Router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router?

I've ran into a problem hoping maybe someone can help. Here it is..

I just switched internet providers this past summer. I have a desktop computer & a laptop. They are both wireless, but the problem is I can only use one or the other. I am not able to use both at the same time. Same with xbox live..I have to choose between xbox or computer I'm not able to use both at the same time. I get a message that says IP conflict. My assumption is that the router does work because I'm getting a connection..just not to both. I called my internet provider & they said I should be able to connect more than one computer. They told me it was my router....So I reset the router, turned everything off, waited a couple minutes. Still nothing. I have no idea what to do??? Do I need a new router?? I have no idea, but I want this fixed

Anyone have any ideas??
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Call the tech support for the router. I have a linksys, and they've always helped me get things to work when needed.

One thing to try first - turn everything off. Then turn them on again, in this order (waiting for each to fully come up before turning the next on)

1) turn on cable modem
    2) turn on router
    3) turn on computer(s)

Probably won't fix it, but it does sometimes.

Comment

Does each device have a unique IP address?
      Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
      I've ran into a problem hoping maybe someone can help. Here it is..

I just switched internet providers this past summer. I have a desktop computer & a laptop. They are both wireless, but the problem is I can only use one or the other. I am not able to use both at the same time. Same with xbox live..I have to choose between xbox or computer I'm not able to use both at the same time. I get a message that says IP conflict. My assumption is that the router does work because I'm getting a connection..just not to both. I called my internet provider & they said I should be able to connect more than one computer. They told me it was my router....So I reset the router, turned everything off, waited a couple minutes. Still nothing. I have no idea what to do??? Do I need a new router?? I have no idea, but I want this fixed

Anyone have any ideas??
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember some different router settings for the different internet providers.

Also, in the dim recesses of memory here, I seem to remember some problem with IP addresses being mis-assigned somehow when the devices were powered on all at once, or other than in the order I listed above.

Comment

What brand and model router is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
            Does each device have a unique IP address?
            I'm not sure??

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
              What brand and model router is it?
              It's linksys model WRT54G v.3

Comment

good info. What operating system are you using? An example would be Windows XP, SP 3 or one of the Macintosh versions.
                It's linksys model WRT54G v.3
                Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

My desktop is XP and my laptop is Vista.

Update: I just tried calling Linksys customer support to see if they could help me. They said my serial number is listed as being out of warranty and not qualify for support.

Comment

Oh bummer, sorry to hear that. I hope the forum folks can figure it out, that was all I knew

Comment

So, you are able to establish a wireless connection to the router and access the Internet with each device separately, but not with any two at the same time?
                      My desktop is XP and my laptop is Vista.

Update: I just tried calling Linksys customer support to see if they could help me. They said my serial number is listed as being out of warranty and not qualify for support.
                      Foolish

Comment

Yes, all of my devices connect to the internet just not 2 at one time.

Comment

That's good news that everything connects.

http://linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G

Try going to this site and read the FAQs about checking your router settings. Note that there are different tabs for XP and Vista.

Take your time and know that you can't break anything without using a hammer.

Yes, all of my devices connect to the internet just not 2 at one time.
                          Foolish

Comment

My guess is that you need to configure both your router's wireless settings as well as your computers to use DHCP. You need change both at the same time. The manual and help for your router is here, I don't have that router or I could give more help.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G

Windows XP DHCP Configuration

1. From the Start menu, select Settings and then Network Connections, or select Control Panel and then double-click on the Network Connections icon.
                            2. Right-click on the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
                            3. In the General tab, select (highlight) Internet Protocols (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
                            4. Check the radio buttons for Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
                            5. Click the OK button and close the window

I would really have someone who knows what they are doing help you. If you mess it up no internets for you.
                            Last edited by t8burst; 30 Dec 2009, 1:33 PM. Reason: stern warning

Comment

Just from looking at that I think I've found one problem. My desktop computer & my router are in two different rooms. So I'm not able to directly connect the router to the actual computer.

I used to be able to directly connect the router & computer, but I switched to DSL. I don't have a phone jack in my computer room so the modemn & router are in a spare bedroom with a phone jack.

I'm sooo lost. lol. If I just went & bought a new router do you think it would be working then? or will I still be screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X