SP2 for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SP2 for dummies

A friend of mine installed sp2, it wreaked havoc. He had to reformat his computer and lost everything. Should I download this? Why? I'm skeeeeeered.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Here is an article on it in semi-plain language: PC Mag

I recomend it, but before you do fully backup your system and set a restore point, just in case.

I have had no problems as of yet.

Comment

I updated my computer at work and my computer at home with SP2. Didn't have any problems. It took a long time (between 30-45 minutes) and I had to play around with the firewall settings but everything seems to have gone okay.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003
      T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

My sister did that too, and now her comp is messed. I'm waiting for a bit to get it, to see if MS fixes it.

Comment

Did your friend try uninstalling SP2 before formatting?

I've been running SP2 on all of my computers since it was released (and before it was announced). I haven't had any problems, but there were a few changes I didn't like which I've since worked around.

I don't use the built in firewall, I have a hardware firewall and I run the Sygate Personal Firewall on the system. I highly reccommend the Sygate PF, it's not as bloated as ZoneAlarm and it has some more advanced features.
          _____
          Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
          Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Jim:

Are you using the free version of Sygate? You are very secure with the router and the software firewall. It is probably a good idea to have both. However, some may have an issue with the demand on their system resources.

PN
            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
            --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
            ––Paul Nussbaum
            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

To ALL, if you have any SP2 issues with your system after installing, Call MS at 1-888-772-4357, Free Call, and they will help you.

Yes I work at MS.

Don't Look at My Shell, Look at ME!
              Don't Look at My Shell, Look at ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

Jim:

Are you using the free version of Sygate? You are very secure with the router and the software firewall. It is probably a good idea to have both. However, some may have an issue with the demand on their system resources.

PN
                Yes it's the free version of Sygate. It doesn't use much system resources at all. It definately uses less than the zonealarm firewall.

It does use up some cpu time when copy files on my LAN due to the logging. I could turn off logging to fix that, but I like the logging feature.

_____
                Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
                Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

i no longer update. im happy with my pc so why try to fix it. updates are like gambling, half of the time it makes your pc better, other half mess everything up.

Comment

When you don't it leaves hole that hacks can continue to exploit. Most of the time without you even knowing.

Comment

i have had problems since sp2
                      cauda equina

Comment

I have downloaded SP2 on three computers without incident. For those of you who are having problems, have you been able to uninstall SP2 successfully?

PN
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                        --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I've put SP2 my three computers as well. No problems here. Keep in mind you may have to install updates to other software as well if it doesn't work with SP2.

_____

Comment

I've had SP2 for a couple weeks. Didn't see any problems at first. Now the Quirks are starting to surface. HP photo and arcsoft have gone tits up!
                            My wireless network has been taken over by MS aliens that always want to repair it for me before it will connect! Spybot S&D says I now have DSO exploits..registry changes in IE! [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] I have a feeling there will be more.

You ppl that are PC wizards, it's prolly no biggie to fix this stuff. If only they would write programs using real words instead of secret code, a layperson(idiot) might be able to figure out how to right the wrong!. But, then the wizards would be out of work. oh well.

Bad day,cable out,no football,no nascar=pissed [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Do Mac users constantly have to patch their OS?

DIGG.
                            DIGG.

Comment

One theory: Try to remove all Spyware off your PC before you install Windows SP2. It is possible that Spyware may be causing these SP2 issues.

Sunday, Sept. 26, 2004 KFI AM 640
                              Judy in San Clemente - SP2 experience
                              Four workstations. Installed it on all four. First three were fine. Fourth one lost all its hardware drivers. She uninstalled. Turns out the system was laden with spyware. When she removed the spyware the SP2 upgrade worked great and the computer is performing better than ever. Seems to confirm my hypothesis that it's undetected spyware that's causing some of these SP-2 problems.
                              Leo Laporte

Digger: I am not a Mac user, but I know that they don't have to deal with all the security issues that we do with Windows.

I just want to make sure that this toll-free number for Microsoft Tech Suport is not overlooked.(Provided by Duddie Blue Eyes)

To ALL, if you have any SP2 issues with your system after installing, Call MS at 1-888-772-4357, Free Call, and they will help you.

Yes I work at MS.
                              PN
                              --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X