kindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wesley View Post
    one of the frustrations with Kindle is that you can't loan books. My siblings and I, along with a few other family members, registered our devices to one account. We must have close to a dozen devices registered if you include computers and iphones. We each keep track of our purchases and send gift certificates to the account owner. Anything we buy gets charged first to the gift certificate. It's fun to see what everybody else is reading and it's nice to know that the book you buy can be read by others.

there is no limit to how many devices can be registered to account. However, most books limit the number of simultaneous readers to six devices. Once you delete the book from your device it becomes available again.
    Wesley, if you look at the Kindle discussion page it mentions that the ability to loan books is coming out later this year. You will be able to loan a book to another Kindle account for 14 days. It is being called the 'Nook killer' because that was the one thing Nook did that Kindle did not.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
      Thank you, that's pretty convincing. I did a quick try in amazon though, do you usually buy them there? Any better place?
      Amazon is THE provider for Kindle books. No problem though, as the number of books available is beyond anything a mere mortal could ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
        i just bought the new grisham book for 9.99 eileen, just released. cant beat that
        I know, it is pretty cool. Have you pre-ordered a book yet? The day it is released it shows up on your Kindle. No line, no waiting, no trip to the bookstore, and at a deep discount too!

Comment

Originally posted by 0xSquidy View Post
          Thank you, that's pretty convincing. I did a quick try in amazon though, do you usually buy them there? Any better place?
          I use Amazon exclusively since they put out the Kindle. You open a Kindle account and your data is saved, books transfer into your device. Nice, clean and simple.
          Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

I think I would like one, but can't get used to the idea of not reading a paper book.
            I get 2 newspapers a day which should fulfill my paper fix I suppose. Must be an age thing. I was 40 before I touched a computer.
            Usually I put new books on list at the library which is efficient and free.
            The trouble is often we can't leave home for days and I have to rely on my daughter to pick them up which she gladly does, but I have to wait.
            It won't get any easier with winter coming.
            Last night I had her buy "squirrel seeks chipmunk" by David Sedaris because the library was closed when she got off work.
            I'll pass it along to someone.

Comment

If I don't get one for Christmas, I'm going to buy myself one. I think it'll just be easier to handle and take with me than a normal paperback book. They sure can be cumbersome, especially bigger books.
              If there is light
              it will find
              you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                I think I would like one, but can't get used to the idea of not reading a paper book.
                I get 2 newspapers a day which should fulfill my paper fix I suppose. Must be an age thing. I was 40 before I touched a computer.
                Usually I put new books on list at the library which is efficient and free.
                The trouble is often we can't leave home for days and I have to rely on my daughter to pick them up which she gladly does, but I have to wait.
                It won't get any easier with winter coming.
                Last night I had her buy "squirrel seeks chipmunk" by David Sedaris because the library was closed when she got off work.
                I'll pass it along to someone.
                I think that is one of the best things Kindle has going for it. You can sit indoors when the weather is truly gross outside and download a book in less than a minute. No standing in line, parking, or dealing with the cold!

Comment

A Kindle is going to be my Christmas present to myself this year.

I have procrastinated long enough and I am tired of lugging books around.

We are getting a Wi too and that is the extent of my shopping...LOL
                  T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I love reading kindle books on my ipod touch - haven't splurged for a kindle cause I'm saving up for an ipad.
                    My biggest beef with the whole digital revolution going on is the cost - paying $10 a book vs. hitting the library a few times a month and getting them for free...is the convenience really worth it? So far I'd probably say yes, but I hope the library system is able to catch up and start offering some digital versions of more popular books. Whatever they come up with, I'm guessing that because Kindle is a closed platform we won't be able to access digital library books from that device. Hopefully that won't be the case with the ipad or other devices...

Comment

speaking from experience, reading on a Kindle for long lengths of time is much easier on the eyes than an iPhone/iPad, and the battery life is ridiculously long.

if you really want ePub support, look elsewhere than Amazon, but I've never found that to be a limitation. I've got several PDFs loaded on mine.

BTW, there are LOTS of free books available for the Kindle.

Comment

The other cool thing about a Kindle is the occasional search for what happens to be free in a 24 hour window. I have gotten some really good books for nada, zilch, just because I happened to find them on temporary special, and then the next day they go back to regular price. LOVE my Kindle. I have only had it about six months and already have 28 books on it!

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                          speaking from experience, reading on a Kindle for long lengths of time is much easier on the eyes than an iPhone/iPad, and the battery life is ridiculously long.

if you really want ePub support, look elsewhere than Amazon, but I've never found that to be a limitation. I've got several PDFs loaded on mine.

BTW, there are LOTS of free books available for the Kindle.
                          Does it have a backlight? I do most of my reading at night while the wife is asleep, and I like not having to turn on a lamp...

Curse you for making me second guess myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                            The other cool thing about a Kindle is the occasional search for what happens to be free in a 24 hour window. I have gotten some really good books for nada, zilch, just because I happened to find them on temporary special, and then the next day they go back to regular price. LOVE my Kindle. I have only had it about six months and already have 28 books on it!
                            I was not aware of this. Can you post a link, please?
                            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by taziar View Post
                              Does it have a backlight? I do most of my reading at night while the wife is asleep, and I like not having to turn on a lamp...

no backlight on e-ink.

they have covers w/ lights though...

Comment

Originally posted by taziar View Post

The new color Nook is backlit.
                                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X