No announcement yet.

UK visitor with SCI

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UK visitor with SCI

    i am due to holiday in the Naples FL area in January and during my stay planned to use Max Health Care for limited but essential home health services. With time rapidly running out they anounced that i need a US Physician to provide doctors orders before they can supply me with a RN to help?!

    Can anyone suggest an alternative source for hourly home care or help me obtain Doctors orders? every Physician i have spoken to so far has been unhelpful.


    Neil (C6/7)

    All USA home health agencies require a physician's order to provide skilled care (which includes bowel and bladder care, tube feedings, trach care, etc. but not ADL, bathing or transfer assistance). It is unfortunate that they did not tell you this ahead of time. The physician ordering it must also be licensed in the state (Florida). I know of no sources for agency help for skilled care in Florida that are not through a HHA unless you are here and can run ads in the paper for someone to help you (and interview, screen and train the person). No legitimate physician would write orders for anything without seeing you first.

    You could try calling the ILC (independent living center) near where you will be visiting to see if they have a list of PCAs looking for private pay work. It may be difficult over the holidays especially. You can find a list of Florida ILCs here:

    You may need to bring a caregiver with you from home.

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.