Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odin arrives tomorrow night!!! Photo thread to be here ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odin arrives tomorrow night!!! Photo thread to be here ...

OMG, I am about to explode from anticipation, excitement and terror! I've never so much as owned a dog, much less tried to train a service dog. Chad is over the moon ... ! Puppy arrives at 11:31 pm (yes, PM!!) from Salt Lake City and I've already called the cargo terminal of the airline he is flying on to let them know to expect a live animal and to please please please get him off the plane asap. They said that they sure would. Love small towns!

This will be the thread where I post photos - I hope to post some Friday, but who knows how crazy it will be on the first day home. I was just so excited when I found out he was coming tomorrow that I had to start a preemptive thread.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Congrats, Dogs are great! I just retired my service dog (13 years old), she is living the retired life at my Moms just hanging out and being a farm dog now.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

no, you're not excited...not at all Nothing like a kid on Christmas eve.... I can't wait to see pics of Odin...So how'd ya come up with his name? Sorry I haven't gotten back to your most recent PM, will get back to you soon...
      'Chelle
      L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Chad picked the name Odin. He is very into Norse gods / mythology, he is very knowledgable (is that spelled correctly??) on them and it is good fun to listen to him talk about them. He recently named his new wheelchair "Freya", a Norse goddess name. I had named the old one Bessie! So the new slick chair needed a more fitting name. Anyway, the brother to Freya is Frey, so we were going to call the dog Frey, but I knew we would end up calling him Freya as a nickname because a single syllable name always get "cute-ized". And Freya is female and his chair's name. So, we internet searched on Norse gods and found Odin. We both saw it and LOVED it. So Odin it is! I feel "Odie" as a nickname in his near future.

Ami

(ETA: 'chelle, see your PMs)
        Last edited by zillazangel; 09-19-2006, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Ami,

Odie will require that you and the family wash your hands more often. My greyhound gets petted and combed a lot more just after I catheterize than just before I'm planning to. Pets, and dogs in particular, are lovable creatures but are bacteria carriers too. Just a friendy heads up.

I can't live without a dog, they're the only people who fully understand me.
          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Ami, that's such exciting news! I can't wait to see pictures of Odin! Of course I overdo it usually having too many dogs, but they're such wonderful family members. A dog offers you such unconditional love. I can't imagine being without one (or 5 or 6!) .

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel
              I had named the old one Bessie!
              Bessie the cow!?
              Get the dog to the vet, first thing first. Or, get verification of previous vet and paperwork, o that makes me nervous. And, get Frontline (or similar) on the canine ewwwwwwww! I hope you know the history on this K9! Allergies? Good hips?
              O aren't I fun. Just crossing T, dotting i's
              Last edited by Lizbv; 09-21-2006, 02:57 PM.

Comment

We've always used Advantage for fleas. Very successfully. No ill affects from the dog, no fleas, and theirs nothing on their skin to rub off on you our your house. Order from 1800PetMeds, based on the size of the dog.

Go to the vet first thing, regardless of any papers that came with the dog. That's YOUR follow up to ensure the paperwork is as correct as possible. Of course some things may not be obvious for years (hips for instance), but they can confirm heart, lungs, worms, eyes, hearing, etc. And remember that a dog is a living being, they change and there are no true guarantees (if there were, none of us would know each other ).

Oh yeah, and enjoy the little ball of energy. Puppies are so cute.
                BeeBee

Comment

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great news.Happy for you.Post lots of pics and may your life be easier and better.
                  Be yourself!!!
                  http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                  BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                  Sponsored Athlete
                  http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                  www.genegvd.com

Comment

Zillazangel,

Looking forward to some pictures of this Norse god!

Comment

HE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

.... with a new name, lol! I was given excellent advice by another member here that "odin" sounded too much like "no" and would not be a good name because of that, it could confuse him. So we renamed him Stanley, in honor of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes! (this was Chad's idea of course ).

He bonded instantly and strongly with us both and he is now my shadow EVERYWHERE I go. I tried so hard to get a photo of him but he will not get far enough from me to get a photo and obviously, chad cannot take one! So my folks are coming to take a photo later tonight I hope.

I am EXHAUSTED - we got home at 12:30 am last night, we all went to sleep for the first time at 3:30 am after 1 poop and 2 pee accidents, 2 walks and lots of love. I was up a little before 6 am for another walk, pee, etc, then back to sleep from 6:30 to 9:00 and was up then for another walk, pee, food, etc. I have been up ever since today and I'm about to drop in my shoes from sleep deprivation. So I will post more later. And Betsy - yes, we have all of his proper papers, he has a vet appointment tomorrow at 12 and we have all of his health records. He has great hip scores apparently, not sure what they are, but our vet here reviewed them before we bought him. It's all a mystery to me! He will get treated for worms, fleas, whatever if he needs it.

BTW, he is a VERY docile and loving dog. He was immediately submissive to both Chad and I and Julian had to establish himself, but only just a little.

More later ...... zzzzzzz

Ami

Comment

Ask the vet if they will give you a discount due to him being a service dog.
                        www.cawvsports.org
                        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                        We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

HE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!

.... with a new name, lol! I was given excellent advice by another member here that "odin" sounded too much like "no" and would not be a good name because of that, it could confuse him. So we renamed him Stanley, in honor of the Stanley Cup winning Carolina Hurricanes! (this was Chad's idea of course ).

He bonded instantly and strongly with us both and he is now my shadow EVERYWHERE I go. I tried so hard to get a photo of him but he will not get far enough from me to get a photo and obviously, chad cannot take one! So my folks are coming to take a photo later tonight I hope.

I am EXHAUSTED - we got home at 12:30 am last night, we all went to sleep for the first time at 3:30 am after 1 poop and 2 pee accidents, 2 walks and lots of love. I was up a little before 6 am for another walk, pee, etc, then back to sleep from 6:30 to 9:00 and was up then for another walk, pee, food, etc. I have been up ever since today and I'm about to drop in my shoes from sleep deprivation. So I will post more later. And Betsy - yes, we have all of his proper papers, he has a vet appointment tomorrow at 12 and we have all of his health records. He has great hip scores apparently, not sure what they are, but our vet here reviewed them before we bought him. It's all a mystery to me! He will get treated for worms, fleas, whatever if he needs it.

BTW, he is a VERY docile and loving dog. He was immediately submissive to both Chad and I and Julian had to establish himself, but only just a little.

More later ...... zzzzzzz

Ami
                          Ami, I can't wait to see pictures of Stan!
                          Daniel

Comment

Congratulations! I love the part where you can't get far enough away to take a picture! YOu will have to show your son how to use the camera!
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

we all went to sleep for the first time at 3:30 am after 1 poop and 2 pee accidents, 2 walks and lots of love. I was up a little before 6 am for another walk, pee, etc, then back to sleep from 6:30 to 9:00 and was up then for another walk, pee, food, etc. I have been up ever since today and I'm about to drop in my shoes from sleep deprivation.
                              Hey Ami...

I am so glad he arrived....that kind of sounds like having a kid. LOL

I am so happy for you. Looking forward to seeing the pictures....

Get some sleep....LOL
                              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X