My Book Is Finally Out There!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kate,

I sent email to the coordinator at the LIFE CENTER at RIC, and the SCI peer support coordinator and the coordinator for caregiving and women's support groups at RIC. I think this would be a great addition to the Library collection. The LIFE center also has guest speakers, including many authors who read from their books and tell their stories. If you plan on a book tour/signing, spin by the center!
    If you need any additional info/contacts, plz let me know.
    Last edited by chick; 12-19-2006, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chick
      Hi Kate,

I sent email to the coordinator at the LIFE CENTER at RIC, and the SCI peer support coordinator and the coordinator for caregiving and women's support groups at RIC. I think this would be a great addition to the Library collection. The LIFE center also has guest speakers, including many authors who read from their books and tell their stories. If you plan on a book tour/signing, spin by the center!
      If you need any additional info/contacts, plz let me know.
      Wow, thanks--I'm currently in the process of getting the book into reading groups around the Pacific Northwest. My plan with that is to show up and read for them and collect some kind of (hopefully) positive feedback, which I can then send on to bookstores in other places so that they can recommend the thing to their reading groups. If the book does well, imo, it will be because of that sort of semi-disorganized word of mouth recommendation.

Your email is an example of that kind of thing in action, and I'd love to follow up with your contacts . . . thanks so much, and please PM me with the details. It would be great to go out to Chicago and read!

The people in my office (none of whom knew me until a few years post) all have been getting their copies in the mail and bringing them by my desk for autographing. Too strange! I have to say I'd pretty much forgotten what it was like to have your family life so thoroughly exposed to strangers. This is taking me back.

Comment

Mazeltov!

Ordering my copy now.

Comment

Kate, they ordered a copy for the Center!

P.s. my email exchange with them sent to your PT.
          Last edited by chick; 12-19-2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Kate I'm not much on reading but I will order this , I sent you a PM

Comment

Your book arrived today, Kate. Looking forward to reading it this weekend.

Comment

I am reading it compliments of dan_nc who gave me a copy (thank you again!). I have to read it slowly though as I can feel the pain and confusion dripping off the pages. This means you are a very talented writer!

Ami
                Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel
                  I am reading it compliments of dan_nc who gave me a copy (thank you again!). I have to read it slowly though as I can feel the pain and confusion dripping off the pages. This means you are a very talented writer!

Ami

oy, or maybe it means that you know the feeling and recognize it. I'm grateful to all of you who can bring yourselves to go there . . . my hope of course is that those people who've been telling me for years that they "can't imagine" how it was will really get it.

It's been interesting so far to have people in our church and at my office read the thing and come to me with questions about sci itself. The book acts kind of like an entryway for them to maybe think of paralysis in a new way. I just hope they remember it when it's time to lobby for basic medical research.

Comment

I wasn't "there", Chad was injured 19 years ago almost and we've been together only 3 years. So I've heard it second hand from him and his family. But your words really sear into my consciousness ... well done Kate, I am very impressed. -- Ami

Originally posted by kate
                    oy, or maybe it means that you know the feeling and recognize it. I'm grateful to all of you who can bring yourselves to go there . . . my hope of course is that those people who've been telling me for years that they "can't imagine" how it was will really get it.

It's been interesting so far to have people in our church and at my office read the thing and come to me with questions about sci itself. The book acts kind of like an entryway for them to maybe think of paralysis in a new way. I just hope they remember it when it's time to lobby for basic medical research.
                    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

I just ordered my copy....
                      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy
                        I just ordered my copy....
                        thanks daisy. I just talked to my amazing father-in-law, who is pretty much a major character in the book. He loves it, lol, which makes me so glad. He kept me from going around the bend again and again.

Comment

Hi Kate,

I got my book right before my guy sustained this recent TBI and have been reading it the whole time--in fits and starts cause I've been busy with him. It's really helped me. I've been fighting with doctors and nurses and front desk people since the day of his wreck, and fighting to keep him safe, and I am tired of fighting. But, your book helps me find the strength to keep fighting. If you guys can do all you have done, we can surely do this. My favorite quote from the book so far..."Fully armed".

Thanks Kate!
                          "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Comment

Originally posted by WM
                            Hi Kate,

I got my book right before my guy sustained this recent TBI and have been reading it the whole time--in fits and starts cause I've been busy with him. It's really helped me. I've been fighting with doctors and nurses and front desk people since the day of his wreck, and fighting to keep him safe, and I am tired of fighting. But, your book helps me find the strength to keep fighting. If you guys can do all you have done, we can surely do this. My favorite quote from the book so far..."Fully armed".

Thanks Kate!
                            That's so good to hear! For those who don't know what we're talking about, sometime during the first couple of weeks after Bruce got hurt, I was in touch with a friend of a friend--a woman who had broken her back the year before on a Mount Rainier training expedition. She spent time in the same hospital as Bruce, and when I asked her for some words of encouragement to give him, she wrote this back:

"Do you lose your mind and embrace despondency, bitterness, and anger . . . or do you keep your sense of humor and love of life and face this new challenge as you've faced all challenges. Fully armed."

She was so right.

Comment

I got my book today Kate and I cant wait to start it...I got a few chapters left in another book so hopefully tomorrow...
                              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Congratulations!!! Writing a book is a tremendous accomplishment. I am just so impressed. I can't wait to read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X