with the same specs as the 1065 a 78 rating, and the basic imac only a 69. It gave both an excellent performance rating and very good bright display rating [tho it said something about great colors on the imac]. where they differ was while the imac had very good speakers the hp had good ones, and the hp had more feaures like blue ray writing, hdmi ports and tv tuner.

I'm gonna have to decide if I'll use the extra features enough to make up for the slightly better speakers and possibly display, and the durability of the imac. or i could flip a coin

Comment

What did you end up getting, Nicole?
                            Daniel

Comment

due to my procrastination skillz I havent yet, but I started to order the hp last nite but my computer crashed a few times *sigh* so I will definitely do it tonite! The deciding factor was hp keeping it's pc division. I hope it's worth the wait! I just have to decide on the graphic card.

Comment

The deciding factor was hp keeping it's pc division.
                                Meg Whitman to the rescue for not spinning off the PC division. Good luck with your HP computer.
                                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                                ––Paul Nussbaum
                                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X