Compensation in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compensation in California

First and foremost, my husband is T level para and will be independet eventually. I sometimes get a little bashing from people who think I am babying him so I had to mention that first as my caveat. He is a little over 2 months post injury and still very sore and in an Aspen collar for about 4 more weeks.

I have had several people tell me that if I am caring for him right now, I can get money because I am the primary caregiver. Prior to the accident I was working, but only for 2 months so I can't get FMLA. Anyway, everyone says "My mom got money", or " My friend got money" but where? How?? I have already been to SS office and they are going to give me and my kids a whopping $50 each. Are there funds anywhere else?

Thanks

Hi - I know in Oregon through the State Department of Health and Services you can apply to become a Foster Care Home for a Family Member. If you qualify you can get I think up to $725 per month as primary caregiver. Not sure how it works in CA. Hope that helps....

Comment

God bless the USA
      Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
        T level para and will be independet eventually. I
        I noticed in some of your other posts that he has herrington rods. Is he wearing a full body back brace? I am T12 and I had to wear a brace for several months after they placed my rods. I hated that thing.

As far as compensation. Your state should offer some sort of assistance through Social Services (ie food stamps, check for your kids) Ours is not all that great in NC. I wish i could help more......
        Good luck
        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Check State of California disability insurance. Its sort of a crazy deal but I guess it works.

Comment

I was told I didn't qualify for anything in NC due to my income.
            Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
              I was told I didn't qualify for anything in NC due to my income.
              I didnt get anything but my daughter did. I was lucky my family took care of us the 18 months it took to get my social security started. Then back to college and job, back to social security then job, back to social security then job again.......Everytime I have a medical problem. LOL

Seriously, Chopperchick........please talk to your lawyer about some of this. I have known of someone local who lost everything he had because of a car accident. Social Security and state assistance will not provide much.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

My lawyer told us that we can try to get workmens comp and also medi-cal. What is the difference between medical and medicare? We do get disability but that doesn't even pay the mortgage. My family started a trust fund right after the accident so that has supplmented our income.

I was wrong about the harrington rods. I kinda picked up that term here on CC and assumed that is what he had. He actually has titanium rods. We met people in rehab that wore the turtle shell for months. He only wore a TLSO (it wasn't the hard grey shell one) for about 3 weeks and that was only when they put him in the chair. As a matter of fact Dan, it looks like the one you wore in the hospital.

Comment

If you have insurance, you may not be able to get medi-cal. Medicare wont kick in until he gets disabilty (takes 18 months ussually) and has been disabled for two years. If he is getting short term disability from his employer, he wont get SSDI until he stops getting the short term.

He should have already applied for disability/medicare through the social worker at your rehab hospital.
                  Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 5 Jun 2006, 2:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy
                    If you have insurance, you may not be able to get medi-cal. Medicare wont kick in until he gets disabilty (takes 18 months ussually) and has been disabled for two years. If he is getting short term disability from his employer, he wont get SSDI until he stops getting the short term.

He should have already applied for disability/medicare through the social worker at your rehab hospital.
                    The wondrous nature of SSDI and Medicare. Back in '79 when I was paralyzed the waiting period for receiving SSDI benefits was 6 months with such a diagnosis. I was on SSI (Welfare I guess it's called) for the first 6 months and then SSDI/Medicare kicked in.

Don't blink or it'll be 3, 4 or 5 years before you need to "prove" to them that you're paralyzed for life! The doctors at the ER knew instantly, after viewing the X-rays, that I'd never walk again. On the Discovery Health Channel show "Life in the ER" and other similar shows the doctors know instantly, with 99% certainty, after viewing the CT scan or MRI, if the patient will ever walk again. And they say so.... and really hate to see it because they know there's nothing they can do to help except perhaps give a high dose of methylprednisolone and "fixate" the spinal break with wires, plates and screws to keep it from getting worse.

I remember trying to get my neurosurgeon to give me a little hope.... so I asked him for some odds. He knew I'd never walk again but trying to be honest yet not dash all my hopes said about 10%. He knew it was zero but was being nice!

Does anyone know if you get retroactive SSDI payments from the date of injury? Minus perhaps the SSI or "Welfare" payments that may have been received?
                    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
                      Does anyone know if you get retroactive SSDI payments from the date of injury? Minus perhaps the SSI or "Welfare" payments that may have been received?
                      if i remember correctly, when i was approved for ssi they paid retro active to the time i sent in the paperwork. disability came later with no retro payments.
                      Godspeed...
                      freewheelchairmission.org

Comment

Your social worker at the rehab unit should have gone over all this with you at length. They should also have helped you or him with applications for any benefits he was eligible for. Call them and get an outpatient appointment to do this.

