No announcement yet.

Droid versus IPHONE! What should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heck, I have trouble just getting my messages from my regular cell phone (Duh on me)

Comment

There's a new iPhone on the way as well...
      "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Comment

The new Iphone leaked.
        http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Comment

Droid is where's it's at. Sure iPhone has a ton of apps, but remember that it was out for over a year before the App store was available. They also like to charge you for a software update every 6 months..
          Most everything I say is

Comment

I don't even know what half this thread is talking about, lol.

I've stuck with simple Sony Ericssons for years. I like that even on newer models everything pretty much stays the same as far as buttons and menu etc. Most things I do on my phone I can do without looking and I never want to relearn on something new.

When I signed a new contract I tried a fancy new phone. It lasted one evening. I'm technology challenged. Soon I'll need someone to set my clock on various new items! I remember always setting my mom's alarm and VCR clock. I'm going to be like that I fear.
            Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I'm going for the HTC EVO when it comes out this summer, before the new iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWheelz View Post
                Droid is where's it's at. Sure iPhone has a ton of apps, but remember that it was out for over a year before the App store was available. They also like to charge you for a software update every 6 months..
                Um, no, the iPhone software has always been free (they only charge iPod Touch owners). The iPhone has the best track record for firmware updates. Google's updates are far more sporadic (lots of Android phones will never get 2.0+).

Apple's momentum is just ridiculous now. The June / July model (my bet is on it being called the 'iPhone HD') will own the smartphone space. Microsoft shouldn't even bother with Mobile 7...

Chris.
                Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

There was for sure one of the iPhone updates a couple of years ago that was a charge for the iPhone users. I know as I worked for iTunes at the time and had to deal with iPhone customers writing in all day complaining about having to purchase it.
                  Most everything I say is

Comment

There was for sure one of the iPhone updates a couple of years ago that was a charge for the iPhone users. I know as I worked for iTunes at the time and had to deal with iPhone customers writing in all day complaining about having to purchase it.
                    I've owned an iPhone since the 1st gen. I've never paid for a software upgrade.

Comment

Android v iPhone

I tried both Android and iPhone.

The Android email client would not work with self signed certificates.

The iPhone sample (using earlier firmware) could be made to accept the certificate.

http://images.apple.com/iphone/busin...rtificates.pdf

This bug in the Android email client has been fixed, but the fix has not been incorporated so the email client has been forked into K9 (an Android Mutt).

As we have many 100s of email users we did not have to patch the Android software with K9 for each user so we went for iPhone.

We got iPhones. The the problem was that the version 3.1.3 iPhone firmware has similar bug where it will not accept self signed certificates.

Refusing self signed certificates is illegal third line forcing in some jurisdictions. (An unlawful restriction of trade.)

What is required is that you be able to permanently accept a self signed certificate via a network you trust so that you can protect your information later over less trustworthy networks.

With the 3.1.3 iPhone firmware I had to extract public key and put it in a file cert.crt on our web site and then get it via HTTP.

With previous iPhone firmware you just go to the web site via a trusted network via HTTPS and then review and then permanently add certificate.

Rejecting self signed certificates is a big security issue. I.e. it makes security much worse not better. Such changes creeping in indicate the iPhone code base itself is not secure.

Failure to fix a serious security bug Android is just as bad.

With iPhones you need to crack them to install free or 3rd party applications.

The cracks like Blackra1n are not free.
                      http://zagam.net/

Comment

The "regression" in iPhone 3.1.3 defeats Diffie-Hellman.
                        It is more secure to use untrusted HTTPS first rather than accept the certificate via HTTP.
                        The old certificate dialog and maintenance was also better.

For more information on "third line forcing" which is illegal in Australia see:
                        http://www.mallesons.com/publication...v/8201946w.htm
                        http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/816377
                        http://zagam.net/

Comment

This is simply not true - you are confusing iPod Touches with iPhones. The very first iPod Touch paid software update was the one that caused a furore.

Chris.
                          Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Actually I would say Android has all the momentum in the smartphone dept.
                            http://metrics.admob.com/

Comment

Well, they finally got the issue with Bluetooth voice dialing fixed with the new software update for Droid. It is supposed to be compatible with adobe flash now also

Comment

I personally love Droid! The new iPhones have not gotten very good reviews. Hubby has the HTC Incredible and its an awesome phone. HTC Eris is what I have right now, and its not so hot. I'm stealing his Incredible very soon. Its got an LED backlight and the screen is supersensitive which make usage really easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X