X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good free virus scanners?

Any that anybody could recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

I use the free version of Super Anti-Spyware to protect against malware/spyware. I have a different anti-virus though (Kapersky)

Free computer stuff freaks me out though! Nothing in life is free!
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Comment

I'm not sure about good/bad but I use avast and avg (on different computers).
      Daniel

Comment

Besides what dan_nc specified(avast, avg), Bitdefender has a free version too. Whatever product you will chose, you can try a free online scanning first. I know about McAfee, Bitdefender, Panda free online scanners. The thing is that you have to use Internet Explorer in order to run the required ActiveX. This is one of the few cases when it's oke to allow installation of an ActiveX from a website.

Anyway, I don't remember when it was when I had the last virus. The thing is to stay away from malicious applications.
        Last edited by cypresss; 25 Feb 2010, 1:10 AM.
        This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Big Tuna, Dan, and Cypress. Much appreciated. I will check all these out.

Originally posted by Big Tuna View Post

I agree. I am leery of free software as well and personally I have no issues paying for good virus software. But the reason I am asking is that I am working on a project that distributes used, donated laptops to low income families. Unfortunately our funding is very limited so I am looking for a free, or very low cost, way of putting virus protection on 250 machines before they are given out.

Comment

When is about the free software, you can take all the advantages of it. A lot of things are free into this industry. The developers are putting their personal code online available for the community. If the community find it useful, interesting, good they will improve it with their needs and put it back to the community(that's the short and general story). The problem with free software is bad graphical design. Programmers are bad at designing and unfortunately, designers don't join the free software communities . If you don't care about the user interface and you appreciate the functionality of a software product, then use a free one and give a feedback to the coders.

offtopic: There is a wrong assumption that only machines with Windows are vulnerable. Until 2008, Windows had 90% of the market share. That's why all the malicious code was write for Windows machines especially.

btw: OS Revolution[google video] is a very cool video about free software & open source products
            OJ: because you like cooking, you have to see the first minutes of this video
            Last edited by cypresss; 25 Feb 2010, 5:03 AM. Reason: added the video link and the thing about graphical interface
            This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

I have used the free edition of AVG for years and I also use Spybot S&D Depending on the knowledge of the user you might not want to put Spybot on them

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download?prd=afg

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Comment

I use AVG free. My computer doctor with a degree put it on both of mine when they went in the shop. I have not had any problems since then. Now when i paid out the wazzoo for Norton and McAfee I had nothing but problems...wonder why that is? LOL, I smell a conspiracy theory some where here! Better grab my tin foil hat!
                “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

Everyone who replied already beat me to replying AVG. I've used it in combination with spybot Search & Destroy and didn't have problems. It was while trying out a "free" trial of Norton and disabling the other two I ended up having issues. Back to AVG

Comment

Is the "Avast" free antivirus download only good for 30 days or is it really free? Thanks.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Comment

AVG and Avast are both good antivirus programs. I switched to Avast a year or so ago because AVG 9 was slowing down browser load time and have been pleased.

Comment

Well I tried AVG on my own laptop last night, and have to admit that so far am not at all impressed. I had major problems installing it under Windows 7. After that I tried it out on another laptop that has infected files (belonging to a friend who won't stop using Limewire) and it didn't pick up everything that Norton did. And while I am not a huge fan of Norton, the fact that it found problems AGV missed didn't exactly inspire confidence in the program for me. Very disappointing as I was hoping AVG might be exactly what I was looking for. I will try Avast this afternoon.

Originally posted by cypresss View Post
                        When is about the free software, you can take all the advantages of it. A lot of things are free into this industry. The developers are putting their personal code online available for the community. If the community find it useful, interesting, good they will improve it with their needs and put it back to the community(that's the short and general story). The problem with free software is bad graphical design. Programmers are bad at designing and unfortunately, designers don't join the free software communities . If you don't care about the user interface and you appreciate the functionality of a software product, then use a free one and give a feedback to the coders.
                        Good points.

OJ: because you like cooking, you have to see the first minutes of this video
                        Awesome! Thanks
                        Last edited by orangejello; 25 Feb 2010, 3:34 PM.

Comment

OJ. I have avg free running, and it seems to catch most of the stuff. What it misses are more spyware type things,BUT my daughter did get caught with somethings on my old laptop while running it. It also slows things down a bit.

One program I find is good when cleaning up a mess is Malwarebytes. It had found stuff that both my antiv and spy programs have missed. It isn;t a run-every-day thing, but a fix.
                          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello View Post
                            I agree. I am leery of free software as well and personally I have no issues paying for good virus software. But the reason I am asking is that I am working on a project that distributes used, donated laptops to low income families. Unfortunately our funding is very limited so I am looking for a free, or very low cost, way of putting virus protection on 250 machines before they are given out.
                            Maybe you can contact antivirus vendor and inquiry whether they'd consider donating licenses for your project?
                            Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                              Is the "Avast" free antivirus download only good for 30 days or is it really free? Thanks.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
                              They do sell paid products too, but the "free" is really "free" (no cost), it's not a trial or anything like that.
                              Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X