Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

malware, computer help, help, help me (rhonda, anyone... bueller...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malware, computer help, help, help me (rhonda, anyone... bueller...)

the virus i had fixed/gotten rid of, is back, yet i'm allowed to peruse using a different browser.

i'm trying to follow these directions, because it's similar to how it was cleaned up earlier-I watched my friend do it
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4741166_remo...n-spyware.html

the version of malwarebites on my pc that he had installed is not working (file infected by W32/Blaster.worm- which is what it says when I try to use anything, my regular browser, solitare, anything.) as instructed in the link's instructions, but I can't find a free version...

meeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    help
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

ok, when i went here http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...-10804572.html and attempted to dl and run malwarebytes, it is infecting the program before I can install the file. does that make sense?
    Last edited by feisty; 20 Jan 2011, 8:55 PM. Reason: eta, where's the surly captain these days- anyway

Comment

Yep, what you need to do is to boot into safe mode (F8) and then install the malwarebytes.

Don
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...lware-tutorial
        Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post
          Yep, what you need to do is to boot into safe mode (F8) and then install the malwarebytes.

Don
          Yep, what he said Make sure you update Malwarebytes before running it. That should work. Yikes..the win 32 virus. A crazy one indeed.
          http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-remove...an-proxy-virus
          Its said to infect something like 80% of the computers out there. A virus that size could cripple the entire country or something like that.
          Stop watching "Pron" Feisty......LOL j/k
          Has it been five years yet? ..........

Comment

this link doesn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by Donno View Post

Don
              that's what he did...

but now I'm not aware of how to do that.

any tips or things i need to know before venturing into safemode for the first time?

Comment

http://www.win32virusremoval.com/
                Here is another article/whole site about it. Kama Sutra anyone??hehe
                Has it been five years yet? ..........

Comment

Turn your computer off. Then start it, and press down on the F8 key. It will boot to a very basic desktop, no glitter, but you have all the functionality. Open your browser, download malawarbytes, update it, and run it while in safe mode. Run it again after you boot normal.

When you start it and press F8, and it boots, it might ask you which type of safe mode or something, I can't remember. But one will be highlighted, and use that.

Good luck.
                  Originally posted by feisty View Post
                  that's what he did...

but now I'm not aware of how to do that.

any tips or things i need to know before venturing into safemode for the first time?
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

You can also run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool by clicking on START, RUN and type
                    "MRT” (without the quotes). Choose a Full Scan.

Here is the link Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool in case you need to download.
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                    ––Paul Nussbaum
                    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

this link doesn't work?
                      Feisty,
                      The link worked for me (even from your quote) it could be that the malware is blocking it.
                      In any case as the others have pointed out you need to boot to safe mode to update malwarebytes and apparently to read this particular tutorial.

However, I just cleaned a friends puter last Sunday and after downloading the cleaner program and running it it safe mode it wasn't able to remove the malware in Safe mode because it couldn't find it.
                      So I had to reboot to normal mode, let the malware become resident, then use a small program called Rkill (as described, and linked to in the tutorial) to disable the malware and allow Malwarebytes to do it's thing.

To recap:
                      Boot in safe mode.
                      Download and update Malwarebytes.
                      Download and save a copy of the tutorial.
                      Download and save the various versions of RKill.
                      Reboot to normal mode.
                      Run Rkill (you may have to try several versions to find the right one. When you do run the right one a dos-style command box will pop up.)
                      Then run Malwarebytes.

Good luck.
                      Jeff
                      Doh!

Comment

the virus i had fixed/gotten rid of, is back, yet i'm allowed to peruse using a different browser.

i'm trying to follow these directions, because it's similar to how it was cleaned up earlier-I watched my friend do it
                        http://www.ehow.com/how_4741166_remo...n-spyware.html

the version of malwarebites on my pc that he had installed is not working (file infected by W32/Blaster.worm- which is what it says when I try to use anything, my regular browser, solitare, anything.) as instructed in the link's instructions, but I can't find a free version...

meeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
                        help
                        feisty, I see you posted. I hope you got your computer straightened out and got rid of the virus. I had a very nasty one last year. I had difficulty even working in safemode eventually. I could download malwarebytes, but virus wouldnt allow it to run. I forget the name of it, it was a well known one. Hope it is ok now. (Bueller!!!, you are funny)

Comment

wish me luck. i'm about to try it. If you never hear from me again, it's because I screwed up something vital lol.

Comment

lol, it will be fine, don't worry. If you are still working, things can't be that bad.

Comment

So here goes.

I went into safe mode. (insert danger music)
                              There were a few extra selections to make, like I think I picked Administrator... and then the operating system.

I got a black-screened desktop, with less than my normal icons on it, went to boot up mozilla (which is my default browzer) and it wouldn't connect. (continued to try to connect all thru the process, would not connect) I looked for E explorer, couldn't find it anywhere in my Start or All Programs menu- nowhere.

Malwarebytes was already on my PC from last month's fix, so I figured I'd run it, even without updating (still no connection) and quick scanned. (found 1 thing, followed steps to remove trojan) Then I used the Microsoft security essentials from last month in there to scan as well, (still couldn't update, but whatevs, ran it- scan came back clear)

restarted computer

upon immediate startup, it gave me prompts for MSE and Malwarebytes blah blah blah's I updated them both (now that I could get a connection- weird, right?) and ran them. They both pulled something out (MSE-2 things, MalWB 3 things- 1 of which said win32worm).

Now that I thought I had updated and ran both softwares, I restarted my pc, thinking victory- and as soom as I rebooted THE GODDAMN VIRUS PROTECTION FAKE VIRUS BULLSHIT POPPED BACK UP ON MY COMPUTER, I COULD HAVE DIED OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt so accomplished

Comment

Working...
                              X