Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

malware, computer help, help, help me (rhonda, anyone... bueller...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall correctly this is a "boondoggled" version of Windows XP. You may need to ante up and purchase a OEM full version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, stop downloading music off Pirate Bay.

Give MRT a try (Post # 10).
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
      If I recall correctly this is a "boondoggled" version of Windows XP. You may need to ante up and purchase a OEM full version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, stop downloading music off Pirate Bay.

Give MRT a try (Post # 10).
      this is a different computer. legit copy of xp.

and I havent dl'd any music lately, but thanks for the help in solving the problem currently.
      Last edited by feisty; 21 Jan 2011, 9:34 PM. Reason: eta:there's no way I have $100 for a new software program. maybe on a nurse's salary... but yeah. not possible.
      An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by feisty View Post
        this is a different computer. legit copy of xp.

and I havent dl'd any music lately, but thanks for the help in solving the problem currently.

Safe boot w/Networking should allow you to get online for the updates.
        Doh!

Comment

Glad to read you went legit! Do you have the recovery or the Windows XP installation disk?
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
          --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

You can also run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool by clicking on START, RUN and type
            "MRT” (without the quotes). Choose a Full Scan.

Here is the link Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool in case you need to download.
            I did this earlier, and once again just to double check. the system won't let me execute it, because it dl's, and then infects it before i can run/install.

I think that if i can connect to the internet in safe mode andc do it, it might hellp, but for some reason, I don't know where to look to check/fix that? I woukld also be able to do my updates in there.

Comment

Glad to read you went legit! Do you have the recovery or the Windows XP installation disk?
              uhhh, no. lol. I know it's going to sound fishy but this is a good guy friend's previous gaming computer, so when my nerdy friends get new ones they just kick down their old ones for favors or old debts or whatever. I didn't know to ask for the disks, but he says everything's legit.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                Safe boot w/Networking should allow you to get online for the updates.
                I don't understand what that means- did I pick the wrong option for something when I went in there?

Comment

Feisty,
                  Can you bring your computer to someone who is experienced, in the biz of fixing this stuff? I had what seems identical to what you are having last year and had to reinstall. I kept screwing with it (against advice of a good friend who's degree is in computer science and has been working in it for 30 years) until it was destroyed. He tried to help me over the phone, when it was clear that this was impossible, he said "turn it off, till i get there". But I kept f**ing with it. I couldn't stop. I thought, let me try this or that. If i had turned it off when he told me initially, maybe could have been fixed, but I didn't leave it alone. But I had all my installation disks etc, so that is what i did in the end.

Comment

when you get to that screen choose "Safe mode with Networking" option.
                    So you can update or dl the necessary stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EAK View Post

when you get to that screen choose "Safe mode with Networking" option.
                      So you can update or dl the necessary stuff.
                      oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

yeah, see, I just clicked safemode.

I'm going to try and do the basic run through of those 2 programs again, and if it doesn't fix, then it's someone else's biz.

Comment

Sorry, I confused you feisty. I told you to click the highlighted option, but on mine, the default highlight is safe mode w/ networking. Win7 64-bit

If you run the scans in safe mode, make sure you run them again once (if) you can boot normal.

Good luck girl.
                        Originally posted by feisty View Post
                        oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

yeah, see, I just clicked safemode.

I'm going to try and do the basic run through of those 2 programs again, and if it doesn't fix, then it's someone else's biz.
                        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

How'd it go feisty?
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

not so good.

it said my malwarebytes was updated (i guess since that first time through it let me update in regular mode) so I ran it, it came back as clear, which I knew was bs

so then i went to update MSE, and it wouldn't let me, so it prompted me to the webpage to redownload, which I tried, and then it said I couldn't download in safe mode. :?

lost. frustrated.
                            and actualy pretty upset because I thought I had fixed it and thennnnnnnnn, no.

:/

so I forwarded my friend this thread so he could see what I had done, and gave myself a manicure as a pick me up.

THAT I was able to accomplish without a hitch.

Comment

The beastie has its hooks dug pretty deep into the OS. Can you run MRT? You don't have to download anything.

--General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

It says that it runs, and its fine, but I know its not bc on reboot it pops up in my face like a brutal failure reminder.

Comment

Working...
                                X