No announcement yet.

"Simply Smarter" Dragon 11 Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear from everyone's experiences of Dragon.

What microphones of preference are you using these days? And what kind of recognition do you get with it?

Comment

Originally posted by PN View Post
      State of the Art
      Reliable Dictation, Down to a ‘T’
      By DAVID POGUE
      Published: July 28, 2010

Nuance, the company that makes Dragon NaturallySpeaking for Windows, is in a pretty sweet position: It’s essentially a monopoly. One by one, its competitors in the speech-recognition business have either left the market (Philips), gone out of business (Lernout & Hauspie) or turned over its product to Nuance (I.B.M.). Even the sole Mac speech-recognition program, MacSpeech Dictate, can no longer be considered a kind of rival; Nuance bought it this year.

New York Times
      Anyone who's used Dragon software for any length of time should check out the little video on the New York Times website. It's very cute and long-time users of speech recognition would find the humor fitting.

I've used Dragon software since the early 1990s -- long before continuous speech became commonplace. Even though I am a long-time user I've never been able to get comfortable using speech recognition products to control the mouse. Fortunately the people at NaturalPoint came along with their TrackIR and SmartNav products that allow me to use my head movement to control the mouse. NaturallySpeaking and SmartNav go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I think the upgrade price for Pro users ($199) is a bit steep. I might either step down to the Preferred version or skip this version and upgrade when the next version becomes available. I guess the people at Nuance haven't heard the country is in a recession (and that's looking at the glass as half-full). I mean come on, haven't they already bought out all of their competition? So it's not like we have to fund any more corporate takeovers in an effort to root out competition.

Comment

what's the best/CHEAPEST "natural" to start off with?

i assume caid/care doesn't cover?

Comment

Try Amazon or TigerDirect.
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
          --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
          ––Paul Nussbaum
          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks PN. i thought it was more expensive. thats not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
              thanks PN. i thought it was more expensive. thats not bad at all.
              That's version 10 though. The latest is here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Natural...3628124&sr=1-2
              C4/C5 complete 8/20/91

Comment

These posts are really helpful ... I had a love/hate-but-mostly-hate relationship with earlier versions of Dragon (still have version 6 installed and use it rarely!) but really need to use voice control more regularly. I don't know who I'm trying to impress by pecking away slowly with quad hands.

Does DNS 11 Home plus a decent goose-neck mic sounds like the best combo right now? I don't like using headsets.

Comment

I use a Plantronics wireless headset. I did a few searches for voice recognition USB microphones. This USB microphone is sold on the KnowBrainer website. Here is another one from emicrophones. You may also want to take a look at the MacSpeech Products for a price comparison.
                  Originally posted by Liisa View Post
                  These posts are really helpful ... I had a love/hate-but-mostly-hate relationship with earlier versions of Dragon (still have version 6 installed and use it rarely!) but really need to use voice control more regularly. I don't know who I'm trying to impress by pecking away slowly with quad hands.

Does DNS 11 Home plus a decent goose-neck mic sounds like the best combo right now? I don't like using headsets.
                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                  --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                  ––Paul Nussbaum
                  usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

To those who wrestle with headsets: I use an Andrea Superbeam array mic, little thing that rests atop my monitor. It works really well as long as there is no background noise. A bit expensive but a good option. It scores 22-24 on Dragon's audio quality check.

Comment

Working...
                    X