Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the fly laptop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    On the fly laptop

    As some of you may know, I'm facing eviction from the house I've rented and been living in for over 30 years. Not knowing at this point if I'll even wind up with better prospects than a place where the county puts the homeless, I'm thinking I should maybe consider getting an inexpensive laptop so I'd have some way to access the internet and keep in touch with the CCC.

    I've used only PCs to date but would be open to all suggestions. I could spend up to $300 so I'm thinking I'll have to settle for used and have been looking at ebay for possibilities.

    What do you think of this?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D6...%3A1|294%3A200

    The seller has five of them.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 3 Mar 2009, 2:14 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

    #2
    I'm writing this on a Latitude D610, and like it very much.
    My company gave me one, and I bought an identical one for my personal use. It's more solid than Dell's Inspiron, which is made more for the mass consumer market.
    - Richard

    Comment


      #3
      Right now walmart is selling the mini laptops for $298 brand new and they are wireless.
      You can check them out on their website - they are Acer brand and don't look too bad - the size makes them seem real portable.
      Last edited by cathi; 3 Mar 2009, 2:33 AM. Reason: Added info
      Cathi - Wife of Edward (C6-7 complete) as of Sept. 2,2007

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
        I'm writing this on a Latitude D610, and like it very much.
        My company gave me one, and I bought an identical one for my personal use. It's more solid than Dell's Inspiron, which is made more for the mass consumer market.
        - Richard
        Thanks Richard.
        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
        J.B.S.Haldane

        Comment


          #5
          http://www.gotapex.com/
          Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Juke_spin View Post
            As some of you may know, I'm facing eviction from the house I've rented and been living in for over 30 years. Not knowing at this point if I'll even wind up with better prospects than a place where the county puts the homeless, I'm thinking I should maybe consider getting an inexpensive laptop so I'd have some way to access the internet and keep in touch with the CCC.

            I've used only PCs to date but would be open to all suggestions. I could spend up to $300 so I'm thinking I'll have to settle for used and have been looking at ebay for possibilities.

            What do you think of this?

            http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-LATITUDE-D6...%3A1|294%3A200

            The seller has five of them.
            Juke,

            I am so sorry to hear about this and hope that you can stay.

            Wise.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
              Juke,

              I am so sorry to hear about this and hope that you can stay.

              Wise.
              Your sentiments are much appreciated, Wise, but staying is out of the question.

              https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115205

              Even if the owner reversed herself I've realized I want to live in a city where I'll have nighttime access to public transportation so I can go to movie theaters.
              "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
              J.B.S.Haldane

              Comment


                #8
                I think once you get moved and settled in, it's going to be a good thing. I feel all will be fine dear, and I think you'll be glad you moved.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by I Care View Post
                  I think once you get moved and settled in, it's going to be a good thing. I feel all will be fine dear, and I think you'll be glad you moved.
                  Yea, though we roll through the valley of the shadow of death I shall look for a silver lining. Thx for the message, I Care, and I'll definitely keep it in mind.
                  "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                  J.B.S.Haldane

                  Comment


                    #10
                    That's a tough situation to be in - facing eviction. Wondering if you are seeking alternate housing. Since you've lived in your current digs for 30 yrs., many accessible apartments have been built, including senior apartment living, which have units with large bathrooms.
                    Some of the senior places have rules that state you can get in if you have a disability - even if you don't meet the age 55 criteria. Suggest you consider visiting some of them and getting on any waiting lists. They may be able to prioritize your need due to looming eviction.
                    You can check them out on your computer - lots of them have web sites.
                    If you need help try visiting a local Center for Independent Living - they are located all over the state of California to provide resources for disabled.
                    Good luck!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Steve: I think it would be safer to purchase a new Netbook instead of this used laptop on eBay.

                      Contact your County Supervisor ASAP for your housing crisis.

                      Good luck.
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                      --General George Patton

                      Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                      ––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by PN View Post
                        Steve: I think it would be safer to purchase a new Netbook instead of this used laptop on eBay.

                        Contact your County Supervisor ASAP for your housing crisis.

                        Good luck.
                        PN, thanks, those are out of stock but Amazon's got them for a little more and free shipping.

                        http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA150-11...6161803&sr=1-1

                        Right on the supervisor. That goes on today's To Do list too.
                        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                        J.B.S.Haldane

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I can so see you with access to better transportation in the city Steve. It's one reason I live where I do even though I've had routes and drivers from hell on both mass and paratrans.

                          Keep me posted on where and how you are.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Juke_spin View Post
                            PN, thanks, those are out of stock but Amazon's got them for a little more and free shipping.

                            http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA150-11...6161803&sr=1-1

                            Right on the supervisor. That goes on today's To Do list too.
                            The NetBook on Amazon has all the right specs. Office Depot is probably having a hard time keeping them in stock, because these computers have been selling like hotcakes. It looks like Best Buy has them in their inventory. The only reason I caution against this solid-state HD is because of its size limitation.

                            Steve, best of luck.
                            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                            --General George Patton

                            Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                            ––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Juke_spin View Post
                              Yea, though we roll through the valley of the shadow of death I shall look for a silver lining. Thx for the message, I Care, and I'll definitely keep it in mind.
                              cool...I have turned my pms back on, and will check in frequently, let me know dear.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X