kindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
    I was not aware of this. Can you post a link, please?

Here's the link for today's offerings. The way you find it is to click the left side menu on the Kindle page titled "free book collections." The second paragraph then has a link called "special time limited offers." You have to be willing to surf through the books no one wants, but there are some hidden treasures that show up with some regularity too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?node=2279458011

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
      The new color Nook is backlit.
      and yet it's LCD.

I'm sold on e-ink, but that's just my preference. I'm more than satisfied with Amazon's service too. B&N is solid though.

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      Here's the link for today's offerings. The way you find it is to click the left side menu on the Kindle page titled "free book collections." The second paragraph then has a link called "special time limited offers." You have to be willing to surf through the books no one wants, but there are some hidden treasures that show up with some regularity too.

cool... never knew about that

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Originally posted by Eileen View Post

I have kindle only on PC right now..

Comment

I got Kindle for Christmas. I was tired of my edition of Anna Karenina falling on my head while reading in bed (about 600 pages).
          My husband liked it so much he researched all of them and got himself a Nook, by Barnes & Noble.
          With Nook he can download books free from our library. I cannot do that (yet) with Kindle and that's such a downer for me as I use the library a lot.
          When I got Kindle I purchased Anna Karenina for .99 cents and I'm still reading it, but this time it's so easy to do so. The Kindle is noticeably lighter weight than Nook.
          I helped my husband get his first library book for Nook by first downloading Adobe Digital Editions, then acquiring the e-edition from the library then hooking up Nook and loading it on the e-reader.
          I'm researching if there is a way to do this with Kindle, though I've seen blogs that you can't do this.
          Try to get both 3G and wireless. You can then use the device virtually anywhere, as well as download books anywhere - from your car, etc.

Comment

@triumph, Calibre will convert books in ePub formats to one compatible w/ the Kindle: http://calibre-ebook.com

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
              @triumph, Calibre will convert books in ePub formats to one compatible w/ the Kindle: http://calibre-ebook.com

Thanks for the info, Scott. I plan to try this.

Comment

I love the Kindle!! I just bought my girlfriend one for Valentine's Day after watching both my sisters and mother ripped through a book a day. How amazing is it to be able to carry around over 3000 books in something that weighs about 4 pounds? It is super easy to read during the daytime, and the leather binding with the light for reading in the evening or in bed is a nice touch. Here's my only problem when it comes to myself. And I'm also concerned about this and overall technology that's arriving on the marketplace daily. As a C-4/C5, I cannot press the side buttons to turn the page. I was also unable to upgrade my phone (Blackberry) or go to an iPhone because I do not have movement in my hands.

I'm quite capable of texting, typing, turning pages in a book with my typing stick in my left hand (wrist brace), but many devices do not operate unless there is heat conducted, similar to the old microwaves. I know that there are few phones out there but I played around with and I really do like my Blackberry right now, but I'm concerned about people who are developing these new products not taking into consideration that turning or hitting the button on the Kindle is impossible. Using the optical trackpad on the new Blackberry Bold is very very difficult as well.

As I just saw the new release for the iPad I thought again about how difficult that would be to navigate. I mean the feature of being able to zoom in on something is wonderful, if you can use it.

What has come in great handy is downloading the free application for the Kindle onto my laptop so that I can click the buttons that move the pages. I also have the Blackberry application for the Kindle although it's almost like reading the fine print in the contract because it's so small.

Is there any reading device out there that can be operated with the touch of the stick or pressing one of the buttons? I don't think on the Kindle that the number pad and the control at the bottom allow you to turn pages. I hope I'm wrong, and this weekend when I hang out with my girlfriend I will have to take a look at hers, but I'm pretty sure that you have to hit the buttons on the side. I never really enjoyed reading that much, but being able to have all of those free materials and the classics, as well as importing some PDF files makes reading so much more enjoyable, I just wish I could take it with me more conveniently by using the Kindle device.

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                  I also use Calibre. Where the program excels is as a NewsReader aggregator. You set up a "recipe" of news sources that you want to pull from and then Calibre does the rest. At whatever timed interval you set, Calibre will go out and collect the news content, convert it to the Epub format and then push it out to your Kindle.

It's the best new program that I've in 2011, and my job involves me being on the net most of the day.

Comment

UGH!!! Thanks Fuentes lol Now I ended up buying one when i was trying to be good and not spend money! lol!

It is for my hubby's birthday so I had a good excuse!

I bought the Kindle..hope he likes it!
                    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
                      UGH!!! Thanks Fuentes lol Now I ended up buying one when i was trying to be good and not spend money! lol!

It is for my hubby's birthday so I had a good excuse!

I bought the Kindle..hope he likes it!
                      I am sure he will love it, I love mine! Make sure you check out all the free book sites for free books because there are thousands out there!

Comment

Thanks! I will..this is a great thread for info! now I am subscribed..I hope to learn how to make it a good experience for him..though he loves gadgets --I am totally not a gadget person..I was hoping to get him some good weeklys to subscribe or newpapers..He likes "the Week" we get it at home and maybe I can get that one for kindle?
                        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

I've had mine about 3 weeks now. I'm C5 and have no problems with the controls. Haven't tried recharging it yet, but it hasn't needed it.The built in dictionary is fun. If I run into a word I don't know like plimsoll or snickelway, I just move the cursor next to it and a definition pops up. Everything positive so far.
                          Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Originally posted by TomRL View Post
                            I've had mine about 3 weeks now. I'm C5 and have no problems with the controls. Haven't tried recharging it yet, but it hasn't needed it.The built in dictionary is fun. If I run into a word I don't know like plimsoll or snickelway, I just move the cursor next to it and a definition pops up. Everything positive so far.
                            The Kindle built-in dictionary is a God send. I'm reading "The Emporer or All Maladies" a 1,000 page historical review of cancer and I need all the help that I can get. It even knows most of the medical terms.

Comment

Originally posted by douglastneidermeyer View Post
                              I'm reading "The Emporer or All Maladies" a 1,000 page historical review of cancer
                              Good book, listening to the Audible version myself.
                              Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

Working...
                              X