Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding O/S

Around this forum
    What are your operating systems , Platforms ?

My mom she uses Win 7

Currently I use Vista Business or Win XP corp

Have a good Day

GL

mircosoft - xp was steady, vista never caught on, windows 7 seems reliable also

linux - unbuntu works good
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

I like Trying out diff O/S when I can

It is fun

Comment

two machines running win7
        one running vista
        one running windows server 2008
        one running centos 5.6
        one running xp (ancient laptop)

I've also played with openSuse and ubuntu..the linux flavours are pretty much the same for me because I use the KDE interface on them.
        ---------
        C5-6 / '88

Comment

I have a few machines:

Mac Mini with Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. Haven't upgraded to 10.7 yet.
          HP Envy 14 laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate
          HP EliteBook 2730p laptop/tablet with Windows 7 Professional N edition

If anyone is running Vista, get upgraded to Win 7 as soon as possible! It's such a breath of fresh air on Win7 to be on an OS that actually works. In fact, Win7 made me sell my MacBook Pro and switch back to PCs for my primary computers...

Comment

I have a older Desktop I built with openSuse and ubuntu installed on it

This is a kool thread

Today I was looking at ubuntu

Who know's this is what makes life fun to me , ewhat is really kool is taking this to the next level and elaborating on VRS type of programs , aides that some of us use to make life easier ...

Thanks ;
            GL

Comment

I have used Windows 7 since it came out and it is certainly more stable than XP. I rarely have freezes and I'm using it all day every day. Even though XP was a stable platform comparatively speaking, freezes were quite evidently more occurrent. My wife uses Vista with little complaint. Vista got a really bad name with a lot of problems initially but subsequent updates and services packs have seen it fairly reliable in my opinion and not too dissimilar from Windows 7 looks wise and function wise. Four computers in this household, one XP, one Vista and two Windows 7, the choice isn't very hard really, Windows 7.

Comment

I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop which seems to be pretty stable. Once in a while it'll lock up when I have Dragon running and him playing farm town, but not too often. I can kind of tell when it's about to and then I just restart my browser.
                If I'm not using a laptop, I custom build my computers. I've been using Windows XP in the past. There's a program out there where you can include all the drivers for all the hardware you have and cut out a bunch of garbage you don't use so when I build a new computer, I always custom make the operating system to that computer although I'm not sure if you can do that with Windows 7.
                C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoPixie View Post
                  HP Envy 14 laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate
                  Thats a nice laptop. The battery life good with it?

My laptop is circa 2004 (first Acer Ferrari laptop), I'm sorta getting the itch to get another. But if the wifi is running, how much does that impact the uptime?
                  ---------
                  C5-6 / '88

Comment

Originally posted by rybread View Post
                    There's a program out there where you can include all the drivers for all the hardware you have and cut out a bunch of garbage you don't use so when I build a new computer, I always custom make the operating system to that computer although I'm not sure if you can do that with Windows 7.
                    You slipstream any version of windows to create a slimmed down install. MS even supplies the tools to do it.
                    ---------
                    C5-6 / '88

Comment

Win 7 64 bit, and I love the speedy desltop search engine that MS now uses.
                      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Tonight I am looking @ a new CentOS 64 bit disks , didnt do anything with it yet
                        Kinda curious what computer i'll throw it on ...

Maybe even dual boot ...

One of them brain farts

GL

Comment

i've got win xp pro on my desktop it's pretty slow.

i have vista on my laptop. i rarely have problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X