X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 30something
    Hi,

I'm fascinated!
    My best friend just started breeding labs and poodles. I'd never heard of Labradoodles until she got into it. She had always bred labs exclusively until she had heard of labradoodles. She does it mainly for the popularity of the nonallergenic feature of these dogs (and they bring in $300-400 more than labs do). Anyway, what is the difference in an Aussie Labradoodle?

Thanks!
    Both the Golden Reteiver Club of America and the Lab eqivalent have designated 'Doodles' mutts. Like all hybrids you can't guarentee that the gene from the poodle for hypoallergenic qualities will appear in all pups. This is not to say they make bad service dogs or pets. Just be aware that it takes a lot of serious breeding to guarentee any trait.

Now any ways suggested to get my Golden Retreiver/Lab pup at 19 weeks to stop mouthing people? She is still teething so I'm hoping it will stop soon on its own.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
      Now any ways suggested to get my Golden Retreiver/Lab pup at 19 weeks to stop mouthing people? She is still teething so I'm hoping it will stop soon on its own.
      Good Luck Sue.....Ive been trying to teach my terrier for a year.......He has learned everything else but this....LOL
      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton
        Both the Golden Reteiver Club of America and the Lab eqivalent have designated 'Doodles' mutts. Like all hybrids you can't guarentee that the gene from the poodle for hypoallergenic qualities will appear in all pups. This is not to say they make bad service dogs or pets. Just be aware that it takes a lot of serious breeding to guarentee any trait.

Hi, Sue - Belated congrats on your pup! Some things to do re the biting - first try a loud 'ouch' or actual growl (if you can manage it!), and immediately turning around and getting away from her. If that's difficult, when she's nipping your hand, try putting (I mean -shoving!-) your whole hand into her mouth, all the way to the back, and say whatever your command is going to be - 'no bite' or whatever. If she's really persistent, a sharp 'no bite!' and a 'scruff shake' - what mama dog would do if her brat was getting out of hand works. Another one - whenever she gives you gentle licks, use the word 'kiss' or whatever you word you want; then when she starts to bite, use the 'kiss' word. All of this is based on the 'OTR' - observation, timing, reward - theory of dog training. Observe your pup doing something positive; act on it right away, and reward for good behavior. Same goes with undesireable behavior - act on it immediately.

There's a wonderful book on puppy training by the Monks of New Skete, who raise German Shepherds. Also Cesar Milan's book is good in terms of establishing yourself as the 'pack leader'. A lot of his book deals with retraining of dogs who already have behavior problems, but the basic philosophy is a good one. Dogs are pack animals; they want a strong pack leader - ie, alpha - if you don't step up to be that leader, they'll assume they're it, and there the problems start!

Comment

Our baby, Odin, will arrive here on Thursday of next week. YAY! Photos of course will be posted shortly thereafter.
          Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQisforquad
            She does not pull at all when she is walking with me but does walk with her head down and will stop to eat food and lunge at food just out of reach.
            I don't know why a gentle leader can't be used w/service dogs; would be interesting to find out!

She does need to learn to walk w/her head up and paying attention to you! Try making a command word for looking at you, then whenever she does look, use that word and praise her to the heavens! SHe'll associate that word with looking to you, and you can give her other direction from there. If you can't make a leash correction yourself, you need to have your trainer work with you and give her corrections to keep her head up and away from those interesting smells on the ground! You could also work with her at home for general food 'aversion' by placing something tempting within her reach, and not allowing her to even act like she's going to go get it.

The only other thing I can think of and this may sound silly - but is she getting enough to eat? She's a fast growing large breed pup, and needs a lot of nutrients for those growth spurts. Check with your vet re feeding - types of food, quantities and feeding times.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv
              why not
              I bought a gentle leader Betsy because Trooper had one. Just ordered a harness/vest and patches today. OMG, this is starting to feel real!!! He is due to be shipped via air to us next Thursday. ((( jangled nerves!))))
              Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel
                I bought a gentle leader Betsy because Trooper had one. Just ordered a harness/vest and patches today. OMG, this is starting to feel real!!! He is due to be shipped via air to us next Thursday. ((( jangled nerves!))))
                I cant wait to see pictures.......
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Hi. Zilla and family, congratulations on your dog. I do not know much about the "breed" other than I heard they are good and a "new" concept. I think I saw one on the street the other day. Do they get tall? well, the picture looks cute!

I guess I asked about the gentle leader because I've seen other dogs with them, and my dog wears one. Maybe she was concerned about the neck?

Zilla, I know you want to make sure everything goes right with the dog, but I think in the beginning esp since its flying on a plane to a new strange (at first) place, that just to try to establish a bond with the dog is most important as it may be so confused at its surroundings, environment etc. Just to play with the dog, and work on basic obedience skills. Is someone coming with the dog or by itself? Using The gentle leader will likely take time, unless its allready acquainted with one. After a while of the dog settling its nerves, I would introduce it with treats by showing it to the dog, letting him sleep with it, placing it on his snout only then positive reinforcement, praise, and a treat. etc. I have no idea if Labradoodles use one? I know ppl with various dog breeds that use them.

How big is your pup going to get? Wow, what a big undertaking! You guys can do it. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to pictures. Talk to you soon. Hey Chad and little one!

Comment

Working...
                  X