You can also get help with this (actually he should be working on this too) through your local Independent Living Center (ILC). http://www.ilusa.com/links/ilcenters.htm#CA
                        These organizations are funded partially by the state and local grants, and membership, and are run by and for people with disabilities. They will know programs in your area and resources, and can also provide education about how to access and maximize these.

Was he injured while working? This is the only way he would be eligible for Worker's Comp in CA. This is completely different from state disability insurance. If he was injured at work, he should have a Worker's Comp insurance company involved, with an assigned case manager. You should also see a state certified worker's comp attorney though, as this is the person who is really his advocate, not the case manager. Don't sign anything without an attorney if this was a WC case!

State disability insurance may apply if he was working for an employer who paid into this system. Not all do, and if he was technically self-employeed (contract worker) he probably does not qualify for this.

In order to get Medicare, he must be on SSDI, and can then get Medicare 24 months after his SSDI application is approved. SSDI is Social Security for those who have worked at least 40 quarters during which they paid into Social Security. If the person has not worked, or not paid into Social Security, then it is SSI they apply for (which is much less money). Medicare, SSI and SSDI are all federal programs. If he is going back to work, it is likely he will not qualify for SSDI or Medicare for very long, as going back to work will disqualify him (with a few exceptions).

Medicaid (Medi-Cal) is only available to people in CA who have no income (or only SSDI or SSI) and who have no more assets than $2000 in the bank/savings/stocks/etc. You can own one home and one vehicle. This applies to the entire family, not just to him. You cannot give away or sell possessions or money to qualify (within the last 2 years). Medi-Cal is a state program (administered by counties) that gets some federal funding.

IHSS is the program in California that pays for attendant care. It requires that you be very low income (generally only SSDI) and eligible for Medi-Cal. I suspect you don't qualify for Medi-Cal, so this may be a moot point. For those who are eligible, a social worker does an assessment in your home and determine how many hours of care he is entitled to. Even with the brace, it is rare that someone with paraplegia would get more than 4 hours daily. Once this is approved, he finds his own caregiver, certifies the hours they worked each week, and the county pays them. In my area, it is $8.50/hour. You can hire a family member if you choose. I don't think you are going to be supporting a family on this, even if you were eligible.

Kaiser does not pay for any attendant care; family, agency or otherwise. I believe this is his only insurance, correct? I am also assuming he did not have private or group long term care insurance, as this usually will pay for attendant care in the home if the person is disabled according to the definitons of the policy.

Have you considered going back to work? As we have discussed here before, it would be much better for him to be taking care of himself. There is no reason he should need to have you there all the time.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I was working and going to school. I go back to school in August. I haven't considered going back to work just yet. If school goes well, I will apply for the nursing program next fall.

Yes, Kaiser is our only insurance right now. Mike was in the union so we are covered without cost for the next 9 months, We get state disability insurance right now, but like I mentioned, it doesn't even pay the house payment. He has also applied for SSDI. Those were the only options the social worker at rehab told us about.

He was injured on his way home from work. We do not currently get workers comp, but my attorney said that we would possibly have a workers comp case.

Thanks for all the information. I have the application and I wondered why they asked if we gave anything away.

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
                            The wondrous nature of SSDI and Medicare. Back in '79 when I was paralyzed the waiting period for receiving SSDI benefits was 6 months with such a diagnosis. I was on SSI (Welfare I guess it's called) for the first 6 months and then SSDI/Medicare kicked in.
                            Well Bob I think we been at this too long to offer useful information.......LOL We better to stick to Trauma: Life in the ER. I love that show.

Anyway Good Luck Chopperchick.......Bug the crap out of the social worker until she gets all these things taken care of.

Comment

[QUOTE= If he is getting short term disability from his employer, he wont get SSDI until he stops getting the short term.
                              l.[/QUOTE]
                              you can recieve ssdi and short term disabiltiy long term disabilty , workers comp , lottery wiinings etc.

ssdi is independent of those. however your wc and ssdi combined wages usaully cant exceed 80% of your ssdi computed average wage.
                              usually long term diasability has a rider in there saying that when you start recieving ssdi your long term disabilty will be offset by your ssdi income=sucks
                              you can receive short term disabilty and ssdi
                              cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                              X