home theater/surround sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home theater/surround sound

why is my sound playing for my dvd playing but not the picture? what got unplugged when my pal plugged in my wii?

help.

the hurt locker isn't gonna watch itself. lol.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

ps i googled for the manual and did try to resolve this myself. its a

sa ht740 panasonic

Comment

Are the video & audio cords plugged in and in the right spot?
      Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
        Are the video & audio cords plugged in and in the right spot?
        yeah, it appears so, but ever since I plugged in my wii, my system won't play dvds- just their sound... is it jealous?

I figured I'm probably overlooking something totally simple with my history re:electronics

Comment

So the DVD and Wii are both connected? And does the picture & Audio both work for the Wii?

I don't know too much about that stuff, but I would think that the video cord from the DVD isn't connected right. I'm sure someone on here will be able to get you working.
          Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

yeah, everything for the wii works, and everything for the stereo/surround sound dvd player whatever thing plays except now for some reason the picture won't play for my dvd's but the sound is crystal clear...

Comment

my guess is you have the dvd and wii on different inputs into your screen. On the remote for the screen there should be a input/source/av button that will let you toggle through diff inputs ie av1/av2/av3/hdmi1/hdmi2/etc. Put your dvd on so you can hear it then try every source/input option.

Comment

Originally posted by brocko View Post
                my guess is you have the dvd and wii on different inputs into your screen. On the remote for the screen there should be a input/source/av button that will let you toggle through diff inputs ie av1/av2/av3/hdmi1/hdmi2/etc. Put your dvd on so you can hear it then try every source/input option.
                the remote for the 'screen' is just the standard comcast remote everyone has, and there's not a button for that... the way i option for the wii is by using the tv/vcr button, and i tried surfing through all channels w/that and the wii unplugged even.
                nothin.

Comment

Looks like you should be able to get a manual for your system HERE ... or dwnld the PDF here (I think this manual can be dwnlded from the first site too).

What other buttons are there beside the tv/VCR button? Maybe the DVD is not connecting because you are trying to access via vcr switch, or some other sort of conflict with video input/output (I have separate buttons for dvd/video and vcr)?

Was there a remote that came with the System? If that standard universal remote doesn't have an 'input' button or a tv/video button, then it may be better trying from the remote the system came with.

So, you unplugged the wii and had dvd wires all connected back to it's original places and it still didn't work? If you haven't yet, maybe try doing this and starting from scratch and see what happens.

Comment

Maybe try changing the channel on the actual television and not the cable box itself. Also,when the problem you have happens, usually it is because you have the right av audio plugs in (if you are using the red white and yellow inputs) but not the right av visual plugs. If you have just the single wire high def cord going in then it shouldn't matter. Hope you get it fixed.
                    Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

Comment

This is difficult to solve from a distance because there are many ways to hook up these components. Assuming there is no mechanical failure of one or more devices or wires, the problem is that the signal from the dvd video output is not reaching the selected screen video input due to input selection. The tv, dvd player and the avr all most likely have video switching capability. If the wires are hooked-up correctly, then it is just a matter of making sure that each device has the proper input selected. Due to the relatively large number of possible combinations, this can be confusing to even the tech savvy.

Think of a car driving down the road reaching intersections and deciding which way to turn. Your signal is making a wrong turn at one of those intersections. Without the map of the neighborhood you are driving in, it's hard to tell you why your video signal is winding up on a dead end street.

Go slow and write down the different combinations you try so as to reduce the time it takes to trial and error your way to a solution.
                      Last edited by Foolish Old; 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM.
                      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

if the wii works, that means you have a good cable and a good input to the TV.
                        I assume you're using a red, yellow & white cable. Take that cable out of the wii and make sure to plug it in to the right outputs on your DVD.yellow is usually video and red and white are the audio channels. But not always! Try every combination in the DVD output and hopefully it will work.

Comment

I tried for hours, and it seems like everything's hooked up correctly. I'm plying a techie gf to come over tonight with the promise of dinner and drinks to handle it.

I have the manual and it seems everything's connected, so I'm just frustrated with it. I know my gf is going to come in and push 3 buttons and have it all squared up. I hate falling into the stereotypical girlthatcanthandleelectronics stigma, but I'm just going to have to call this one a draw.

Comment

followup:video cable plugged into audio outlet.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X