Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quads w/ no hand function - how do you use mouse functions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quads w/ no hand function - how do you use mouse functions?

I can't use a mouse. My wireless keyboard sits on the arms of my power chair and I use Microsoft Mousekeys - a built in Accessibility function that utilizes the number pad.

How do others do it?

I do the same thing you do: MouseKeys; laptop won't allow it, though.

I'm gonna copy this over to the Computer forum so it'll be easier for people to locate if they have similar questions.

-Steven
    "Sometimes, its enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own."
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

have you tried a touchpad (like many laptops have)? Any pressure on the pad will move the mouse, and tapping the pad will click. it's still a little awkward, but may be quicker than mousekeys. you can get a touchpad mouse that plugs in, check www.cirque.com.

Godspeed...
      Godspeed...
      freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

Godspeed, my b/f uses the same thing, and it's very convinient.

A tiny pressure/light touch using the tip of the index finger on the tab will do it. He's very comfortable with it.

Comment

I use a Kensington trackball and turn on the click lock in the control panel so I dont have to hold down the button to drag.
          A CURE NOW!

Comment

I bought a cheap USB keyboard for use with my laptop. I can't use a touchpad very well and the Mousekeys allow me to more easily select web text to copy and drag items using the 0/Ins key. I wouldn't be able to play Literati without it. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by lel42:

Godspeed, my b/f uses the same thing, and it's very convinient.

A tiny pressure/light touch using the tip of the index finger on the tab will do it. He's very comfortable with it.
              lol, Godspeed is not my name, it's Joey. Godspeed means God prosper you (sorta like saying good luck, but i don't believe in luck)

Godspeed...
              Godspeed...
              freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

Are there any touchpads that will work with an inanimate object like a mouthstick? All the ones I've tried seem to require a hand...

-Steven
                "Sometimes, its enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own."
                ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Steven, I have never tried, but would a graphics tablet work.
                  http://www.newegg.com/

-Scott
                  -Scott

Comment

cjo...i bought my s/o a mouse...he loves it. jim is c5/6 with little hand function. i can't seem to find the site...thought i saved it on my favorites [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] i will call him tonight and ask him to look at the make & name...it cost me $100.
                    and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Comment

cjo, I use a Logitech trackball this one http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=5003

I just lay my index and middle finger on the ball to move the cursor and my thumb has just enough function to left-click (select). I right click (context) by rolling my hand over and pressing the right button with the outside edge of my hand(if you can picture that). If you can't use your thumb, you could also configure the mouse so that the right button was your select and use the outside of your hand to select. Like Quadpro does, I set the small left button to click lock in the control panel so I don't have to hold the button down to drag.

Anyway, that works for me. They make a lot of different styles.

[This message was edited by mattc on 03-05-04 at 06:17 PM.]

Comment

I use https://www.eyecontrol.com/store/store.wp2 which allows me to control the mouse with head movement as I have no hand function. Steve

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Slim. I have thought about getting an Intuos tablet before to practice drawing on the PC, but have never thought about using it as a mouse. Does anyone have any experience with graphic tablets?

-Steven

[This message was edited by Steven Edwards on 03-05-04 at 07:06 PM.]

Comment

hey cjo, i use a track ball mouse for my desktop and laptop. i hope this helps.....
                            its the same one that mattc uses.......chad

Comment

i use a regular mouse, grasp it with both palms on a flat surface on my lap. I click using the bottomside of my little finger.
                              "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Working...
                              X