Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows X,P, won't start help!!!!!!1/25/10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I would first attempt to start in safemode. Nothing to lose. Shut the computer off. Turn it on after a half minute or so and as soon as anything shows on the screen, press the F8 key and see if a menu with boot options comes up.

    Also, how old is the laptop?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
      I would first attempt to start in safemode. Nothing to lose. Shut the computer off. Turn it on after a half minute or so and as soon as anything shows on the screen, press the F8 key and see if a menu with boot options comes up.

      Also, how old is the laptop?
      it,s about 5 years old from what i see in the BIOS.i got it from ebay
      a month ago.
      sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

      Comment


      • #18
        Have you tried booting in safe mode? If your computer does not get that far, given its age, my suspicion is that the hard drive has died. It is the most common component to fail because it is mechanical and the parts wear from friction, etc. The hard drive has failed in all but one of the 14 computers I have gone through since 1980s. However, if you can get it into safe mode, there is hope.

        P.S. The life expectancy of computers is 5-6 years, so I hope you did not pay much.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

        See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

        Comment


        • #19
          I get that err window sometimes too. I reboot, or reset by removing the battery and unplugging, put batt back, hit power button, and if it starts up then plug back in. sometimes I need to reset the router. never had to remove the hdd.

          Comment


          • #20
            all computers that I have purchased from ebay needed new hard drives. most did not last long before that needed to be done.

            Comment


            • #21
              ok.update i was going to remove h.d.but after reading all those warnings in the manual thought i wouls try other things first.
              tried to boot in safe mode.
              win.system could not start 32/conf/system
              said i could try repair by potting in original c.d.rom.
              which i don't have.thanks all of you i,m just getting into putters
              sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by foxyladi14 View Post
                ok.update i was going to remove h.d.but after reading all those warnings in the manual thought i wouls try other things first.
                tried to boot in safe mode.
                win.system could not start 32/conf/system
                said i could try repair by potting in original c.d.rom.
                which i don't have.thanks all of you i,m just getting into putters
                Seems like it is not able to read your hard drive. Given your limited experience, This is the point I would recommend a repair shop for a diagnosis and cost estimate. The problem with laptops is that a lot af the hardware like hard drives are designed for the specific computer and require one from the manufacturer (HP in your case). I am 90 percent certain your drive is dead, but I am not a repair specialist. Some repair shops keep a supply of used parts taken from old computers on hand, so there is an outside chance you could get a reduced cost. In the end, you may be faced with deciding if you want to invest what the repair will cost in an old computer. For your sake, I hope I am totally wrong.
                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                See my personal webpage @
                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                Comment


                • #23
                  The hard drive doesn't have to be proprietary (certain brand). All you need is the proper form factor (size) and interface (plug).
                  Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                  Seems like it is not able to read your hard drive. Given your limited experience, This is the point I would recommend a repair shop for a diagnosis and cost estimate. The problem with laptops is that a lot af the hardware like hard drives are designed for the specific computer and require one from the manufacturer (HP in your case). I am 90 percent certain your drive is dead, but I am not a repair specialist. Some repair shops keep a supply of used parts taken from old computers on hand, so there is an outside chance you could get a reduced cost. In the end, you may be faced with deciding if you want to invest what the repair will cost in an old computer. For your sake, I hope I am totally wrong.
                  Foolish

                  "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                  "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I think the h\drive just needs reseating for better contact....sometimes warnings are there to intimidate.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      update and good news i got it to boot up in safe mode to do a system
                      restore it s working on that now..yipee
                      sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I could not get on the internet this morning, same type of messege. I refreshed the router, rebooted, did the battery thing, nothing. It turned out kitty had switched off the tiny wireless slide button on the side of my laptop.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I would suggest you do a Check Disk.

                          Left click on "My Computer"
                          Right click on "Local Disk C"
                          Left click on "Properties"
                          Go to the "Tools Tab" and left click on "Check now"
                          Check "Automatically fix file system errors"
                          Check "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
                          Left click on "Start"
                          Restart Windows.
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                          --General George Patton

                          Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                          ––Paul Nussbaum
                          usc87.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            thanks everyone you have been great hugs all around
                            sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by foxyladi14 View Post
                              thanks everyone you have been great hugs all around
                              Have you gnot it running?
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                              See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                                Have you gnot it running?

                                well heres the deal folks..i thought i had it going,but it started acting up again.now it is warning of hard drive failure.
                                so i really like this 17 in laptop.
                                would i be foolish to see what a hard drive costs and replace it??
                                it is 5 years old.
                                also another question when i did a defrag testerday on my compaq that i,m on now i noticed a looooot of contagious files is there a wat to get rid of them
                                i have C CLEANER installed
                                sigpicLET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X