Speakerphone Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakerphone Modem

Has anybody managed to set their computer up to act as a speakerphone?

My Dell Dimension desktop came with a speakerphone modem that never worked. I tried replacing it with a Modem Blaster speakerphone modem, and that didn't work either. I've tried connecting the modems to my sound card's TAD input and I've tried connecting a microphone and speakers directly to the modem. Still, no speakerphone.

Any tips or hardware recommendations would be appreciated. I just want a way to answer my phone when I forget to put my cordless handset nearby and I can't get to the speakerphone on the base.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, you can use your Dell Dimension to dial out along with taking incoming phone calls using your wireless headset.

PN
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Speakerphone modems I am aware of require the microphone and speaker to be plugged directly into the modem. If that's not the case (which you noted in your post), are you behind a firewall? Are the phone lines connected correctly (line in/line out)? Does the computer believe your modem is working properly (check through the control panel)?

Like Paul mentioned, check to see if you are able to make a call/receive a call. Check to see if both are working; don't assume if one works, both do.

Hope this helps narrow things.

-Lewis
      C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

Just to be clear, you can use your Dell Dimension to dial out along with taking incoming phone calls using your wireless headset.

PN
        Paul, I believe you misread "handset" for "headset".

-Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis:

Paul, I believe you misread "handset" for "headset".
          -Lewis
          Yes.

PN
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
          --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
          usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Squeakywheel:
            To the first part of your question: I have set up my Dell computer to work as a speakerphone. If I recall correctly, I first started using an external microphone and the audio came out of the speakers. I purchased Polycoms' Via Video for video conferencing and I now use a headset. In the software set up there are options for speakers along with external microphone, speakers with headset, and headset without external speakers. However, this is Voice Over IP and it uses the IP addresses instead of phone numbers, and Ethernet cable in place of phone wire.
            With your hardware you should be able to talk hands-free through an optional microphone and speakers. Have you downloaded the latest drivers? Maybe you need to consider an external soundcard. "Your computer case has a lot of radio frequency interference caused by components such as the hard drive, power supply, and so on. This can cause audio interference with internal audio cards that you can hear through your computer speakers.
            External audio devices usually have shielding that protects from interference. The result is a cleaner sound. They also come with more connectors than internal cards."
            Just to be clear, your Dell computer has never worked as a speaker phone.

PN
            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I've downloaded drivers, checked connections, made sure the device's are working properly and gone through everything else that usually works when installing new hardware.

The closest I've come to getting it working was plugging the mic and speakers directly into the modem. But the echo was horrendous and it sounded like a conversation through aluminum foil. On top of that, I could only dial out and couldn't answer incoming calls.

I thought about trying a USB external modem. Any recommendations? What about a phone that's integrated with the PC?

Thanks.

Comment

I think that the USB external modem would be better because of the many connections that they offer. As far as brands, U.S. Robotics would be high on my list. Let me think about this little more. One of our members may have a good recommendation on this issue.

PN
                --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by squeakywheel:

But the echo was horrendous and it sounded like a conversation through aluminum foil.
                  I'm puzzled [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

-Lewis

Comment

squeakywheel,

When you listen to a music CD or the radio through your Dell Computer, how is the quality of the audio coming through the speakers? Can you plug the microphone into the sound card? If your sound card has both a microphone and line input, make sure you know the difference.

PN

[This message was edited by Paul Nussbaum on 04-06-04 at 01:38 AM.]
                    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                    usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

The sound card is working well, the audio from the speakers is good and the microphone level into the sound card is fine. I tried the modem connected to the sound card with a TAD connector and the mic and speakers plugged into the sound card; and I tried the modem with the mic and speakers plugged directly into it. No go either way.

Comment

Squeakwheel:

You have "my" attention and I do not think that I have the exact fix for this problem. I am hoping that one of our members will have some suggestions on this issue.

If you are Dell Computer has the on-site warranty, then you may want to give Tech support a call and have their technician come to your home to fix this problem. Before they come out, Dell will give you a case number and a DTS number.

One person I know read this topic and wrote the following: "Over the past couple of years Dell Computer's have been experiencing a ridiculous amount of problems such as hard drive failures and improper shielding. Many computers feature a three-pronged plug but most Dell Computer's still utilize a two-pronged plug approach which pretty much says it all. Shielding has been a major problem for Dell of the past couple of years because they don't test for speech recognition." I want point out that I have a Dell Computer and I do not have any audio problems.

Before you purchase an external modem make sure that you will be able to return or have a future use for it, if it does not solve this problem.

PN
                        --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all of your help, Paul. I think that it's probably a systemic problem with this Dell computer. I haven't decided whether to try an external USB modem or just punt and wait until I buy a new computer. In any case, I really appreciate your effort. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am C4/C5 and therefore don't have the use of my hands so I use a headset on a Dell Dimension with a Conexant 56K Speakerphone Modem that came installed with the machine. The microphone and speaker of the headset are connected directly to the modem that, in turn, is connected to the soundcard internally. I also use Dragon Naturally Speaking 7 software for dictation using the same microphone headset. I have Norton firewall installed and there is also a firewall on the broadband supplied by British Telecom. I can make and receive telephone calls directly from the screen, send SMS messages to cellphones and use VOIP together with a WebCam should I want to. That telephony is provided by French programme called PhoneTools Expert supplied by BVRP software downloaded from:
                            http://shop.bvrp.com/english/asp/def...&id_product=18

When switching between dictation and making or receiving a telephone call I find I have to use the microphone boost (Advanced from audio master in Windows XP home edition) for telephone calls and clear it for dictation -- I therefore leave it open all the time). A USB headset does not work with the telephone system. Hope this helps.

Comment

PS Squeakyclean: I also use a TrackIR head mouse with a DwellClicking palette. Make sure you have no other light sources behind you to interfere with the infrared beam. I mount the reflective button on a piece of Velcro over the bridge of my spectacles. The only thing I can't do is shift select/control select but I have informed the software suppliers of this deficiency.

Comment

Working...
                              X